Snowdon

Nice, but I think the centre of the depth of field is centered too much on the foreground, or was to shallow. Did you manually focus? The backgrounds just a little out of focus to say a great shot.

Welcome to the forums.

The first one is nice and sharp. I often overdo the foreground interest and I think you have here. Not sure portrait is best for this - it feels like one shot of a series taken to make a panorama.

Second one has a nice flow through the picture. The water is a bit too long exposure for my taste.

Don't think the last one works as well due to the view through the bridge being obscured and the feeling that the top of the bridge is cut off.

Thanks for your comments guys,

Ziploc, I take your point. And with hindsight, my choice of aperture wasn't the best for the scene. Should have been looking for more like f/16 or smaller. It was also auto-focussed but curiously, in the centre of the frame.

Robert, the choice of portrait format was really down to the lighting and position of the terrain (just out of shot here) allowing it to dominate, where I had really intended for the peak of Snowdon itself to be the subject. I have a similar shot but in landscape format and I felt this was the better of the two. I guess the answer would have been to wait for the lighting to change before making the exposure?

I really like he first one - nice composition - can I ask if you used a polarising filter? I'm thinking not because of the reflections clearly seen in the water. I'm looking to buy one of these filters to reduce these reflections. This isn't a criticism, but I think a filter can really help.

I really like the last one. The colours look fantastic, and the way that you have captured the sunlight on the rocks really adds to the picture.

Thanks for your comments...:)

Rishy, no polariser was used for any of these, although I agree the effect on the water would suggest it... it's a new lens that I was trying out and I think I was just lucky in that the water was particularly clear and the angle of shooting didn't catch any reflections!

Back