So tell me more about TLR's please?

the Beautyflex. It has already arrived and is in excellent condition

Nice. That looks very similar to my Rolleicord V.

Most TLRs like this have the film wind on one side and the focus on the other. The V and your Beautyflex have both on the same side which I think makes it easier to handl.e.

Steve.

Nice. That looks very similar to my Rolleicord V.

Most TLRs like this have the film wind on one side and the focus on the other. The V and your Beautyflex have both on the same side which I think makes it easier to handl.e.

Steve.

As I haven't tried any with the wind on on the other side, I can't comment on it comparatively, but it certainly feels 'easy' in the hand, if that make sense, feels natural to have them side by side... quite glad the wind on has to have a button pressed to actually work though, or you know what I would do accidentally don't you :LOL:

I have also got myself a nice neckstrap too, as god only knows where all mine have gone [probably still in the original Nikon boxes at the back of the junk room], I never use them normally, the weight of a modern digital with fast lenses bolted to them is not good for the neck so I tend to either not use a strap at all, or when I do its a sling type Rapid strap, either single across shoulder/chest or double as a harness with both cameras on it. Even withthis I will probably have it on my shoulder most of the time, only moving to neck when actually taking a picture as mentioned earlier in the thread, to help brace the camera against body if needed.

Regards the flash setting. Some Yashica mats would lock up their shutter requiring disassembly if the self timer was used with the flash lever in the non x position.

In theory, It's the second frame after the film has been sitting for a while (how long is debatable), although this problem is not necessarily unique to, nor does it apply to all, TLRs. In practice, I've only ever seen this issue twice with a medium format SLR and it was difficult to see.

Minolta Autocords and, I believe, Mamiya TLRs don't have this problem as the film path is straighter.

Glad on 2 counts - firstly that it's unlikely to be a problem for Yv in real life and secondly (possibly more importantly to me, personally!) that I do still have some reasonable memory left for trivia!!!

I dunno, WOMEN! You try to give them sensible advice and they all know best! Harumph. Double port please, Roberts.
:p:exit:

Beatyflex, I must admit, is darn near irresistible. But, you know the rules, pics or it didn't happen (and that's not digi pics of the camera, of course). ;) :pics::snaphappy:

Double port? Large port, maybe but a double would imply that Roberts uses a measure rather than a quavering pour until he hears "When!"!!!
And yes, proper shots OF as well as WITH her!

Regards the flash setting. Some Yashica mats would lock up their shutter requiring disassembly if the self timer was used with the flash lever in the non x position.

Yes, the manual says something about that for this, if in M dont move the lever with the yellow dot, or something that doesn't make absolute sense to me. Suffice to say that it is set on X and left there, not touching any of them whilst I have no plans to use flash. Out at the moment, snapping some bits of suburban London with this and the pentax 35mm, to see how it gets on. Just having a pit stop for coffee, fairly certain I have messed up at least half the frames taken with one error or another, but hey, its a learning curve and just a test run really. I know the first frame is double exposed, forgot I took a quick test shot last night of one of the cats, bit still, a wild cherry in full blossom on top of a fancy long haired cat, that might work :facepalm:

@Nod Pics of her in the new toy thread ;)

I don't know if this thread can by made responsible, but yesterday I ended up with this brick!

16259131004_6637ed4a1f_z.jpg

It's not the threads fault, it's obviously Yv's fault :D

UPDATE**

I am now the proud owner of a very pretty TLR, and so far not too much grief from HTMBO.

So, because I am woman, and because I NEVER do what men say, I took all the general advice on board from this thread, and then used it to be a bit mad and went for something different and less well known, the one I linked to earlier, the Beautyflex. It has already arrived and is in excellent condition, not unused but very clean compared to many TLR's I have seen and seems mechanically very sound, but will put film through it this weekend and then find out for sure. The optics look very clear, viewfinder is bright enough for me, even indoors and it looks oh so cute [hence I gave in to the £99 price tag, its a gurl thing]

beautyflex by Yvonne White LBIPP - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Reactions: Yv

That's it! That's the comprehensible version of the vague, useless warning I posted upthread :p

First roll is in the bag, literally, the jiffy bag, ready to be posted off this week and already itching to put another one through. Pretty sure I messed up about half of it, but had so much fun using it. Need to get March out of the way, then with an escape from London on the horizon, will probably be spending quite a bit of time in the company of this camera reshooting my favourite bits of this city square before it becomes more of an effort to get here :D

Yes. The whole point of a TLR in this day and age, is to whizz through a roll as fast as you can, and get results in a hurry. ☺

Last edited:
Yes. The whole point of a TLR in this day and age, is to whizz through a roll as fast as you can, and get results in a hurry. ☺

:LOL: in fairness, test rolls probably aren't that important, you can whizz through them just checking shutter speeds and apertures all seem to be working and light seals after developing. My next roll through this [and I am determined NOT to put any more through until this one comes back] will be planned, in fact the next several, like I say, I want to redo certain bits of London I love in a different way.

