So just how small was the Globby Graham? (And others).

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
@Graham

Went to have a look for the globby to try and give you an idea of its size. However - I think this one is quite a bit bigger than the others recently. :)

This is uncropped, hand held, and not as close as I could have got of course, as you would need to see enough of the penny to give you the right scaling.

1080penny03.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
That's small, aww that's awesome thanks for the comparison for size, and if that's a biggun I'd hate to see a baby one.
Thanks Paul

FFS I still can't find one and your taking shots for sizing reference. I officially hate you right now. LMAO

Checked my compost bin lid only humping flies and louse! Checked soil... Do you turn over leaves? Can you see these ones jump like the bigger ones or they to small to see that?

Arggggghhhhhh

FFS I still can't find one and your taking shots for sizing reference. I officially hate you right now. LMAO

Checked my compost bin lid only humping flies and louse! Checked soil... Do you turn over leaves? Can you see these ones jump like the bigger ones or they to small to see that?

Arggggghhhhhh

Oh dear.. The illusive Collembola!

They like to hide under stones and logs - and they don't usually jump unless they detect a threat. They kinda walk around, stopping occasional to eat some leaf mould or insect bodies. I don't usually move anything to find them - mainly because if I were to find an earwig or a centipede I'd probably scream like a child :crying:

Dicyrtomina saundersi
is a species of globular springtail that is native to the British Isles. Like other springtails this species often inhabits leaf litter and is often found under stones and logs. D.saundersi is a detritivore and will feed on decaying plant and animal material. Although it is widespread it is poorly researched and not much is known about its biology. What is a known fact is, that from the beginning of October - they are in my garden, especially on my compost bin lid! ;)

Paul.

Good one Paul, excellent comparison. I agree this one seems a bit more mature than your previous finds (seems to have darker patterning). Looks like he's got a stalker too!

Good one Paul, excellent comparison. I agree this one seems a bit more mature than your previous finds (seems to have darker patterning). Looks like he's got a stalker too!

Cheers Tim - there were quite a few "stalkers" tonight in the vicinity of this one. They would be the orchesellas I reckon.

Paul.

Back