Snow Leopard is Here - Coming Friday 28th August

Just realised KRCS have it in stock for collection tomorrow. Dammn

Nice to see Adobe are cashing in (as usual) on the upgrade http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102153

CS3's a legacy product though, so why test it on a new OS to be able to provide support? Pointless yet costly exercise for all that testing.

I'd expect them to do the same on Windows 7 too.

I'd expect the same from all software vendors to only test their current versions on the currently released OS's, and not regressively test old products.

CS3's a legacy product though, so why test it on a new OS to be able to provide support? Pointless yet costly exercise for all that testing.

I'd expect them to do the same on Windows 7 too.

I'd expect the same from all software vendors to only test their current versions on the currently released OS's, and not regressively test old products.

CS3 works fine on windows 7 ;)

Works vs Supported. Two whole different worlds, I'd have thought you being an IT professional would be well aware of that. :thinking:

:bang: im well aware thank you. was only saying it worked for petes sake.

you are correct anyway (which i wasnt doubting), taken from the Adobe forums (the only source of information on the topic that the Adobe site throws up):

Adobe Employee said:
CS3 did install and run under Vista 64-bit although it wasn't officially supported. Given the age of CS3, it will unlikely be tested either for install or operation under Windows 7, much less officially supported.

Bottom line is that you are effectively totally on your own with this combination.

Whats the main reason for me going to apple and buying snow leopard for my mac?

64bit is the big reason so far as I can see. That means much more memory is addressable and 64bit applications will be fast.

So does the version you can downlod off the 'net for free.

Neither are legally licensed though...

I've not read the licence yet. Have you?

I've not read the licence yet. Have you?

And why would I need to read the EULA? I can tell the difference between the Upgrade from Leopard and Upgrade from Tiger, two different things that Apple sell two different things for.

The license you can purchase for for the Leopard upgrade is just that, a license to upgrade Leopard, and it's £25.00

To upgrade Tiger, or any earlier version you need to buy the Mac Box Set for £129.00

From Apple's own press release

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/08/24macosx.html

Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard will be available as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard on August 28 at Apple’s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers, and online pre-orders can be made through Apple’s online store (www.apple.com) starting today. The Snow Leopard single user license will be available for a suggested retail price of $29 (US) and the Snow Leopard Family Pack, a single household, five-user license, will be available for a suggested price of $49 (US). For Tiger® users with an Intel-based Mac®, the Mac Box Set includes Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife® ’09 and iWork® ’09 and will be available for a suggested price of $169 (US) and a Family Pack is available for a suggested price of $229 (US).

Just because it's technically possible to upgrade Tiger from the DVD in the upgrade from Leopard box, doesn't mean it's licensed.

but wouldnt apple put a block in if they didnt want you to do it (i.e. break the licence)?

i havent read the licencing either im just interested..

Practicality would say no.

e.g.
Anyone who wanted to rebuild would need to install Leopard first, then Snow Leopard if the DVD required it, or at the very least it would be querying for the Leopard media first.

Additional overhead for software locks in engineeering and production (leading to additional support overheads)

Additional manufacturing overheads for the DVD mastering of separate DVD's for upgrades vs other routes. Potentially needing to introduce software keys.

What they've got now is a single image solution that's easy to manage maintain and manufacture. No issues with software keys, and a lot of trust in their customers.

If they wanted you to do it, wouldn't they just say so and not produce a license pack for upgrading from Tiger.

I mean, they're a big business with quite a bit of legal and marketing talent, so I'm pretty sure they know what they want you to do.

Just pop into the Apple store tomorrow morning and ask them what the cheapest way to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard is...

Practicality would say no.

e.g.
Anyone who wanted to rebuild would need to install Leopard first, then Snow Leopard if the DVD required it, or at the very least it would be querying for the Leopard media first.

Additional overhead for software locks in engineeering and production (leading to additional support overheads)

Additional manufacturing overheads for the DVD mastering of separate DVD's for upgrades vs other routes. Potentially needing to introduce software keys.

What they've got now is a single image solution that's easy to manage maintain and manufacture. No issues with software keys, and a lot of trust in their customers.

If they wanted you to do it, wouldn't they just say so and not produce a license pack for upgrading from Tiger.

I mean, they're a big business with quite a bit of legal and marketing talent, so I'm pretty sure they know what they want you to do.

