Snowdon Views with Velvia

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while posting as been upgrading my PC, plus weather for once has been great so spent most spare time out and about.

Now way behind on scanning but here are a couple from when I went to Snowdonia National Park, with the views from the Snowdon summit. Taken on my Olympus 24mm F2 lens on Fuji Velvia 50.

C&C welcome

20110426015_Image_ME_Lcolb-copy.jpg

20110426028_Image_ME-copy.jpg

20110426036_Image_ME-copy.jpg

Well - overall, I like the location and the fact that you've managed to avoid the milling throngs of people that have been crawling all over the place like ants every time I've been on the top when the weather's been half decent. Suppose thats what you get when the mountain has a cafe on top and a railway up to it :shrug:

1) - bit of a strange look going on with the sky... were you using a polarising filter? I know that polarisers cause a similar effect with wide angle lenses, purely becuaseof the field of view the WA lens covers. Also, the shot is just a tad cold looking - even for velvia it's a little blue. I like the composition, and it still does the trick for me - it makes me want to strap on my boots and get out there walking!

2) Same comments about colour balance, coomposition's nice, though I quite liked a 6x7 portrait crop, losing some of the expanse of rock at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, the rocks provide great foreground interest, though with the full frame, it's just a wee bit overpowering for me.

3) Pity you couldn't have hung on for a while, until the main ridge was clear of cloud-shadows - though I know it's often a problem if you're out for the days walking, the pressures of getting back to the car before the car-park is bolted, or getting to the pub before they stop serving food, or simply, not annoying your walking mates!

Still - as I said above, it's a set that makes me want to pull my boots on and get out on the hill, so (y)

A bit nitpicking here but here goes:

1) Nice, I like it.
2) Composition doesn't work so well for me and it looks a bit underexposed.
3) Contrary to Mark's critique, I really like having cloud shadows on hills for the more "dynamic" looking lighting you get. The rocky bit in the bottom-right corner is a bit off-putting but I understand the limitations of shooting like you were.

Additional comment: I typically find Fuji slide films when shot outdoors on nice days NEED at the very least a skylight filter on the lens. Your shots are a bit blue for me I'm afraid.

Thanks for the comments.

I was using a polariser, so that may be the cause in #1. Have to say didnt notice that until pointed out.

There were lots of people about & I cheated on the way up by using the railway!

3) was more time of day for the shadow on the rocks to the right with the angle of the sun. I couldnt move further forward to crop out as it was a sheer drop. Maybe in hindsight I should have used a my zoom lens. An excuse to go back some time :D

Peter, you can tell they were shot on Velvia! The landscape is also wonderful. Looking at your shots and some old ones of mine, it makes me sad I sold my OM system stuff to fund the contax, the quality of the lenses is just superb!

A note about polarisers - the cheaper ones tend to colour cast blue/green

strange effect from fuji's winning 41 film
were they like that right off the scanner?
defo some cast there..try pulling down on the pink slider

3 very nice images and the conversion works as well. I do agree about the 2nd, a little too much foreground for my taste but still very good.

Andy

Thanks Mark

Like how you cropped it. Still learning with landscape photography so will try to remember this next time.

Out of interest what did you change on the colour / post production apart from the cropping?

Thanks Mark

Like how you cropped it. Still learning with landscape photography so will try to remember this next time.

Out of interest what did you change on the colour / post production apart from the cropping?

Glad you liked it, it's always a bit hairy editing someone else's shots...

PP was fairly minimal - Lightroom 3.3 - simple tweak in develop module. (Temp +15,Tint -13, Clarity +36, Vibrance +10 if anyone's interested :shrug:)

Stunning, i love them both to be honest 2 & 3, lovely colours

Thanks. Glad you like them

PP was fairly minimal - Lightroom 3.3 - simple tweak in develop module. (Temp +15,Tint -13, Clarity +36, Vibrance +10 if anyone's interested :shrug:)

I have Photoshop CS5 & know how to change vibrance. Anyone know how to change temp/tint & clarity in PS5? :thinking:

Try opening the files in Adobe Camera Raw - I believe that's equivalent to Lightrooms develop mode.

Yep that's the way - in cs5 it's File/Open As/ and at the file selection dialogue, change the "Open As" pulldown list to "Camera Raw".

Had a little play with #2...

20110426028_Image_ME-copy-1.jpg

Mark, I love what you have done with this photograph, the dynamics are just great, the thing is do you not think that the foreground is just a tadge over sharpened?
What so you my friend.(y)

Mark, I love what you have done with this photograph, the dynamics are just great, the thing is do you not think that the foreground is just a tadge over sharpened?
What so you my friend.(y)

Probably a little,yes - I think my "export small picture to disk" has a degree of sharpening set by default, and if the original had been sharpened already, it'd overdo things.

Mind, they are sharp rocks up there :naughty:

Back