So Undecided????????

Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
Hey there peeps, im upgrading my kit lens on my 400d, been looking at the canon 28-135 and the tamron 17-50, i make up my mind and go for the tammy, but then just before i go to buy i think should i be buying this or is there anything better in my budget, my budget is approx £400, ive asked a few questions about this before and had soom very good feedback on the tammy, but i need someone to really convince me this is the lens to buy or is there something better out there:thinking:

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEE..............:bang:

... been looking at the canon 28-135 and the tamron 17-50 ...
They are completely different lenses. Different focal lengths. Different apertures. One has IS and one doesn't. Each will allow you to take photos that the other one won't. But only you can know which suits your needs more. I don't see how we can help you here.
... or is there anything better in my budget ...
Better for what? Define "better" and you'll have your answer.

What i want is something that will allow me to shoot low light which is why i favoured the tammy as its a constant 2.8, the kits lens i find is soooo soft and would like a big jump in quality and sharpness and from what ive seen the tammy has outstanding results and i.q for the price tag, im going to taking alot of portraits of friends and family soon, which will be indoors in quite a tight space which is where i think the tammy will fair best, am i right or wrong???? i was told to get the canon 85mm prime for portraits which i would love to but im tight for space and feel i wouldnt have to room.....

Cheers..

Have you the budget for an 'L' lens?

Look at the Sigma's too. The 17-70mm i think is f2.8 throughout.

Another option if you are concentrating on portraits is to buy a prime lens. Better IQ but fixed focal length. I would recommend the Canon 50mm f1.4 or even the Nifty fifty 50mm f1.8. My fave has to be the Canon 85mm f1.8. Check out examples at the links i gave you above.

Hi Andywest, No i dont really have the budget for an L lens, my budget is £350-£400 max..

Yes the tamron 17-50 has VC (vibration compensation), but its only out in nikon fitment at the mo, and also ive heard the new tammy will have a price tag of around £600..

For what you want to use it for i would still go for a Prime! The Canon 50mm 1.4 and 85mm f1.8 are both around £270

Ive got the canon 50mm 1.8, but the space i have availible to work in is small and think the 85mm will be a tad to long..

Ive got the canon 50mm 1.8, but the space i have availible to work in is small and think the 85mm will be a tad to long..

Yup, how about a 35mm or 28mm? Not sure how much new ones are but Sigma do a few. Also they do a 10-20mm for £389 but it's f4-f5.6 so not much help if you want fast.

I bought a Super Takumar 28mm f3.5 (can get better aperture ones!) for £35. Ok it is used, old and manual only but with a £2.49 adapter will fit on your camera. Mind you you don't have live view which really helps focusing.

Just a thought!

cheers andywest, ive just had a look on warehouse express site at the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Lens , its within my budget at £388, prime and very fast, but would it fair in the portrait world....???:shrug:

The better alternatives would be:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (if you can wait for VC then do so) - DX only
Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM - around £400 used and very sharp - FX
Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 - DX only

I had very terrible experience with Sigma 24-70mm and I know many people who also had the same problems. 18-50mm f/2.8 is a little better, stopped down to f/5.6. I'd avoid sigma if you are looking for good focus and sharp images at pixel level. They may print OK 6x4", but that 24-70 couldn't do even that. Be warned!

cheers andywest, ive just had a look on warehouse express site at the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Lens , its within my budget at £388, prime and very fast, but would it fair in the portrait world....???:shrug:

I'd avoid that one to be honest. It is SOFT and has focusing problems. Have a look here if you still don't believe me. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanbarrow/3886676466/ - one of my friend's stream. It is quite obviously back focusing. Also it is way too wide for this kind of shot they way it was done.
If your ultimate goal is f/1.4 at 30mm at any expense then get one, otherwise look elsewhere. Some people buy it for gigs when fuzzy photo is better than no photo.

For portraits 85mm f/1.8 is really good, and a longer macro or 200mm for headshots. (70-200mm is fine as well)

I hate choosing a lens, too much choice AHHHHHH! :D

I think the 17-40 L is too slow at f4 for what he wants to do.

Best look at image examples at the addresses posted above.

Direct link: just had a look and WOW! http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141274&highlight=sigma

I do find Warehouse Express expensive when i'm comparing prices and i usually find in most cases camerabox better. http://www.camerabox.co.uk/productsDA1.asp?DepartmentID=54

Ok i can't find the 30mm at camerabox :(

I agree andy those pics really are WOW WEE :LOL:

To be honest i'm torn between the tammy 17-50 2.8 and the siggy 30mm 1.4 prime AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:bang:

flip a coin mate!

