So now I have a Nikon D3! Now which lens!

Name
Eric
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok long story short, I wanted to upgrade my Sony A300. I was looking at the 700/900 or perhaps Nikon D700.

Anyhow, friend of a friend had one of these (1-2 months old) Lost job, needed money, so I snapped it up. Really good price and just couldnt say no.

Now I currently use a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 for my low light stuff in clubs. I have never looked at lenses for Nikon's so have no idea if there is a similar one.

Any help would be cool!

Thanks

If there's a Sigma of a certain range available in Sony/Minolta fit, you can be fairly sure that it's available in Nikon (and Canon) as well. There's also a 24-70 f/2.8 Sigma. Have a look at Sigma's website to see their current range - same with Nikon, Tamron etc.

Ok long story short, I wanted to upgrade my Sony A300. I was looking at the 700/900 or perhaps Nikon D700.

Anyhow, friend of a friend had one of these (1-2 months old) Lost job, needed money, so I snapped it up. Really good price and just couldnt say no.

Now I currently use a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 for my low light stuff in clubs. I have never looked at lenses for Nikon's so have no idea if there is a similar one.

Any help would be cool!

Thanks

There's a Nikkor 28-70 2.8 - which is still a really great lens although it's been superceded by the Nikkor 24-70 2.8
If you want to spend less than that, there's the Tamron 28-75 which will give you a fair bit of the performance of the above lenses without the same build quality. The Tamron isn't so bulky though, and for some that's a good thing. Sigma do a 24-70 2.8 but I've never used one.

Remember with the D3 being full frame a 28-70 would have a different effective field of view.

D3 really deserves the best glass there is - have a serious look at the new 24-70mm (or the older 28-70 s/h) both excellent on the D3.

D3 really deserves the best glass there is - have a serious look at the new 24-70mm (or the older 28-70 s/h) both excellent on the D3.

Are these the Sigma model's?

NO! "the best glass there is" - NIKON!
At least I think so.

Nikon's own (though old) 28-70 f/2.8 is a great lens - I still use one even though I have the choice of newer lenses available to me...

I better get some saving up done! Just looked on ebay and a used one is upto £400!

Nikon 28-70's go for around £700, 24-70's around the £1k mark.

For Sale D3 :LOL:

just buy the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 I used one on a D3 and it was fine, a billy bargain in the glass world

Depending on your Budget really. The Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 Is supposedley a cracking piece of glass. But if you can't afford it then a good copy of the sigma equivalent gives some amazingly sharp results.

The Nikon 24-70 was released as part of a range at the same time as the D3/D300. The 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 F2.8 & the 70-200 F2.8. Brilliant glass and probably the only 3 you'll ever need. Unless you're shooting wildlife, which i doubt you are since youve just bought a full frame camera.

But these are all very expensive options. The sigma 24-70 can be got for about £400 New while the nikon is, as you said, that price second hand

One day I will afford the Nikon's but looks like sigma for now.
No D3 for sale yet though! Its just a fantastic camera and I am so happy I bought it, wife isnt so much though lol

One day I will afford the Nikon's but looks like sigma for now.
No D3 for sale yet though! Its just a fantastic camera and I am so happy I bought it, wife isnt so much though lol

As wack said, consider the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 as well. ;)

Do you think if I took the camera down to jessops or the like, they will let me have 20mins with each lens? :)

Tamron 28-75mm.

I had the 24-70 Nikon, and in my opinion its not worth the extra over the Tamron (although some may disagree ;) ), for the very minimal performance gain.

Do you think if I took the camera down to jessops or the like, they will let me have 20mins with each lens? :)

Yes, they let you play with it.

And I'd get Tamron over Sigma any day.

I would think they would if you intend to buy it from them

The Nikon 28-70 f2.8, a.k.a the 'beast' is probably my favourite lens for portraits and rarely leaves my D200. If you ever get the chance to shoot with one, paired with your D3 it would be pretty much a Nikon dream team! p.s the skin tones and sharpness have to be seen to be believed :love:

Back