So I bought a Nikon D700, but I have a question!

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Well, I bought myself a Nikon D700. :D:D:D
It's an amazing camera. <3

I bought the MB-D10 battery pack too, and I have two batteries working on the camera now. The one in the BP is 3/5 bars full.

I have the camera set to CH and it shoots only at 4fps? The dial on the BP is set to on and it is showing up on the camera beside the battery symbol, and in the battery info bit.

At the moment I don't have any CF cards (getting one tomorrow) so it is shooting on the "demo" mode.

Why won't it go to 8fps? CL even if set to 5fps or more will still only shoot at 4fps.

Any help much appreciated!

EDIT: Is this battery safe to buy? http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=99194

Last edited:
Could be a few reasons most of which depend on whether the camera is new or used but the most likely explanation I would have thought would be that you can only shoot as fast as the camera's buffer can fill up and then empty to the card, if you have no card in then the camera can't get rid of the images from the buffer and so, shooting speed is reduced.

Could be a few reasons most of which depend on whether the camera is new or used but the most likely explanation I would have thought would be that you can only shoot as fast as the camera's buffer can fill up and then empty to the card, if you have no card in then the camera can't get rid of the images from the buffer and so, shooting speed is reduced.

+1

Thanks Andrew.
I thought this would be the case. I'm buying some more CF cards tomorrow so I will try again then. The camera is brand new, bought today! <3 Amazing piece of kit lol!

I reckon this will sort you out.
When you said the battery was showing 3/5 I thought you might have bought used and there are ways to reduce the FPS rate in CL but if it's new you should be set to full speed as default I think.

The D700 requires the Mb-D10 with either the AA batteries or the EN-EL4A Battery To shoot at 8fps, that's the only way it will work unfortunatley.

Last edited:
Its not just the en-el4a batteries you need but a different battery charger and a different end cap for the Mb-D10 if using the en-el4a . Total cost if purchased as Nikon own brand almost £200. I just buy rechargable AA batteries and an 8 way AA battery charger. Be warned the AA batteries don't last as long as you may think if you set the camera to use the Mb-D10 as first choice for camera power with the EN-el3e in the camera as backup. Also check quite often the AA batteries for charge as they can run down when not used. Using en-el3e in both camera and Mb-D10 don't give you the fastest frame rate.
I mainly use 7 day shop AA batteries with a 2900 mAh rating.

Realspeed

Last edited:
A burst, up to 9 frames at 8fps should be acheivable form a D300 or D700, by using the auto bracketing, with the exposure comp set to 0.

Well the shop didn't tell me this!!!

It's all freely available information. Perhaps reading a bit about what you are about to drop a huge amount of cash on might be a good idea?

Why do you need 8fps?

How to set the menus and, what to press to get 8fps

If you need more than 9 frames, then it's going to be a bit more expence. Also, if you are going to be using loads of raw or raw+JPEG frames at 8fps, consider what write speed can your prospective card take. Once the write buffer is full, the fps will drop to the speed at which files are cleared from the buffer.

From the Manual.......

Power Source and Frame Rate

The maximum frame advance rate varies with the power source used.

Buffer Size
The approximate number of images that can be
stored in the memory buffer at current settings is
shown in the exposure-count displays in the
viewfinder and control panel while the shutterrelease
button is pressed. The illustration at right
shows the display when space remains in the
buffer for about 33 pictures.

Power source
Max. frame advance rate (1)
EN-EL3e battery or MB-D10 battery pack
with EN-EL3e battery 5 fps(2)
MB-D10 battery pack with EN-EL4a battery
or AA-size batteries; AC adapter 8 fps(3)

1 Average frame rate with continuous-servo AF, manual or shutter-priority auto
exposure, a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, other settings at default values, and
memory remaining in memory buffer. If MB-D10 is used with AA batteries,
frame rate slows at low temperatures or when batteries are low.
2 Maximum frame advance rate is 5 fps, even when higher values are selected for
Custom Setting d4 (CL mode shooting speed, pg. 299).
3 Maximum frame rate in CL mode is 7 fps.

Get the EN-EL4a battery from 7dayshop, £15 or so. Get the charger off ebay, about £25 iirc. You'll need a BL-3 too, get one off ebay, they're a tenner brand new for a chinese one (it's a piece of plastic whether you buy chinese or official nikon...) Works great.

Or just use AAs in the supplied holder, will give you 8fps at the times that you need it.

Yar I got a real MB-D10 and bought the Chinese knock off version of the BL-3 for £30 posted off eBay which included the cap, battery and charger. I've used it for the last 3 months with no issues and it holds it's charge perfectly.

is 1 extra frame/sec worth the £90+ for the battery tho ?!!

Maybe not, but the EN-EL4a will do 2000+ shots on a charge; I have one (in my D2x) halfway through it's life and it continuously gives me 2000+ shots, even at this time of year working outdoors. I bought mine used for £45 from MPB, so a bargain really.....

to get the fastest out of what you have...
make sure its on continuous high and the max speed is set in the menus
also you need fully charged batteries and a decent cf card.
you also need the batteries in the mb10 to be used first, again in the menus.
and focus set on continuous with afc in the menus set to release.

i however don't do that better one picture in focus than 20 quick out of focus photos.

Last edited:
Back