Snowdonia (editing help needed)

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken last weekend in Snowdonia. Howling wind, very dark, overcast sky and very, very cold. I'd like to keep the image as I quite like it as a souvenir of the day but I think I made a hash of taking the photo. I guess the conditions meant its not as sharp as it could be but the colours, specifically the snow, are wrong to me and I'm hoping someone can advise how to rescue it, (if it can be done.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

3005308981_94bc0f77d9_o.jpg

well it all depends what you want from this shot, TBH it looks good as it is, you could always tweek the levels a little but that thats about it, well done on a great shot

just tweeked the levels, please let me know if this is what you where talking about
altered.jpg

Thanks. Glad you liked the shot. The thing that was bothering me was the colour of the snow. I tried using the white 'dropper' thing (?) on the levels tool to set the snow as white and it messed everything else up. :shake:

It's a good excuse to revisit after the next snowfall though and have another go at the shot. :)

Taken last weekend in Snowdonia. Howling wind, very dark, overcast sky and very, very cold. I'd like to keep the image as I quite like it as a souvenir of the day but I think I made a hash of taking the photo. I guess the conditions meant its not as sharp as it could be but the colours, specifically the snow, are wrong to me and I'm hoping someone can advise how to rescue it, (if it can be done.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi...here's my try at it. I isolated the snow and whitened it. (It was very blue.) Hope you like this better.

Snowdonia.jpg

Here's my levels edit for you:

MisterRigsby_re-edit.jpg

I did this by first using the threshold function in PS - this enables you to choose the brightest and darkest points on the image. Then I used the levels tool and used the droppers to select these points. Then it's just a case of checking your numbers for RGB in your histogram and if they're all the same number, then you image is correctly colour balanced.

Of course, from here you can adjust the contrast and/or saturation to give the image a bit of boost, but I just did a levels balance on this one.

Last edited:
Hi Jason I had a go. levels, colour boost, whitened the snow a little, What do you think any better ?

DSC_00141.jpg

Original Photo By MisterRigsby

Dave

I quite like this image and don't think you need to do much with it to be honest but if I were pushed I would make small adjustments like below.

If you like it I will go through what I did

3005308981_94bc0f77d9_o_edit.jpg

Hi,

I don't think it needs anything major either, do too much & it will look completely unnatural - the greens are always a bit of a give-away.

Out of interest did you take this the friday of last weekend as I was stood about 400ft above the other end of the Llyn taking a shot, which included a guy in the distance with his tripod setup, looked to be pretty much where you shot this from ?

cheers

Simon

Thanks for all your input guys, very much appreciated and some good help and advice. (y)

Hi,

I don't think it needs anything major either, do too much & it will look completely unnatural - the greens are always a bit of a give-away.

Out of interest did you take this the friday of last weekend as I was stood about 400ft above the other end of the Llyn taking a shot, which included a guy in the distance with his tripod setup, looked to be pretty much where you shot this from ?

cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

it was last Saturday, fairly late in the afternoon. We had planned to take the train to the summit, (or as far as the train was going on that day), but I, very stupidly didn't prebook the tickets. :bonk: Of course, every seat was sold by the time we got to the ticket office. I think this week was the last week before the train shutdown for the winter?

We walked a little way along the Miner's Path (IIRC it's name) to the lake in the photo then had to turn back as it was getting dark. I loved the place and will be heading back there after the next decent snowfall to hopefully follow the path alot further.

Thanks for all your input guys, very much appreciated and some good help and advice. (y)

Hi Simon,

it was last Saturday, fairly late in the afternoon. We had planned to take the train to the summit, (or as far as the train was going on that day), but I, very stupidly didn't prebook the tickets. :bonk: Of course, every seat was sold by the time we got to the ticket office. I think this week was the last week before the train shutdown for the winter?

We walked a little way along the Miner's Path (IIRC it's name) to the lake in the photo then had to turn back as it was getting dark. I loved the place and will be heading back there after the next decent snowfall to hopefully follow the path alot further.

Bad luck with the train, although maybe good luck..the next time you get chance hopefully the new summit building will be complete

simon

Back