Snowdonia winter wild camp

Name
Alex Nail
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I went camping on Snowdon just over a week ago with a friend. These are the images I shot. We were only there a couple of days and we had about 20 minutes of sunlight. Fortunately for us those moments of light were just at the right time!

1. Taken just as we emerged from the freezing fog we walked up in.
snowdon2_zps1b71d884.jpg

2. There was an unexpected burst of sunlight which I did my best to form a composition with.
snowdon3_zps93ead8ca.jpg

3. Photographing the same pool after sunset
snowdon4_zpsc264df02.jpg

4. After camping out at 800m we had a short hike to the summit and then in my case down to the top of the miners path. The sunrise didnt disappoint, I just wish the sunstar wasn't so big!
snowdon1_zpsee51dead.jpg

Feedback and critique welcome.

Alex

www.alexnail.com
Facebook

Awesome set Alex, had a look at your Gallery - very jealous :) lovely work. Is the panoramic one stitched portrait shots (I think you did the Pen y Fan from last year the same way?)?

Very inspiring set!
How cold was it up there - long wait for the sunrise if you camped at the top from sunset to sunrise!

Awesome set Alex, had a look at your Gallery - very jealous :) lovely work. Is the panoramic one stitched portrait shots (I think you did the Pen y Fan from last year the same way?)?

Very inspiring set!
How cold was it up there - long wait for the sunrise if you camped at the top from sunset to sunrise!

Thanks. Yes it's 6 portrait shots. I have to say that I use that format increasingly regularly the ultrawide view really helps to capture expansive landscapes I find.

It was cold enough overnight to freeze the water inside the tent. Usually there's about a 5-10 degree temperature difference between inside and out so somewhere around -7 at a guess. We allowed 3 hours in the morning to pack up the tent, make the hike up to the summit and hunt around for compositions so we actually got up at 5am. That said with sunset just after 4 we did need something to do. I actually brought my ipad with me which we hung from the roof of the tent. We were lying down in warm sleeping bags eating Christmas pudding and custard whilst watching 'Saturday Night Lights' it was great!

alexnail said:
Thanks. Yes it's 6 portrait shots. I have to say that I use that format increasingly regularly the ultrawide view really helps to capture expansive landscapes I find.

It was cold enough overnight to freeze the water inside the tent. Usually there's about a 5-10 degree temperature difference between inside and out so somewhere around -7 at a guess. We allowed 3 hours in the morning to pack up the tent, make the hike up to the summit and hunt around for compositions so we actually got up at 5am. That said with sunset just after 4 we did need something to do. I actually brought my ipad with me which we hung from the roof of the tent. We were lying down in warm sleeping bags eating Christmas pudding and custard whilst watching 'Saturday Night Lights' it was great!

What tent do you use, and do you find it an issue finding a rucksack which will accomodate both your camping gear and photography gear? I did climb up Pen ynFan for some sunrise shots (inspired by your photos from last year) the weekend previously, happy with the resuly, but not close to the clarity of your effort!

The tent I use for mountain camping is always a Terra Nova Ultra Quasar, it's rock solid in the wind. Here's a shot of our camping spot:
tent.jpg

I have an Osprey Aether 70, its pretty cavernous. I didnt find it an issue finding a pack for my gear, no, you just need a large pack and small gear :p I've used the same pack in Iceland with 8 days of food in it...
I think I was quite fortunate with the conditions for that image of Pen Y Fan last year!

Thats a great set

The tent I use for mountain camping is always a Terra Nova Ultra Quasar, it's rock solid in the wind. Here's a shot of our camping spot:

I have an Osprey Aether 70, its pretty cavernous. I didnt find it an issue finding a pack for my gear, no, you just need a large pack and small gear :p I've used the same pack in Iceland with 8 days of food in it...
I think I was quite fortunate with the conditions for that image of Pen Y Fan last year!

I have been looking at the Terra Nova Superlite Voyager, but been using purpose made photography bags which have limited space for clothing and food. So you just have your SLR, wide angle (any other lenses) and your tripod?

Absolutely fantastic set but OMG #2 and #4 are breathtaking.

What superb light, these are absolutely gorgeous images.

What stunning shots, I'd love to go camping up in the mountains! I like the sunburst on the last one too! Looks really good against the cold harsh mountains

just one word WOW!, i think it would be worth camoing out to get such stunning light

fantastic set of pics.

Superb photos, well worth the effort when you get such outstanding results! I read your article in the Outdoor Photography mag - nice job (y)

lovely photography, they are all nice images but the first shot is absolutely gorgeous. long johns required I reckon.

Hi Alex,

Good to see you on here mate! :) Ive already commented on photo 2 else where, but photo 3 is the once for me...nice lead in line from right to left with the water then the mountain ridge takes us up back through to the right hand side of the frame. I say it was a good trip all round!

Simon

Did you climb up via Y Grib Goch? or climbed the PYG track, and then over Garnedd Ugain down to the little plateau between it and Y Grib Goch?

Lovely location, I should imagine that its quite exposed :eek:

Awesome ! Love them, being from this part of the world great to see it captured so well & kudos for camping this time of year mate ! :D

Baz

I have been looking at the Terra Nova Superlite Voyager, but been using purpose made photography bags which have limited space for clothing and food. So you just have your SLR, wide angle (any other lenses) and your tripod?

Yes the Voyagers are also fantastic, great all rounders, just with a little less space. I might have got one myself if I wasnt too tall for it!

Yes the camera with 16-35 goes straight into the main compartment along with my 70-200. The tripod is strapped to the back. It's a perfectly effective system although Guy Richardson (http://www.guy-richardson.com/) who I went with always brings along a shoulder bag which he puts at the top of the main compartment. Horses for courses really.

Did you climb up via Y Grib Goch? or climbed the PYG track, and then over Garnedd Ugain down to the little plateau between it and Y Grib Goch?

Lovely location, I should imagine that its quite exposed :eek:

We hiked up the Y Lliwedd ridge, camped at Cribau beneath Bwlch y Saethau. We went to the summit for sunrise (arriving there at 7.20, about an hour before) and then I headed down to the top of the Pyg/miners track for my sunrise image. We took the Pyg track home, I have yet to do Crib Goch but I decided that icy conditions and a big pack were too much to try it for the first time.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Alex

These are breathtaking and thank you for sharing them. I see what you mean about the sun star but the rest of the image is so strong it is totally forgiven. I could not do that though, I hate the cold.

Stunning shots, fantastic 'tenting' location: Man, camera and tent in perfect harmony!

I just can't bring myself to camp in sub zero temperatures, even if the reward is special. How just do you stay warm?

Nice set again Alex

Back