So P'D off with On1 what alternative?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
I am so P'd off with On1 nowadays, have tried to use it for many years always hoping they will fix ALL the bugs, lagging sliders and slow running, no matter what you report to them now you get the the same reply
'Thank you for contacting ON1 Software.

We apologize for the hassles.

Can you send us a copy of your ON1 Log File?'
Years ago it was 'Your computer needs an update of hardware'
They seem to be putting more effort in outdoing Adobe than making there program work efficiently.
Anyway looking for something outside On1 and Adobe that does not cost an arm and a leg that will also have the feature to select a bird/object in an image without having to select by hand (not Affinity Photo tried that one:))
Thanks, Russ.

Here I hope is a link to a short video of a problem I have with sliders. Watch the white balance slider.
https://drive.SPAM/urls/HRPWYA3REC#8pgfqGvGZSZr

Last edited:
Yes, still buggy. I often have crashes but have never had a reply from ON1!

However having moved from adobe , I've not found any software that does it all.

I'm using panasonic raw and quite like development in ON1

Only had probs with On1 PhotoRaw when using an Intel CPU with older on chip Graphics.

It's rock solid with my current PC, AMD 5xxx 32Gb ram and Nvidia RTX 12Gb graphics card.

Only had probs with On1 PhotoRaw when using an Intel CPU with older on chip Graphics.

It's rock solid with my current PC, AMD 5xxx 32Gb ram and Nvidia RTX 12Gb graphics card.
Hi, thanks, I have a Gforce RTX 2060 6GB, I7cpu and 16GB ram and this is one place I get stuck between new software or upgrade system, upgrade the system from used on Ebay as example only to your card £220 + 16GB DDR4 additional 16GB decent ram £60+ so not to short £300. As an amateur that is quite a layout to get application to run smoothly. Thanks again for the reply.

Hi, thanks, I have a Gforce RTX 2060 6GB, I7cpu and 16GB ram and this is one place I get stuck between new software or upgrade system, upgrade the system from used on Ebay as example only to your card £220 + 16GB DDR4 additional 16GB decent ram £60+ so not to short £300. As an amateur that is quite a layout to get application to run smoothly. Thanks again for the reply.
My previous PC was an Intel I5 2400K with 32GB and Nvidia GT 670 Card and I still did not get errors with ON1, the PC I did get errors was a works Dell with I5 4xxx with onchip graphics, I build my new PC when I retired 2 years ago.

I wish you luck with finding the software that works for you.

Have you tried DXO Photolab?

On1 have been promising the world and delivering buggy crap for years.

DXO change the colour of their menu text and charge you a full upgrade fee.

Affinity Photo has a brilliant pixel editor but their raw process has a long way to go before it's anywhere near their competitors.

People complain about Adobe subscription but it definitely the most mature software. Recent updates have been pretty good and it works.

Affinity Photo has a brilliant pixel editor but their raw process has a long way to go before it's anywhere near their competitors.

People complain about Adobe subscription but it definitely the most mature software. Recent updates have been pretty good and it works.
Hi, I did make the mistake of buying the Lightroom cloud option on the previous Amazon sale only to find that you really cannot do a lot outside of it (ie no option to open any other app except P/Shop) and I paid for two years worth:rolleyes:. Have looked at there other options but to be honest a bit confused on what one is closest to my old version 6 perpetual, loved that version 6 but everything has moved on at some pace. Russ.

Hi, I did make the mistake of buying the Lightroom cloud option on the previous Amazon sale only to find that you really cannot do a lot outside of it (ie no option to open any other app except P/Shop) and I paid for two years worth:rolleyes:. Have looked at there other options but to be honest a bit confused on what one is closest to my old version 6 perpetual, loved that version 6 but everything has moved on at some pace. Russ.

Well that's just not correct at all. You can setup any app you like to send image to from LR.

Another vote for DXO and Affinity
DXO is a brilliant Raw converter and Affinity does everything I need for pixel editing

Can you be more specific on the bolded bit.

Most apps that you might want to open from Lightroom come with some sort of dedicated Lightroom plugin, that allows you to roundtrip from LR to and from the app. One of the grat benefits of LR is that it's popularity means many external apps are made to work with LR.

There is also a LR plugin from John Beardsworth that allows you to run other apps from LR.

You can also right click on a thumbnail and open with finder (on a Mac at least) and select from drop down list of apps in the context menu to open the file in another app

And (again this may be a Mac thing only) you drag a thumbnail into another running program or program icon to open it from LR.

