snapshot question

only studio shots have been printed where my wife has modelled for me, not snapshots
The way of the digital world. History will be the loser.

Note to self - make more prints (or Blurb albums etc.).

Street may have to be taken quickly before the moment passes, but there's still planning that goes into that shot before it even materialises - which I think makes it more than just a snapshot that turned out ok.

This shot I had a very tiny window to take the photo as I was going the opposite way on the escalator.. but I wasn't hasty in the planning of the shot - and I had artistic intent.

Q2 - London by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

and this street photo I took my time worked the angles.. it was not hastily taken.

Q2 - Le Monde by Daniel Cook, on Flickr
You misunderstand, I wasn't making the point that Street and Candid are just snapshots, it was more about the criteria that a quickly taken photograph with little planning isn't necessarily what could be called a snapshot.

I once attempted to join a group which prohibited snap shots from being submitted to the group. It was a street photography group. Street photography's typical photo taking technique means to shoot quickly without much thought. So then what is not a snap shot for this group, I asked. The answer was it was a photo that had not been completely Photoshopped to remove all the blemishes inherent in a snap shot. That was the definition of a snap shot for this particular group. Agree?

I probably don't; but I note that they are effectively defining a snapshot as a photograph which has inherent blemishes. That is interesting.

You misunderstand, I wasn't making the point that Street and Candid are just snapshots, it was more about the criteria that a quickly taken photograph with little planning isn't necessarily what could be called a snapshot.
Looking at it another way: perhaps a snapshot is what the viewer decides is a snapshot, regardless of the photographer's intentions. So one viewer might decide it's a snapshot while another may decide it's reportage. As the photographer I have no control over that so to me it's simply a photograph...

FeedingthebirdsatHydeParkCorner.jpg

Hmmm!

I would 'read' snapshot in many outcomes as "a record shot"....................by the following context?
  • In a lot of circumstances my aim is manage to take as many images as possible that meet the criteria I set myself
    i.e. in the case of ,perhaps, a wildlife day out - a high keeper rate of the target subject (and any others that present themselves ;) )

• the same would apply though with a more open self brief for general days out with the exception of any intentional planned subjects
    i.e. that whatever catches my eye?

• So what would make a snapshot in the above situations ~ anything still worth keeping but not necessarily to share as being more than a record/memory photograph.

This does not mean such an image is less worthy than one that I am more pleased with but that it maybe lacks something that makes it stand out from the rest???
FWIW @AndrewFlannigan the one of the bus conductor throwing out crumbs for the pigeons does have a message that stands out, as a "look at life" memory photograph ;)

Back