So what is it?

Name
Lorraine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, These are two photos from a trip to London last week, both are straight out of camera. I'm not posting for critique - I know the focus is way off in both of them, sadly. These were taken seconds apart, but there is what looks to be a white light in the sky on the second one. I don't think it's a plane because I managed to catch one on another image and it showed up as a thin streak of light.

I know there's got to be a sensible explanation about what caused the light - can anyone help?

DSC_4869_125.JPG

DSC_4870_126.JPG

Cheers, Dem

I've no idea what it is but I'm watching with interest

Looks like a meteor.

me too Stuart - I didn't even know I'd caught it until I got home and put the photos onto my laptop.

Thanks Ken - I wondered about that, but it looked a bit on the big side (mind you, I'm not a meteor expert)

as above I would say an airplane

On the 5th Sept around 10.50 pm a meteor was sighted in the southwest

may be that

me too Stuart - I didn't even know I'd caught it until I got home and put the photos onto my laptop.

Thanks Ken - I wondered about that, but it looked a bit on the big side (mind you, I'm not a meteor expert)

They tend to last for fractions of a second. Seems like a good bet that it is.
Looks the right size too.

thanks for all the replies - sounds like it was a meteor.

I knew there'd be a rational explanation - as far as I know ET went home a few years back ;-)

I'm quite chuffed to have caught it - I'd never have managed to get it if I'd set out to

Last edited:
I think a meteor is unlikely.

Meteors burn up well above the ground, anywhere from about 40 to 100 km.

The light on the photo is illuminating the cloud. If a meteor had got low enough to be in the cloud then it would have been a major news item and no one would have missed the sonic boom.

I think a plane in the cloud is more likely.

Dave

I thought Helcopter as soon as I saw it ;)

Les :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh. Helicopter for me too.

I'm almost certain it will be an aircraft on approach to LHR that would be my guess looking at it the positioning would be correct...

On a photo point of view I hope you've got some with better focus (y) as these are very soft to the point of being OOF

Appears to be in or below the clouds, which pretty much rules out meteor or an iridium flare.

Out of focus light coming from an aircraft most likely.

Wow - thanks again for all of your suggestions

I'm almost certain it will be an aircraft on approach to LHR that would be my guess looking at it the positioning would be correct...

On a photo point of view I hope you've got some with better focus (y) as these are very soft to the point of being OOF

Yes, the shots are pretty bad aren't they? These were my first attempt at night photography and I had real trouble focussing - I did manage some better ones, but not of London Bridge unfortunately.

(sorry, can't work out how to do a second quote - Carlh - how about posting up the RAW for us all to play with, perhaps someone can fiddle with PP to show what it is
Today 01:15

I'm happy to post the RAW file, but I thought that the images had to be posted as resized jpegs? Could you let me know how to post the RAW file please?

Wow - thanks again for all of your suggestions

Yes, the shots are pretty bad aren't they? These were my first attempt at night photography and I had real trouble focussing - I did manage some better ones, but not of London Bridge unfortunately.

(sorry, can't work out how to do a second quote - Carlh - how about posting up the RAW for us all to play with, perhaps someone can fiddle with PP to show what it is
Today 01:15

I'm happy to post the RAW file, but I thought that the images had to be posted as resized jpegs? Could you let me know how to post the RAW file please?

If you use Dropbox which you can set up a free account you can upload the RAW file then post a link to be able to download that file (y) as to focussing at night in London it should be perfectly possible to use one shot auto focus to achieve focus there is that much light around..also if your on a tripod make sure you turn IS/VR/OS off

Last edited:
Hi Matthew,

I'll try to put something on via dropbox later today.

The problem was completely down to me - this shot was taken with manual focus - I really should know better :bang:. I got some later shots of the shard, London Eye and Big Ben with no problems. I really should have checked the first images before moving along from the spot where we were, it gives me an excuse for going back if nothing else

Hi Matthew,

I'll try to put something on via dropbox later today.

The problem was completely down to me - this shot was taken with manual focus - I really should know better :bang:. I got some later shots of the shard, London Eye and Big Ben with no problems. I really should have checked the first images before moving along from the spot where we were, it gives me an excuse for going back if nothing else

A great way to look at it :D I need to get down to the smoke, I've got a meeting in Westminster in a couple of months, I might hand around till after dark :D

Hi Matthew, you should if you can spare the time. I'm down there for work fairly often, but it's generally a one day trip and the camera stays at home. I've been promising myself a couple of days break down there for ages and these photos are part of the result.

I'm really struggling with dropbox.... I got a friend to set it up and put the photo on, but then time ran away. I've gone into my account and the RAW file is there alright, but I'm not convinced this link will work.....

https://www.dropbox.com/static/images/icons128/page_white_picture.png

Ah - looks like it might have worked!

I'd be interested to know what it is.

Hi Matthew, you should if you can spare the time. I'm down there for work fairly often, but it's generally a one day trip and the camera stays at home. I've been promising myself a couple of days break down there for ages and these photos are part of the result.

I'm really struggling with dropbox.... I got a friend to set it up and put the photo on, but then time ran away. I've gone into my account and the RAW file is there alright, but I'm not convinced this link will work.....

https://www.dropbox.com/static/images/icons128/page_white_picture.png

Ah - looks like it might have worked!

that's not a link for downloading the file ;)

and yes I think I will spend the evening there after my meeting :D

Back