I can't say I like LR very much, and C1 (my preference) works a bit better with external apps than LR when there isn't a plugin available, but my experience with LR is that one of its advantages is how well it normally works with other apps, because there is usually a dedicated plugin available.

Lightroom Classic is the modern equivalent to LR6.

You don't need a plugin to be able to edit in an external editor from LR.

Just add your own. Any app you like, assuming it edits images that is.

View attachment 396635
Yes, a fairly obvious option to miss of my list. When you add options here, are they available from the menus, as they are with plugins.

Hi, sorry don't wish to contradict but there is no way to add external applications in the cloud storage option Lightroom, as can be seen by the image under File there is only Photoshop and in the preferences no option to change much at all. I didn't look into it very well just saw the special I think it was Black Friday deal and jumped in. Russ.
20230727_113519.jpg20230727_113624.jpg

Hi, sorry don't wish to contradict but there is no way to add external applications in the cloud storage option Lightroom, as can be seen by the image under File there is only Photoshop and in the preferences no option to change much at all. I didn't look into it very well just saw the special I think it was Black Friday deal and jumped in. Russ.
View attachment 396636View attachment 396637
Sorry, looking back you did say the Lightroom cloud version, which I know nothing about.

View attachment 396636View attachment 396637

I never knew that. I honestly can't find any reason for anybody using this cloud version. It seems to be crippled in every way.

LR Classic is what you need.

They are available Photo->Edit In menu and also the Right Click->Edit in menu.
Thanks, I did know you could do this, but at the same time I had it in my head that using an apps LR Plugin offered some advantages.

I never knew that. I honestly can't find any reason for anybody using this cloud version. It seems to be crippled in every way.

LR Classic is what you need.
I've been using the cloud version for years. I cannot imagine going back to Classic with it's deeply dated interface, poor performance, messing about with catalogs, where my files are etc. Cloud LR is wonderful, my images are just there, on whatever device I'm using. I mainly edit on my iPad now, but I can edit on my phone, laptop, even a web browser. As long as I have an internet connection I can access my Raw files from anywhere on Earth. I don't have to worry about file systems, syncing, what external drive is this image on etc. It just works, seamlessly. But then I've never used a plugin in my life, I don't do HDR or Pano stitching (although you can do both of these in the desktop cloud LR app) and I don't print. So horses for courses. The editing tools available between the two versions are identical now as well. It's come a long way since it was released in 2015, it was a bit crippled back then but its not now.

Last edited:

I only use Affinity now, haven't touched Gimp since last year.
I find that most times Affinity can do what I want with RAWs, and the odd time it doesn't, RawTherapy does what I need

Have you thought about C1 Express? I use that for basic raw editing, then move into Photoshop (never liked Lightroom). Only one or two extra clicks :)

I have splashed out and bought affinity photo 2, on special offer till end of month. Tried it with DXO pure raw and does what I need combined. Thanks for all the advice here. Russ

I have splashed out and bought affinity photo 2, on special offer till end of month. Tried it with DXO pure raw and does what I need combined. Thanks for all the advice here. Russ
Do you know there is an ordinary windows install as well as the app version?

The app version is a pain in some instances, especially when trying to call it from other software.

Many people (myself included) were on the verge of asking for a refund until they saw the light and promised to release a normal windows install.

It is superbly easy to use though, you won't regret buying it

Do you know there is an ordinary windows install as well as the app version?

The app version is a pain in some instances, especially when trying to call it from other software.

Many people (myself included) were on the verge of asking for a refund until they saw the light and promised to release a normal windows install.

It is superbly easy to use though, you won't regret buying it
Hi, Found out on there forum best option to install but thankyou for the heads up, working along side Faststone Viewer :whistle: Russ.

What do you need DxO Pureraw for and how does your workflow between the two applications look like?

I need to get off this old version of LR6 but on reading reviews of ON1 there's consistent comments on problems with the software as you've mentioned here so it's out of contention.

What do you need DxO Pureraw for and how does your workflow between the two applications look like?

I need to get off this old version of LR6 but on reading reviews of ON1 there's consistent comments on problems with the software as you've mentioned here so it's out of contention.
I use DXO on most images I shoot in a wood as I have ISO from 6400 to 12400, I find DXO better than On1 denoising for high ISO images, Always Denoise first.
Have now managed to get On1 2023 working after help from them via emails.
wREN iMAGE VIA dxo AND oN1.
Wren 11 Aug 23.jpg

Back