I agree andy those pics really are WOW WEE :LOL:

To be honest i'm torn between the tammy 17-50 2.8 and the siggy 30mm 1.4 prime AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:bang:

Just get the Tamron then.

Seriously if there is nothing in it for IQ then get the Tamron as you will have the focal range. Just make sure there's no 'image defects' at either end of the range on the Tamron.

I have just had a look and compared images and i think the Siggy just has it for IQ and it's f1.4 but if you can live with f2.8 then get the Tammy.

My Sigma EX 18-50mm f/2.8 is a cracking lens and provides nice sharp images

Ok, just my opinion but from what i have seen on the net the images from the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 are not as good as the Tamron or the 30mm Siggy. It may just be the selection i have seen but not many are pin sharp like the tammy or 30mm sig.

I must admit i'm falling in love with the Sigma 30mm f1.4 oooooooooh!

Quote from Ephotozine site:

Verdict
This is a ‘standard’ lens for a cropped digital SLR. 25 years ago, all SLR’s came with a ‘standard’ lens and everybody learned how to use one. Those lenses, at 50mm, are still about but don’t have the versatility that they had on a 35mm film camera. This 30mm offering from Sigma is a brave move forward that takes a backward step! It makes a lot of sense. The picture quality alone, putting all the acquired knowledge of digital capture from the last few years into a simply constructed lens will pay dividends for those of you who purchase this lens. Me? I don’t really want to send it back!

Ok, just my opinion but from what i have seen on the net the images from the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 are not as good as the Tamron or the 30mm Siggy. It may just be the selection i have seen but not many are pin sharp like the tammy or 30mm sig.

I concour that the tammy and the siggy 30mm prime do indeed look sharper...

I WANT BOTH :nuts:

sigma 18-50...

EXIF Image Details - Camera: Canon EOS 20D, Focal Length: 29 mm, F-Number: F/3.5, Exposure Time: 0.0166 sec. 1/60, Metering Mode: Spot, ISO Speed: 200, Flash Mode: Off
IMG_3777-vi.jpg

100% crop
IMG_3777a-vi.jpg

i can do you loads more if you wish..

edit - in fact have a troll around my flickr, 99% of the static shots are 18-50.

Thanks for the shots neil, most impressive i must say ;)

sigma 18-50...

EXIF Image Details - Camera: Canon EOS 20D, Focal Length: 29 mm, F-Number: F/3.5, Exposure Time: 0.0166 sec. 1/60, Metering Mode: Spot, ISO Speed: 200, Flash Mode: Off
IMG_3777-vi.jpg

100% crop
IMG_3777a-vi.jpg

i can do you loads more if you wish..

edit - in fact have a troll around my flickr, 99% of the static shots are 18-50.

Anybody got anything similar from the tammy or siggy 30mm prime??

Im going to have a good mooch through them later andy, it is another for the list, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo :LOL:, im going to have a gd read up later about the tammy 17-50 2.8, the siggy 30mm 1.8 and the siggy 18-50 2.8, mmmmmm i wonder how my head will be feeling later :puke:...........

:LOL:

I just bought a 35mm f2 for £55. My wallet hurts now!! :D

If you can wait that long, I believe in the upcoming (Sep 23?) edition of PhotoPlus - Canon there is an article called 'Help Me Buy A Replacement for the Kit Lens', in which there is a comparison of the two Sigma 18-50's (f2.8 and the f2.8-4.5 OS version), the Tamron 17-50, and the Canon 17-40L and 17-55 lenses. I was lucky enough to be doing the comparisons. :D

If you can wait that long, I believe in the upcoming (Sep 23?) edition of PhotoPlus - Canon there is an article called 'Help Me Buy A Replacement for the Kit Lens', in which there is a comparison of the two Sigma 18-50's (f2.8 and the f2.8-4.5 OS version), the Tamron 17-50, and the Canon 17-40L and 17-55 lenses. I was lucky enough to be doing the comparisons. :D

And the verdict was??????????????????

Oh, go on then. Obviously, it depends on budget, and what use you will make of the different lens' attributes. For me, without wishing to stop anyone from going into their local newsagents, and leafing through the mag in the aisles ( :p ), it was definitely Canon - Tamron - Sigma, but all of them had their positives.

Back