So this is how the self cleaning sensor works..

See! Didn't I say that all camera bags should pack a vibrator?

well the cunning little camera monkeys!

Is this that 400D cleaning video with the incredibly ShoppingChannelARiffic voiceover?

Wow, that sounds so NU & INNUVARTIVE!

Nobody has done this before... Honest!

lol I watched it yesterday, but never got round to posting it....After I asked, I clicked the link to check....silly of me I know...:bonk:

So you reckon this self cleaning thing will catch on? Will it make a difference to Canons market share of Entry level DSLR?

Not sure how this will effect market share, as I think alone it's probably too small to judge - but I do think it'll catch on.
Dust is a serious PITA for dSLR users - so anything which aleviates that, even to a small extent, has to be a good thing.
This would also remove the need to clean altogethor for a lot of users - although I'm sure it wouldn't stand up to the level of scrutiny a lot of people here expect, it's probably more than acceptable for most users.

My only reservation is that it makes the sensor filter array more complex - which is bad news for modding it!

So you reckon this self cleaning thing will catch on?

You wait and see..;)

The new 1D series (still rumoured) will have the same device fitted as will all Canon's DSLR range in the next 2 years.(y)

I can see it being a bonus on the pro end, definately.

I like how they're honest in that video and say "actually it wont shift all the crap from the sensor, for the stubborn buggers, we still got the software / algorithms to sort it out"

It will catch on for the simple reason that everyone else is introducing or has introduced similar solutions and therefore to omit it will be a negative when potential buyers are comparing products.

Filthy sensors are the only drawback with digital cameras as we know them.:(

There are 100's of people who use their cameras on a daily basis with dust bunnies showing on most shots with skies involved..:(

They have to eliminate this problem for the consumer to keep the sales pattern at a high level.:)

Hmmmm. Not convinced that a bit of shaking will work, but if it improves things even by a small margin, then it's going to convince the consumer. Wouldn't make me swap my camera though. I'm happy swiping the sensor now and then.

This should help but at least it's acknowledged that all dust won't be removed by the system. Good voice-over and young groovers music :p

At a guess? Not great but usable.
Newer almost always = worse, but they also tend to use cheaper filters in the lower end bodies... Which means better! So it'll probably sit at something like worse than a 350D but better than a 20D...

Still. As I mentioned, it'd make it a right PITA to mod for full time IR - something I have on the cards for a D50 :)

Back