So, Mrs Brown's Boy is the Best Comedy of the Century So Far

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
According to The Radio Times.

Well I am shocked. I found it painful to watch. The ones that made the list that would get my vote are Phoenix Nights and Count Arthur Strong.

I'm shocked that i agree with you on this, i find it painfully unfunny.

watched it once, never again !

Awful, just awful.

I think it is excellent. Never got into Phoenix nights and can't even say I have heard of Count Arthur Strong. We all have our own sense of humor and Mrs Brown is mine.

Reactions: BBR
I like Mrs B's boys, easy to watch, its funny (to me anyway) and is usually full of ad lib as well which adds a wee bit extra for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just come in from the shop, and the missus just finished watching it. She only watches it, while I am out. She loves it, but I absolutely detest it. I am very broad mined / open minded, but I find the programme vulgar and very crass.

I watch it if it's on (but won't go out of my way). It's been the funniest thing I've seen for a while but after a bit, the crassness wears thin.

what a boring load of old farts on here ,i totally love it and even watch repeats over and over again .watched the one last night where she gets hypnotised .i nearly fell off the settee LMFSO ,the wife loves it to .but then again we both have a sense of humour . the replies on this thread and the associated names explains a lot to me :ty: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

what a boring load of old farts on here ,i totally love it and even watch repeats over and over again .watched the one last night where she gets hypnotised .i nearly fell off the settee LMFSO ,the wife loves it to .but then again we both have a sense of humour . the replies on this thread and the associated names explains a lot to me :ty: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

What, keeping a log of the boring old farts ? :) I have never liked crude comedy, much prefer family friendly comedy. I do like adult related content, in the right context.

I know Dubliners who absolutely LOVE it - saying it's very true to life :D

I like it, I find it enjoyably funny. I'm keen on this sort of thing, very much liked Cuckoo, Hepburn etc. All british comedy on the BBC and enjoyable after a day at work and back from the gym!

I absolutely love it. Very cleverly done programme. Has us in stitches and laughing out loud.

So just because some people don't like it, they have no sense of humour?
Well, aren't you an odd little man!? :ROFLMAO:

Never got into it myself though the few bits of it I've watched were not terrible. I have friends that love it but I wouldn't say it's the best ever.

I have to say I'm amazed at "The Office" getting second place, that was a truly woeful series of programs.

Looking at the list there isn't one single sitcom in the top twenty that I've watched more than five minutes of. Most I've not seen at all, some I've not even heard of.

It is quite funny but very overated to be honest though I can't think of any recent situation comedy that was much good

I have never watched Mrs Brown's ... but the adverts for it did not encourage me to watch it. IMO, from the ads, it looked pretty dire. However, everyone is different and clearly a lot of folks like it.

I'm surprised by Count Arthur Strong. I thought it worked quite well when it was on radio, but I did not think it transferred to TV at all well. Some good ones, I think, in the list - The Thick of It, Black Books, Green Wing, Detectorists.

Dave

The only one in that list that made me really chuckle was the IT crowd

Sometimes I would watch Mrs Brown's Boys....but it gets tiring....

Took me a while to get into the office, more of a tragic farce than a mockumentary/sitcom - I enjoyed the Martin/Dawn story, Brent and Keenan made my Squirm, but it was Keith who was pure comedy gold! and I am sure everyone knows someone just like him, and ironically called......KEITH

Took me a while to get into the office, more of a tragic farce than a mockumentary/sitcom - I enjoyed the Martin/Dawn story, Brent and Keenan made my Squirm, but it was Keith who was pure comedy gold! and I am sure everyone knows someone just like him, and ironically called......KEITH
:sulk:

I loved "the office", because I could see characters in it very similar to ones I had met, in similar office jobs. I worked for two guys (different jobs) who were a caricature of David Brent, they were actually worse than him, and the rest of us in those offices nearly suffered cracked ribs from suppressing bouts of laughter, as a result of their OTT behaviour.
I was a big fan of "Phoenix Nights", "Car Share" and "The thick of it", as well as "Outnumbered".
Never really enjoyed "Mrs Brown" very much.
I was also very surprised to see when "Father Ted" and "The fast show" first came out, because I was really into them.

So just because some people don't like it, they have no sense of humour?
Well, aren't you an odd little man!? :ROFLMAO:
Leave my odd shaped little man out of it please ,you stitch me up girly ,little man eh suppose I can take that as a compliment really

Leave my odd shaped little man out of it please ,you stitch me up girly ,little man eh suppose I can take that as a compliment really

Mind bleach!! :wideyed:

i quite like it, but Father Ted destroys it completely. (being well aware that Fthr Ted was pre millenium)

Wow, isn't it funny how peoples sense of humour differs.

Mrs Browns Boys is laugh out loud, sometimes side splittingly funny (to me)
The cast are obviously not aware of some of the jokes that Brendan throws into the show and their reaction, in front of a live audience is funny. I love the ad libbing and when he 'plays' with the camera men.

Sadly, as I mentioned on another thread, the BBC are struggling to find a new sitcom to replace Outnumbered/My Family/The Vicar of Dibley/Only Fools and Horses.

I'm a supporter of Mrs Brown - I'd go with the award :) Count Arthur Strong was never up to much for me... Phoenix nights was ok - but Mrs Brown wins for me.

Can't abide Mrs Brown's Boys.

Ones on the list I enjoyed - IT Crowd (spiritual successor to Father Ted), Peep Show, Thick of It, Inbetweeners, 2012.
Miranda was OK - a bit variable.

But where on earth is The Mighty Boosh? I quite liked Toast of London as well.

First time I saw it, I thought it'd be huge, or a complete flop. Based on 70's scripts or stage shows or something isn't it?

It is quite funny but very overated to be honest though I can't think of any recent situation comedy that was much good

Exactly my thoughts - its good, and does make me laugh but probably the best of not a very inspiring bunch!

I've watched a couple of episodes and it just didn't gel on me at all no matter how hard I tried. And thus, I'm sorry but I can't see how Mrs Brown's Boys had got to be called "the best comedy show of this century".

As Simon says above, I thought the Inbetweeners was much funnier. I was going to mention greats such as Only Fools & Horses and Open All Hours but I realised those came out in the last century, same goes for The Royale Family which I thought was comedy genius and that never needed any canned laughter and not too much in the way of crass language.

I enjoyed The Office, and "Derek" was a surprise hidden gem.

Back