Sneak peak, first photoshoot of 2011

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is the first processed shot from my first shoot of 2011 :).

Please provide c&c as it will make a difference to the edits for the rest of the set that I will post later in the week.

5321384741_09ac7cb079_b.jpg

For me, I,m not sure the car is positioned in the best place. Either a couple of feet forward, so that it looks like the CCTV cameras are looking at it, or much further forward in front of the doors to the building.

Also, the very light areas on the front and rear wings attract the eye.

Sorry, you did ask for c&c.

No need to apologise, that the kind of response I'm after.

I'll see what I can do with the camera position :). Still working on my editing for the hotspots though.

No need to apologise, that the kind of response I'm after.

I'll see what I can do with the camera position :). Still working on my editing for the hotspots though.

1st thing i notice is that there is too much road between the car and you and then you have the same with the building , i was always told to be somethign like 30 70 so lets say building is 70 percent of the image and 30 percent for the road

at the moment it is more like 50 / 50 take away most the road not all and re post and lets see what it looks liek it looks kind of lost at the moment

I'm not convinced the crop works, it's a little too tight at the bottom, I kind of like the lead-in that the paving gives in the original.

You can't really do much about positioning so it looks like the CCTV is on it, the gap is too small.

Daz, hotspots can be fairly easy to sort out and those look fixable to me, drop me a msg in FB if you want a hand.

I prefer the roadway in view.

The geometry of the blocks blends nicely with that of the buildings and nice to see a contrast in the buildings, but I would like to have seen a shot taken 3ft to the left so that the road blocks take you to the centre of the car.

Nice depth and contrast though.

You have caught some good colorising of the RH windows.

Nice set of wheels. What is it?

Last edited:
You can't really do much about positioning so it looks like the CCTV is on it, the gap is too small.

If the mountain won't come to Muhammed ;)

I would like to have seen a shot taken 3ft to the left so that the road blocks take you to the centre of the car.

Obvious cloning - not sure how well it works in practice with a 5 minute fix from a 1024px web version but in theory the lead in works well- good call.

Last edited:
I think the original shot is fine actually. This may sound silly but if you can change the dark patch of road in the bottom left corner so that it is the same as the rest of the road it may work much better. At the moment it's playing a trick on the eyes making the car look like it's on a dodgy angle which it's not.

edit
obviously you'd spend more time cloning than me, I just did it very fast to show you what I'm trying to explain. I also took a little chunk off the top rather than the road so it's closer to the composition you wanted in the first place. I hope you don't mind...

168287_158274290886354_100001113525001_308493_5531739_n.jpg

Last edited:
1st thing i notice is that there is too much road between the car and you and then you have the same with the building , i was always told to be somethign like 30 70 so lets say building is 70 percent of the image and 30 percent for the road

at the moment it is more like 50 / 50 take away most the road not all and re post and lets see what it looks liek it looks kind of lost at the moment
I'm a tad confused as the original image goes with the rule of thirds for the position of the car, that leads the building and road to differ from 50/50 of the frame.

hope you dont mind had a quick crop will delete the image once you have seen it

to me this looks better but i dont have the original so try a crop yourself and see what you think with it been smaller doesnt give the impact but when i zoomed it it does look better

5321384741_09ac7cb079_b by wegotitugetit, on Flickr
Just tried the crop on the original and I don't like how tight the car becomes on the image. It makes the building more the focus of the image which misses the point.

Thanks for the edit and input though.

I'm not convinced the crop works, it's a little too tight at the bottom, I kind of like the lead-in that the paving gives in the original.

Daz, hotspots can be fairly easy to sort out and those look fixable to me, drop me a msg in FB if you want a hand.
Thanks rob, glad I'm not going mad with my compo.

I could Move the camera to the left one more column.

Kris caught me on facebook yesterday and asked for the image and said he's gonna have a little look at how to tweak it for me. It's a weak part of photoshop on my part. I'll give you a shout if I'm still stuck. (y)

I prefer the roadway in view.

The geometry of the blocks blends nicely with that of the buildings and nice to see a contrast in the buildings, but I would like to have seen a shot taken 3ft to the left so that the road blocks take you to the centre of the car.

Nice depth and contrast though.

You have caught some good colorising of the RH windows.

Nice set of wheels. What is it?

