So What do Green Woodies Feet Look Like?

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Well a juvenile has feet like these...

juvenilegreen10.jpg

juvenilegreen11.jpg

Whilst his mum has ones like these....[please excuse massive crop on this but I wasn't going to miss a Green Woodpecker actually in a tree]

femalegreen.jpg

Now then, where's Ven? :naughty::D

Last edited:
Now then, where's Ven? :naughty::D

Here and ready to be counted ... :LOL:

A-may-zing captures Lady ... :clap: ... what else is there to say ... :shrug: ... when challenged the lady sure does deliver ... :naughty:

Well done you ... (y) ... and so soon ... :eek:

:p

Thankyou Sir, just for you, green ones, with feet! :D

TBH, I would have been happy just getting a shot of one woodpecker with the new lens, but two different birds, both with feet was a pleasant surprise. All I need now is a lesser spotted and I have the full house woodpecker wise :LOL:

great set of shots. I like them

LuckyLady said:
All I need now is a lesser spotted and I have the full house woodpecker wise

Now that is a gauntlet I would gladly slap you with (lightly of course ... :D) ... :naughty:

I have only ever seen one LSW in England ... :eek: ... and that was NOT in my garden ... :shrug:

Oh ... and you haven't shown us the male Greenies feet yet ... :LOL:

Now that is a gauntlet I would gladly slap you with (lightly of course ... :D) ... :naughty:

I have only ever seen one LSW in England ... :eek: ... and that was NOT in my garden ... :shrug:

Oh ... and you haven't shown us the male Greenies feet yet ... :LOL:

According to some online research, LSW's live in some woods nearby here, trouble is, those same woods are frequented by any kids feeling the need to bunk school for the day, so I am not totally ok with the idea of lugging a couple of grands worth of kit round there on my own. Need to find someone to come with. However I might go take a walk when the rain finally stops properly and do a recce mission ;)

As for males, I 'think' the juvenile might be male as there appears to be the start of a red moustache, but I could be wrong, all the young might have those red cheeks :shrug:

Apart from the sensible precautions you are taking (we have the same problems in our local wooded areas) I reckon you will be very fortunate to see LSW at this time of year ... :cautious: ... they are notoriously hard in the Winter but in the Summer, as they spend most of their time in the canopy, they are extremely difficult to spot, let alone photograph, with all the foliage out ... :shrug:

If you do go chasing them you take care out there and may Lady Luck shine on you once more ... ;)

Blurred :D
Nicely caught Yvonne (y)

Pretty neat shots Yvonne - thats the new lens in action? Very nice!

Great stuff. Psst wanna buy a hide as I think I will give up after these!

Many thanks all. (y)

The funny thing is, I never cease to be amazed by the variety of species that can be seen in a Nth London garden, albeit one in a leafy-ish suburb, but you know what, there is still one breed I have never managed to photograph in my own garden and thats the humble sparrow. We just don't see them here. Get up onto the high rd and they are hanging around on pavements outside the cafes and coffee bars, but never here in the gardens :shrug: I am thinking I need to throw out scraps of ciabatta and cappachino :LOL:

Macky, got myself a Sigma 120-300 and x1.4tc, pics in equipment area ;)

Last edited:
Great capture LadyLens (y) I really like the last one, It's a great pose. looks like she's got her eye on U :D

Aw they look a lot like parrots feet! I've only ever seen one flash past in an instant before.

I prefer the first 2 pics i think :)

LOL. I can do Green Woodies feet. :D

IMG_4960-01.jpg

Seriously LL, those are great and it does look like a juvenile male. You're very lucky to catch one on the fence like that, usually they're on the ground looking for insects. The young lack a little caution, but they soon grow out of it - unfortunately.

Great shots LL. :clap:
Been trying to get some of these up here, round the woods and lakes.
Have to come to your garden I think, with my tent :LOL:

Thanks again guys, I think these are probably the peak of my 'got it' photography year, its all down hill from here, back to starlings and blue tits :LOL:

CT, thats a lovely capture too, like you say, it's a shame they become more cautious as they get older.

Back