On the recent jaunt, not only did Gareth bump into another Hassleblad user (with a digital back on it, unlike Gareth who stuck religiously to film during daylight hours) but I also spotted a lady using a TLR at the top of Gullfoss waterfalls. Didn't see exactly what she was using - not really the done thing to stare at a lady's chesticle area!!!

I expect they get as upset as diji shooters when you refer to their format as miniature.

...and it always amazes me with those Xtra-large 35mm film Nikons with motor drives etc all for a tiny neg :D

...and it always amazes me with those Xtra-large 35mm film Nikons with motor drives etc all for a tiny neg

Yes. The first time I saw a Nikon F4 I couldn't believe it was so large just to produce a postage stamp sized negative.

Steve.

I was always taught that a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un, which is why a Nikon will always beat a Hasselblad :D. Not that I've ever owned either brand. I think that they meant the camera, cos that's what photographers talk about, innit?

Reactions: Yv
Lovely sharpness, Yv. You've gotten a beauty there. (Badumtish)

(I think there's a green tint on your scans, though!)

Lovely sharpness, Yv. You've gotten a beauty there. (Badumtish)

(I think there's a green tint on your scans, though!)

I would possibly agree, I adjusted tint on a couple just to see, but I am still a bit new to using the scanner [ok, VERY NEW] so figuring things out. I looked at previous ones scanned at the lab on same film [portra btw, albeit these are 400, other stuff was 160] and they are pretty closely matched, so still can't decide. However, if you are seeing it too, then more inclined to think the nudge I tried on a couple in Lightroom was probably right. (y)

I would possibly agree, I adjusted tint on a couple just to see, but I am still a bit new to using the scanner [ok, VERY NEW] so figuring things out. I looked at previous ones scanned at the lab on same film [portra btw, albeit these are 400, other stuff was 160] and they are pretty closely matched, so still can't decide. However, if you are seeing it too, then more inclined to think the nudge I tried on a couple in Lightroom was probably right. (y)

No, I'm a frickin' idiot. Memo to self: don't look at photos at night when you're using F.lux[1] to reduce the blue light on your monitor. Your scans are fine :D

[1] https://justgetflux.com/

They look very good Yv. That's it you're hooked now.

I was looking at some of my shots on flickr the other day, some digital and some taken at the same location on film. The digital ones are pin sharp, beautifully rendered, lovely colours and all over great, then I looked at the film shots and they are just better.... something intangible makes them look infinitely better to the digi shots to my eye. Your shots above have that same quality, a smoothness, a creaminess almost, something that hasn't got that electronic edge to it. I wish I was more eloquent then I could describe it better but there you go, a picture paints a thousand words. :D

No, I'm a frickin' idiot. Memo to self: don't look at photos at night when you're using F.lux[1] to reduce the blue light on your monitor. Your scans are fine :D

[1] https://justgetflux.com/

:LOL: Fair enough, I am still undecided on some, but its film and I am still getting used to its colours and tones, so I am equally an idiot atm ;)

Does remind me of being in the opticians the other day, new readers are needed, and he was telling me about a coating I could have on them that reduces ultra violet light. He handed me a test pair with this coating to try on and as I plonked them on my face, he said 'you will see everything has a slight yellowy look because they are cutting down blue light" I took one look at his computer screen and handed them back explaining "as I said, I am a photographer, that coating is affecting colour on the screen, which is pretty useless for me" He had a look of enlightenment and apologised saying it hadn't even occurred to him, but of course. So I didn't get upsold to that particular fancy coating :LOL:

They look very good Yv. That's it you're hooked now.

I was looking at some of my shots on flickr the other day, some digital and some taken at the same location on film. The digital ones are pin sharp, beautifully rendered, lovely colours and all over great, then I looked at the film shots and they are just better.... something intangible makes them look infinitely better to the digi shots to my eye. Your shots above have that same quality, a smoothness, a creaminess almost, something that hasn't got that electronic edge to it. I wish I was more eloquent then I could describe it better but there you go, a picture paints a thousand words. :D

Totally hooked, just loving the look and whole process that is film. I know souping your own is the 'purists' way, butI even enjoy the anticiaption of having to wait until I have a few rolls done, then sending them off and waiting for their return. if anyone was following my flickr account last night or hobby blog, they must have thought i had gone a bit mad, 5 rolls came back Wednesday :D

Back