Snow on the Storr....

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
We had a trip up to the Isle of Skye a couple of months ago, with a stop in Glencoe on the way - Luckily, we managed to have snow at both destinations.

My other half was dreadfully ill and we nearly didn't make it!! We left Sunderland and arrived on the Isle of Skye.. in the rain around 3:30. Despite the rain, we headed directly for Niest point, hoping.... hoping the rain would clear for sunrise; it didn't, it just got worse lol!!

On a second day, we decided to head up to the Old man of Storr for sunrise, so it meant an early start; did I mention my other half was ill?! We managed to get out early, but she really struggled with the hike up to the Storr and only made it half way up, before throwing in the towel. I suggested we head back down, but she insisted I carry on up and she would have half an hour where she was if I left her with the 2nd body, 24-70 and 50mm - I wasn't going to argue!

I carried on up, eventually coming to the snow level, which just got deeper and deeper! I got to my first point after about an 1hr and half climb, up through very steep inclines and knee deep snow carrying around 50lbs on my back (incl tripod).

This particular spot was quite difficult to get to - steep, lots of snow and gravel, loose rock underneath the snow which meant I couldn't get a footing (and like a fool, my crampons where in the car). I did consider finding somewhere else, but I'm not that sort of guy... I pushed on and got to my spot... and what a spot!

Unfortunately by the time I made it up here, the sun had risen quite high, so I had to wait around for passing cloud to help shade some of the strong sunlight - I was shooting directly into the sun! I tell you something, nothing beats this kind of thing, just me, a flask of coffee and the camera; not a sound in the word... utter bliss!!

I managed to capture this, with the cloud and sun directly under the Storr, with the suns rays protruding out of the cloud either side of it.

D800e, 14-24, Lee SW150 filter system, using a 0.9 soft grad.

imagegen.ashx

Hats off to you (and to your other half for even attempting it when ill.. ). I've done that climb and its steep in good weather. Your persistence really paid of as well. Great shot.. contrast and the distant sun rays really make it. Lovely.

Respect for your efforts, and you got the shot. Lovely contrast expertly handled. The mere mention of the word "climb" has me running a mile. Hope your partner recovered swiftly, and you printed this one out for the memory. :clap:

Hats off to you (and to your other half for even attempting it when ill.. ). I've done that climb and its steep in good weather. Your persistence really paid of as well. Great shot.. contrast and the distant sun rays really make it. Lovely.
Aye, Andrea isn't one for getting ill and when she is, she doesn't really make much of it... She just gets on with it.

I felt so sorry for her during the 7 or so hour drive up to Skye, she could hardly talk (insert man humour here), but throughout the 3days she soldiered on, even on the bad weather days.

Thank you for the comment; we were supposed to be going back last weekend for 4days, but I'd had the D800 into nikon for repair and they didn't get it back to me in time, so had to cancel the trip.

Last edited:
Respect for your efforts, and you got the shot. Lovely contrast expertly handled. The mere mention of the word "climb" has me running a mile. Hope your partner recovered swiftly, and you printed this one out for the memory. :clap:
Lol, we both like to climb... In fact we got engaged on fleetwith pike, New Years eye just gone... Pitch black and a snow storm ;)

I don't actually have this as a print yet; just not got round to it lol

Top class wall picture. Print it up and put it up. Excellent.
Thank you :)

It will be when I can afford a 36" Hahnemuhule museum etching print ;)

Well done for both the picture and the trip up to get it. I know what you mean about it being a difficult spot to get too. When I was up in April, it was difficult enough to go up the side of the hill with all the loose gravel, never mind adding snow too.

Back