Snowboarding

Name
Bradley Smith
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off boarding soon. I have a kit 17-55 on my Alpha which will be fine for general stuff and will just have to do for landscapes. But, how will it fare for action shots of my mates tearing down the mountain?

Cheers for any advice you may have (on lenses and anything else for cold weather photography!).

not amazing but im sure you could make it work if its all you have, just be carefull on sunny days the snow will reflect every little bit of light

[S1]Agree[/S1]

Personally I'd dial-in in at least -0.3 of exposure (naturally shoot in RAW) and pre-focus on the spot they are going to pass through. If you want to do some funky stuff then if you've got a mega dark ND filter then you can use a little tripod and then blur the action.

I'm also off boarding shortly, but won't be taking the D300. I enjoy boarding to much to take pics! (Will take the Hi-res headcam though!) :geek:

:agree: Also try spot metering on the person in shot rather than letting the camera try to expose for the whole frame as the snow will fool your cameras little brain :D

What level are you and your mates? If you ride park and pipe then they are great places to shoot for obvious reasons and have the added benefit of being contained so you won't **** everyone off by getting them to stop every five minutes while you unstrap, get your kit out, take your gloves off etc when everyone else just wants to keep riding. You can just stash your board and move around on foot while your mates keep coming past you.

Have fun.

Personally I'd dial-in in at least -0.3 of exposure

I think you mean +0.3... The camera will naturally underexpose due to the reflections off the snow so you compensate by overexposing.

Thanks peeps.

I haven't been boarding in 10 years lol! We're not doing pipes and stuff. I'm just keen to document our trip as best I can while I'm there. No idea when I'll get to do this again and I'd like to come away with as many good photos as I possibly can!

In that case you should be fine with the kit lens then. On the hill I tend to use either a fast 50mm prime or 70-200 zoom, but if you are just cruising around the pistes the kit lens will be fine.

I was tempted to grab that 24 - 105mm Sony that jessops have for < £200 at the moment. Will it be much better than the kit lens in trms of sharpness or am I mostly paying for build quality?

Take some pans with you.

No need for pans, we're going half board and don't intend doing any of our own cooking.

Back