Snowscape

A

AnnaBanana

Hi everyone :)

Thanks to your warm welcomes to the group, I'm going to be brave and submit my first image for some critique.

I'm new to photography, having started this time in 2005.

I wanted to convey the tranquility of an early morning after the first snowfall here in Sunderland; this was my first try at photographing snowy scenes, and I was worried I didn't get the exposure right.

This was taken at 9am on December 29th, 2005 - hand-held with a Nikon D50 and Tamron 28-300mm lens. Exif data is as follows:

f/10
1/50 second
ISO 200
+1 EV
220mm focal length

All input is very much appreciated - I'm considering using this as next year's Christmas card; never made one before!

Thank you in advance!

Anna :banana:

81668823_d427544195.jpg

Really lovely! Good exposure. To my mind I may be tempted to crop a lot from the top - maybe to just above the tallest tree. I adore the tones and the "none too dirty" snow.

Good light and a good use of the landscape - I'd have been tempted to move around a little - those branches in the foreground do nothing for the overall image.

I quite like it :)

Have to agree that the foreground doesnt quite fit with the overall shot, its so sharp compared to the softness (in a good way) of the hill.
The colour is nice as it breaks the landscape away from the grey of the sky.

Great shot:thumb:

yup agree, nice shot, but the immediate foreground branches are a bit distracting, moving around or forward might have worked better

What made you zoom in so far? and did you get any at wider settings?

love the light reflecting on the snow, the pinky tones work well with the sky. A lovely scene :)

Funny you say that Marianne, my first thought was "pink snow?"

I'd crop it from the bottom to remove some of the trees which are a getting in the way a bit :)

Back