So help me out here, please...D750 with just 'one' lens.

Yes, I agree it's not always wide enough, but I suppose if I was forced to have one lens it would get more shots over a year than a 16-35 (even though I love my 16-35!).
Yep, true. I guess we're lucky in that we can have more than one lens. I would consider an all in one if they could do an 18-300mm f2 with the IQ of the 70-200 f2.8 VRII and size of the 24-120, but until then I guess I have to settle with changing lenses :LOL:

I've bit the bullet....From Wex, I can hear the sharp intake of breath.
I't's a peace of mind thingy for my wife, I think I would have given Panamoz a go.

Funny thing, I have never really fancied the 24-120, leaning towards the 50 f1.8g or the 24-85.

My other system is M4/3, E-M1, and going from that to the D750 is quite a difference in size and weight.

Ken Rockwell (love or hate him) gives the 24-85 the thumbs up, and says this ....
Don't get this lens for DX; get the 16-85mm VR instead.
For FX digital and 35mm cameras, this Nikon 24-85mm VR is a marvelous, small, light midrange zoom. It's as sharp as the bigger, older, heavier and twice as expensive 24-120mm f/4 VR.
Nikon hasn't introduced any new, intelligently-sized FX zooms since the first 24-85mm AF-S G ten years ago, so it's about time, yippee! Nikon is finally coming around.
This new 24-85mm VR is finally what we need as Nikon's only compact midrange lens with VR for FX digital and 35mm cameras, hallelujah!

This is what DxOMark has to say about it.....
It is quite tempting to sneer at the concept of a kit lens; many of the ones bundled with cheaper cameras are really appalling, degrading the quality of the camera to the point where you are unlikely to get useable results. The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR is not like this, it is a competent lens that will provide results very much in keeping with the camera.
If you are a purist and look constantly for the ultimate image quality then it is not going to match up to the best prime lenses. Neither will it match the very best of the Zoom lenses, but if you want a versatile, light, easy to use lens for everyday use on your Nikon D600 or D800 you could really do a whole lot worse than this.

So it's the 24-85.
The Tammy was just too many £'s.

Last edited:
shocked-lemur-face.png

I bought the 24-120 f4 from classifieds/today!

I've bit the bullet....From Wex, I can hear the sharp intake of breath.
I't's a peace of mind thingy for my wife, I think I would have given Panamoz a go.

Funny thing, I have never really fancied the 24-120, leaning towards the 50 f1.8g or the 24-85.

My other system is M4/3, E-M1, and going from that to the D750 is quite a difference in size and weight.

Ken Rockwell (love or hate him) gives the 24-85 the thumbs up, and says this ....
Don't get this lens for DX; get the 16-85mm VR instead.
For FX digital and 35mm cameras, this Nikon 24-85mm VR is a marvelous, small, light midrange zoom. It's as sharp as the bigger, older, heavier and twice as expensive 24-120mm f/4 VR.
Nikon hasn't introduced any new, intelligently-sized FX zooms since the first 24-85mm AF-S G ten years ago, so it's about time, yippee! Nikon is finally coming around.
This new 24-85mm VR is finally what we need as Nikon's only compact midrange lens with VR for FX digital and 35mm cameras, hallelujah!

This is what DxOMark has to say about it.....
It is quite tempting to sneer at the concept of a kit lens; many of the ones bundled with cheaper cameras are really appalling, degrading the quality of the camera to the point where you are unlikely to get useable results. The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR is not like this, it is a competent lens that will provide results very much in keeping with the camera.
If you are a purist and look constantly for the ultimate image quality then it is not going to match up to the best prime lenses. Neither will it match the very best of the Zoom lenses, but if you want a versatile, light, easy to use lens for everyday use on your Nikon D600 or D800 you could really do a whole lot worse than this.

So it's the 24-85.
The Tammy was just too many £'s.
Good stuff, the D750 is a simply stunning camera. The 24-85mm is a very good lens. The only reason I wold choose the 24-120mm over this if I were in the market for an all in one would be because of my love for subject isolation.

I would take Ken Rockwell with a pinch of salt tbh.

Back