Snow Leopard is Here - Coming Friday 28th August

Just dawned on me. The ROES print ordering software from Loxley won't open and I've just realised that it's the first time I've tried it since installing snow leopard. Could the upgrade have had an effect on it?

It could, but SL should have put it in an incompatible applications folder.

Find the app in the Applications folder and drag it to the trash, simples.

If the thing on the desktop is the app and not an alias to it or anything like that then yep just delete that.

I've picked up my copy today while out and about, will it install over all the other programs and leave them alone, or do I need to mess about setting up mail accounts and wifi access etc again?

I've picked up my copy today while out and about, will it install over all the other programs and leave them alone, or do I need to mess about setting up mail accounts and wifi access etc again?

Just click install and you should be up and running again in around 30 mins, wifi/mail etc should stay the same.

It's like the cleaner came into your house.
Everything there, and still works, but it's all a bit neater :D

I thought Expose' was supposed to be on the dock now, I still have to root round for it.....can someone remind me how to add something to the doc?

Exposé has been revamped so it's less hectic when you activate it. Dock Exposé is new, say you have multiple Safari windows open, click and hold the Safari icon in the Dock to activate, it'll show you just the Safari windows.

I found that John......for £25 I wanted automation :D

I have Lightroom, CS4 and Firefox open and clicking Expose' just shows the firefox window in the same way my F3 key works, am I missing some new feature?

I think you may have misunderstood something. Or I have.

This new operating system takes is smaller and takes up less space on your hard drive. Thereby releasing approx 9GB or whatever.

Hard drive manufacturers quote unformatted drive capacity. Once formatted, the 'real world' drive capacity will be a little less. It sounds like your drive is 320 GB unformatted (as the manufacturer would describe it) but 298 GB formatted - which sounds about right.

I understand that it takes up less space,but if you read the article in the link it explains it much better than I can.
The reason the hard disk drops in size isn't anything to do with formatting. What you're seeing is a battle between marketing and technology. Marketing calls a kilobyte 1000 bytes, while technically it's 1024 bytes. Multiply this disparity up to 320GB, and 298GB is what you get,but snow leopard has changed the way it measures hard drive capacity from the previous version.
So yes snow leopard is a smaller footprint and you do gain hard drive space, but some of it is due to the way it has changed in the measuring of disk capacity.

Haven't gone through the whole thread but I thought I'd just a quick heads up on a minor issue; if you're using iLife '08 and upgrade to SL, you can no longer click on movies within iPhoto and have them open up in a seperate Quicktime window.

You can drag the thumbnail onto the new Quicktime X icon in the dock and they'll open, or alternatively [found this on the Apple forums] you can install Quicktime 7 from the optional instals on the SL disc.

This doesn't remove Quicktime X, so it can still be used, but puts Quicktime 7 in the utilities folder. Double clicking the movie thumbnail now works as before.

This isn't an issue for those who are using iLife '09.

I found that John......for £25 I wanted automation :D

I have Lightroom, CS4 and Firefox open and clicking Expose' just shows the firefox window in the same way my F3 key works, am I missing some new feature?

If you're like me then you have them in different spaces. It only shows you what's going on in that space.
You can activate Spaces then Exposé to get an overview of everything.

I thought Expose' was supposed to be on the dock now, I still have to root round for it.....can someone remind me how to add something to the doc?

Click an icon on the dock and hold it down....

I still dont use expose nearly as much as I should. Is it just for swapping windows about without the dragging?

Click an icon on the dock and hold it down....

And don't forget if you blue border any exposed window you can then click and hold the space bar to magnify the selected window without opening it - dead handy if you have similar windows open in an app and are not sure where you want to go next... :D

Marcel said:
I still dont use expose nearly as much as I should. Is it just for swapping windows about without the dragging?

Basically it is for selecting and moving to a different window to work in either in the same app or Space you are already in or, by revealing your spaces and then exposing them you can move to any old window of your choosing or just check what's what and move them, or drag them between spaces... :shrug:

Clear as mud the way I tell it I expect, but hth... ;)

:p

Installed it no probs, but glims and istat don't seem to be working:crying: The 2 apps I love
Update. There is a new version of istat menus out which has fixed it so it now works with sl

I shan't be bothering with SL, at least until Parallels is compatible.

For those who have it, does it install like a Leopard update, or do you have to fresh install wiping the drive?

I shan't be bothering with SL, at least until Parallels is compatible.

For those who have it, does it install like a Leopard update, or do you have to fresh install wiping the drive?

its an update, or a fresh install, your choice.

Your the second person today who has mentioned parallels........ my parallels 4.0 is working fine.

Installing it now, I could not see the option for fresh install, so just went with the upgrade.

I still want to fresh install it. Do I have to go into 'Disk utility' and format? I expected the CD to give me a choice

Parallels Desktop works fine. I think some people are misreading my earlier posts.

The only problem was that it wouldn't run under 64-bit - but it would under 32-bit operation. But even that restriction has now been fixed with the latest update from Parallels.

Anyone noticed any instability with CS4?

I've had CS4 quit 3 times today, never had it do that before snowy went on

Isn't that only the Kernel though? If you look in activity monitor you will see that most apps are running in 64bit mode.

So far, I have found Snow Leopard to be a bit of a non-event. Nothing stopped working (apart from my scanner that needed Rosetta and now going fine again) - I have not had a 'Wow, thats really nice' moment. It probably runs some stuff quicker and I think it shuts down a bit quicker - but my white macbook possibly takes a bit longer to boot, but nothing major. No such issue on the iMac.

I can see Expose / Dock Expose and some new screen backgrounds. What has *actually* made the upgrade worth it to you?

Chris

Back