First of. The car is a Nissan 200SX S14a. 2.0l Turbo RWD :D

Is this the kind of thing you mean for taking a few steps to the left?

Another shot I took before the one posted originally.
5327648221_1e9bc73e5e_b.jpg

If the mountain won't come to Muhammed ;)

Obvious cloning - not sure how well it works in practice with a 5 minute fix from a 1024px web version but in theory the lead in works well- good call.

Thanks Andrew. I might just do that to the original :)

I think the original shot is fine actually. This may sound silly but if you can change the dark patch of road in the bottom left corner so that it is the same as the rest of the road it may work much better. At the moment it's playing a trick on the eyes making the car look like it's on a dodgy angle which it's not.

edit
obviously you'd spend more time cloning than me, I just did it very fast to show you what I'm trying to explain. I also took a little chunk off the top rather than the road so it's closer to the composition you wanted in the first place. I hope you don't mind...

168287_158274290886354_100001113525001_308493_5531739_n.jpg
Thanks for that. I can easily edit that out and will do it now. :)

I welcome edits of my shots on here. It's often alot easier than explaining with words. Thank you :D.

Last edited:
The 'Other shot' is good and if I hadn't seen the more distant shot would have been happy with it but the shot from further away has a particular punch and the edit done by 'ANDWHYNOT' seems better balanced than before.

Your car I assume. Nice one.

I have a mere G11 GTE 2.0 Nordic Primera.

The 'Other shot' is good and if I hadn't seen the more distant shot would have been happy with it but the shot from further away has a particular punch and the edit done by 'ANDWHYNOT' seems better balanced than before.

Your car I assume. Nice one.

I have a mere G11 GTE 2.0 Nordic Primera.

That's why I went with the wider version as I felt it had more punch. Now i've edited the tighter one the client will get that as well.

I do drive a Nissan 200SX, it's not that one. It's this one :D

4443214740_43451ceaa0.jpg

Altho this is a great shot I can't help but feel the car is too light and colourful for the dark background I know it needs to pop and stand out but at my first look I wondered if the car had be photoshopped into the background

Altho this is a great shot I can't help but feel the car is too light and colourful for the dark background I know it needs to pop and stand out but at my first look I wondered if the car had be photoshopped into the background
It's the best way to lift the car from the surroundings I find. I do get what you mean and I think the only way to show the car hasn't been photoshopped in would be to show the lightspill from the flashes but the lightspill just makes the shots look messy I find.

Thats a nice car!

Thanks.

It's the best way to lift the car from the surroundings I find. I do get what you mean and I think the only way to show the car hasn't been photoshopped in would be to show the lightspill from the flashes but the lightspill just makes the shots look messy I find.

What about a high powered flash from high above and beyond the car - would cast a shadow of the car onto the ground this side. Then take yourself and the flash out of the shot with a separate BG layer.

What about a high powered flash from high above and beyond the car - would cast a shadow of the car onto the ground this side. Then take yourself and the flash out of the shot with a separate BG layer.

That could work nicely, I'm wondering if I'd need to colour balance the flash first to match the surrounding lights.

Lovely S14a on rota's mate...grids are they?

I personally love the shot! Look forward to the rest :)

Oh don't get me wrong it does lift the car beautifully just in my opinion maybe a little too much, at the end of the day it's still a great photograph :)

I think that the road looks great, tbh I would get rid of the car :)
The structure of the building is great and compliments the road structure perfectly.
Unfortunately I am not a car person, but like the first comment about the cameras watchin it more. However you would need to PS or crop the right camera out as that is looking the other way completely.

Lovely S14a on rota's mate...grids are they?

I personally love the shot! Look forward to the rest :)
Thanks Luke. They are Rota GTR's on mine.

Won't be long til I post the rest up. I keep reviewing them.
Oh don't get me wrong it does lift the car beautifully just in my opinion maybe a little too much, at the end of the day it's still a great photograph :)
It's a good point you've raised though which Andrew has helped with now so I'm glad you brought it up.

I think that the road looks great, tbh I would get rid of the car :)
The structure of the building is great and compliments the road structure perfectly.
Unfortunately I am not a car person, but like the first comment about the cameras watchin it more. However you would need to PS or crop the right camera out as that is looking the other way completely.
I work in architecture as my main profession and can assure you the building is ugly lol.

I've sorted the camera out already now. :)

Back