SNOW TRAVEL DISRUPTION

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Pre warning for anyone in the snow effected areas..

South West Trains are running limited services. See their site for details.

A31 blocked at ringwood.

A35 lyndhurst at swan pub completely impassable.

M3 to m27 link westbound, car stuck in middle lane.

/Public Service Announcement

Last edited:
Don't use the train but I'll probably just have a lay-in :D

I'm SO looking forward to the potential drive home from the office tomorrow....NOT. Fingers crossed the weather brigade are hedging thier bets and it won't be as bad as the harbingers of doom at the Met office and BBC would have us believe. (Where's my fingers crossed smilie)

For once, the sun is due out tomorrow with none of them white flakey thingies:cool:

tues night, i walked 7.4 miles and then found a bus for the other 4.5 miles. As I had my sensible head on, I "borrowed" a hi-vis jacket for walking along the A140 at night.... Only when I got home did I spot that on the back in 3" high very reflective letters on a red background... "FIRE WARDEN"

It's certainly disrupting my travel - ironically I need to move my new car next door (about a mile away up a hill) to get it out of the weather (leaky soft top). I won't be able to do it now because of snow so it's going to be turning into a mushroom farm again!

Annoyed if it gets really bad....

Fine driving back from Manchester today - the lightest of flurries, that's all - but got to drive up to Hull tomorrow then to Leeds-Bradford airport at 5am on Saturday to get a flight to Grenoble.

The irony of missing a flight to go snowboarding because of excessive UK snow will not be funny.

To be fair on SWT they normally get weather related issues spectacularly wrong but (touch wood, I'm still travelling) they seem to have nailed it this morning.

Basically they are running shorter shuttles between London-Basingstoke, Basingstoke-Southampton, Southampton-Bournemouth, Bournemouth-Weymouth. Seems to be a good idea..

Major havoc in Bristol this morning, HGV's stranded on the A37 outbound in the city and the usual manic work run through the A37 inbound is non-existent due to stranded vehicles ... end of our road is blocked by a large van. Don't know where the gritting/snow clearance vehicles are, if they can't keep the A37 clear in the city I doubt much else will be clear!

Local news just confirmed no airport traffic from Bristol International and no city buses.

Last edited:
No snow in Kent this morning, and the roads (esp M20 / M26) are eerily quiet. I suppose people are maybe deciding to just stay at home today :thinking:

No snow in Kent this morning, and the roads (esp M20 / M26) are eerily quiet. I suppose people are maybe deciding to just stay at home today :thinking:

Ruth if you are in Sittingbourne today, and if it is convenient, could you please give a quick "heads up" if the white stuff starts falling.

Cheers.

The missus works there, and she has to drive back to Medway using the back roads around Tunstall:eek:

Think I'm in,or at least near the 'red zone'....about 4/5 inches of snow upto now but I haven't seen any signs of the high winds and drifting here,well not yet at least

M4 eastbound between Bristol and Bath closed due to jackknifed lorry

Scratch that.....Snowing now :(

Major havoc in Bristol this morning, HGV's stranded on the A37 outbound in the city and the usual manic work run through the A37 inbound is non-existent due to stranded vehicles ... end of our road is blocked by a large van. Don't know where the gritting/snow clearance vehicles are, if they can't keep the A37 clear in the city I doubt much else will be clear!

A4018 in from the Old Crow roundabout was stationary earlier, I pushed a lot of cars up it before my turn and there was a chap in a HGV that had pulled up at the side digging out a path through the snow on the worst bit.

Westbury hill approaching the Post Office tavern was chaos as well, my (4wd Audi A6) really struggled for grip where it had been polished up by previous people. Am convinced the traction control made it worse as well.

Absolutely no evidence of gritting on any route, and the temperature is only about 0C to -1C.

Bradford is fine, maybe a couple of inches but the roads are clear.

But my family in Scarborough are finding it less easy - main roads are fine but the animals need to be fed and the farm isn't on the main road...
Yesterday was "4x4 only", then it went to "Landrover only" and now it's "Defender or Series only" :)

Soon, it will be "tractor only". A couple of years ago, there were days when even the tractor couldn't make it.

Last edited:
Took me 4 hours to do my normal 30 minute drive home on Tuesday. Since then roads here in Norfolk all pretty treacherous, but not been too bad if you drive slowly/carefully.

BBC website is fantastic for showing up to date info on road and public transport delays. http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/
Works well on mobile phones too.

There was 2 feet of snow in Manchester overnight..................

BA4d4OjCEAEOsoS.jpg

4 hours to get from New Milton to Poole by car, not the best journey normally only takes an hour.

Last edited:
ouch. i used to do that trip every day.. was pretty painful in places as it is :LOL:

It can be a pain at the best of times, 40 minutes just to get round the frezzel roundabout at the end of the a338, oh well least I was being paid to sit in the traffic.

Tom, is that 2' photo yours? If so, please may I borrow it to send to my wife along with the joke?

Back