Just pop into the Apple store tomorrow morning and ask them what the cheapest way to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard is...

fair enough, just didnt think it would be too hard to engineer in a code that checks for installed OS version number..

in this day and age it isnt enough to trust peoples word that they wont break the licence agreement to be honest. just saying "okay its possible but you mustn't do it alright..". people will do it even if it only saves them £1.

again not being argumentative just saying.

Neil, I agree people will expend huge amounts of energy to save a few quid.

I work for a large (>$1.6bn revenue pa) software vendor, and controlling licensing is the bane of my life, probably why I get a little sensitive about people circumventing agreements!

Especially when they then get upset about their photo's being stolen...

Anyone who pre-ordered get this today? Hasnt turned up for me with the usual post, assume it's being delivered by RM?

Anyone who pre-ordered get this today? Hasnt turned up for me with the usual post, assume it's being delivered by RM?

Nope, not turned up with the postie today. Shame really - quoting 3-5 days for delivery so guessing Tuesday/Wednesday next week with the bank holiday.

DB

EDIT: Just checked the online order tracking on Apple store - coming from G3 Worldwide Carrier (Netherlands) and estimated delivery is 5-10 days although quoting 2nd September!

DB

Wowsa... courier post very first thing this morning... hardly dressed so well early... :eek:

That's what I call service from Apple... :D

:p

Wowsa... courier post very first thing this morning... hardly dressed so well early... :eek:

That's what I call service from Apple... :D

:p

Did you pay for courier or just standard delivery?

DB

I am doing a fresh install, as in wiping the HDD. Will it install from scratch? I though it was more of an 'upgrade' thats why you cannot do the upgrade straight from Tiger.

Snow Leopard install options are as below (taken from another forum).

To upgrade:
DVD in and run. Select your drive and an upgrade gets performed. This is pretty much the default.
Tested, working.

To clean install over Leopard
You can't quite do this by default, but it's not too tricky. DVD in and run. Then press "Utilities" in the installer and "restart". When you reboot, as soon as you are able, go to the "Utilities" menu and select "Disk Utility". Format the partition you want to install on as "Mac Extended (Journaled)". When done, quit the Disk Utility and continue with the install onto your clean partition.

I have tested this and it works fine.

If you wish, you can then restore data from a Time Machine backup.

Have not tried this step.

To clean install side by with Leopard
Do as a clean install but in the Disk Utility, instead of formatting your drive, opt to "partition" it and add (look for the little + at the bottom of the partition map) a new partition. Then install to this new partition.

I have not tried this way yet, but will when home. It worked for me from Tiger to Leopard very, very well. I have already backed up Music, Photos and Documents to an external drive (as well as Time Machine) so I could delete them, get disk space down to a minimum, add a large partition on the main drive and then in a week or two when everything is OK, delete the old partition and re-claim the drive space.

Hope this helps a few people. As ever, cannot stress enough: BACKUP EVERYTHING PRECIOUS FIRST!

I got mine this afternoon at 4pm at Apple Store Meadhowhall. I was going order online but knew it wont be here by the weekend so I though I go instore. I had faith that stores will have load in stock

I'm also glad I decided to get it from the Apple store, even though my plan to drop of some test equipment on the way got me dragged into a 3 hour meeting over my lunch break.

It's installed and running now, dead easy to install, put the disk in, clicked OK, went to the gym!

Picked up mine this morning from the Cambridge store. With EPP the price for the family pack (5 licenses) was a tad over £32, so a bargain.

Installed onto my white macbook (an upgrade install) took around 45 minutes - heartened that nothing went wrong - shoved the disk into my iMac and that took around 35 minutes to upgrade. SO FAR, I have found no issues with any of my apps. Tat said, I have seen very little evidence of improvements either! Will keep looking!

Chris

Mine arrived this morning, installed and working - though I haven't linked it up with Exchange yet.

Phoned my Mum earlier, as Dad has bought a family pack.

"Has Dad had a parcel in the post?"

"yes"

Cool, so I headed over there and there's a massive parcel. Turns out that Dads parcel has been there a few days and it's not from Apple.
DOH! Wasted journey :bang:

Yep, and expect it to be done in under 45 mins.
Some stuff has been rewritten to be the same but just work better, all Apple software should run faster and you will see a couple of interface tweaks.

Back