So what's all the fuss with Fuji then?

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
A long term member I know from here was always a die hard Nikon fan but I have recently learned that his has switched over to Fuji.
I've noticed that others here have or are also in the process of switching over to Fuji as well but I don't get what the fuss is all about?
Personally you would have to prise my cold dead fingers open to take away Canon from me because they are perfect for me.
I've had a google around and looked at the Fuji X system bodies and to me they look plain, boring and lake style plus the focal lengths of the lenses are quite short and I don't see a lens in their series that would be suitable for wildlife photography?
Having been away from photography for a few years I was unaware that Fuji had entered the DSLR market until I returned to this forum.
I know it's a case of 'each to their own' and I certainly would not knock anyone for their prefered choice but I just can't see any reason for switching from either Canon or Nikon to Fuji?

Fuji haven't made a DSLR since the S5 as far as I know. So I can only assume you're talking about the XT1, X100S/T, XE2's etc. All of which are mirrorless.

To answer your question I'd suggest a few reasons come into play. Here's a couple of mine:

1. Cost. A fraction when compared to a full Canon or Nikon setup (I have both by the way).
2. Size. Much smaller package and easy on the back for people who travel or shoot over a long period of time.
3. Looks. Plain and boring aren't words I've ever heard anyone use when describing the X Pro 1, XT1 or X100 range. You own a Canon you say?
4. Image quality. The die hard Nikon fan you mentioned. Have you seen a reduction in image quality since he switched? Could you tell the difference between his Nikon and Fuji shots?
5. Fun. I'm a photographer because I like taking pictures. I have much much more fun shooting with an XT1 or X100T when compared to my Nikon, or previously Canon, kit.

EDIT: On the wildlife point, I think you're right. You might want to look up the Fuji lens roadmap, which details their expected lens release dates.

Last edited:
Not a lot really, IQ and high ISO performance is very similar to the high end Canon and Nikon ranges, Fuji's are just smaller, lighter and sexier :naughty:

Fuji haven't made a DSLR since the S5 as far as I know. So I can only assume you're talking about the XT1, X100S/T, XE2's etc. All of which are mirrorless.

I did wonder as the bodies looked to small to be a DSLR but I have not read anything about the specs.

Size. Much smaller package and easy on the back for people who travel or shoot over a long period of time.

I've not held one but I have been on very long walks with a backpack filled with camera gear, a thermos and sarnies, I am hardly the fittest of people but I just accepted that it was what I needed to do for my needs but that is just me

Cost. A fraction when compared to a full Canon or Nikon setup (I have both by the way)
I have seen cost being mentioned and I understand it if a user has no use for long telephoto reach.

Looks. Plain and boring aren't words I've ever heard anyone use when describing the X Pro 1, XT1 or X100 range. You own a Canon you say?
It makes more sense now I know that they are a mirrorless system but that is just my opinion, as I said I wouldn't knock anyone for their choice.

. Image quality. The die hard Nikon fan you mentioned. Have you seen a reduction in image quality since he switched? Could you tell the difference between his Nikon and Fuji shots?

I haven't seen any of his photos taken with the Fuji but as I know he takes very good photos I would expect the quality still to be good but I have not questioned the IQ of the Fuji.

Fun. I'm a photographer because I like taking pictures. I have much much more fun shooting with an XT1 or X100T when compared to my Nikon, or previously Canon, kit.
That's fair enough but ruling out all of the above, why do you find it more fun?
I'm just interested seeing that quite a few people have or are in the process of switching from a DSLR to a mirrorless system.

Last edited:
Their just nice cameras,easy to use great j-pegs plus an lens range that suit me fine :)
Have you switched from a DSLR to the Fuji X system?

Not a lot really, IQ and high ISO performance is very similar to the high end Canon and Nikon ranges, Fuji's are just smaller, lighter and sexier :naughty:
Oh I see, you are one of the younger generation who refers technology as 'sexy'? :D

I did wonder as the bodies looked to small to be a DSLR but I have not read anything about the specs.

I have seen cost being mentioned and I understand it if a user has no use for long telephoto reach.

It makes more sense now I know that they are a mirrorless system but that is just my opinion, as I said I wouldn't knock anyone for their choice.

I haven't seen any of his photos taken with the Fuji but as I know he takes very good photos I would expect the quality still to be good but I have not questioned the IQ of the Fuji.

That's fair enough but ruling out all of the above, why do you find it more fun?
I'm just interested seeing that quite a few people have or are in the process of switching from a DSLR to a mirrorless system.

Two very good questions.

On the fun side, I can throw an XT1 or X100T in a bag and go. Not worrying about size or weight. That means I take it with me more than I would a DSLR and shoot more. Then there's the external dials which appeal to me and the "Q" for quick button is excellent for quickly navigating the internal settings. Overall, it's just more fun, but I'm an old romantic and love retro styling. There, I said it ;)

The second point is more difficult for me to answer but I think Fuji (and others) are challenging the perception that you need a DSLR if you want to be a professional (or create professional looking photos). Full frame DSLR's now aren't just for the working professional. You go to a church on a saturday morning and you'll see uncle bobs with 5D Mkiii's as standard. The gap between mirrorless and DSLR's is tiny these days, especially when they're attached to quality lenses; some of Fujis are stunning IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I would say there are still things that set a DSLR apart. Dual card slots for security and peace of mind, focusing ability in low light, generally faster fps, choice of lenses to suit the job etc etc.

Like you say, really depends what you shoot and what's important to you.

Last edited:
Two very good questions.

On the fun side, I can throw an XT1 or X100T in a bag and go. Not worrying about size or weight. That means I take it with me more than I would a DSLR and shoot more. Then there's the external dials which appeal to me and the "Q" for quick button is excellent for quickly navigating the internal settings. Overall, it's just more fun, but I'm an old romantic and love retro styling. There, I said it ;)

Ah yes, the retro look, I knew there was something I failed to notice about them and I totally understand that a lot of people are into retro.

The second point is more difficult for me to answer but I think Fuji (and others) are challenging the perception that you need a DSLR if you want to be a professional (or create professional looking photos). Full frame DSLR's now aren't just for the working professional. You go to a church on a saturday morning and you'll see uncle bobs with 5D Mkiii's as standard. The gap between mirrorless and DSLR's is tiny these days, especially when they're attached to quality lenses; some of Fujis are stunning IMO
Now the idea of challenging the perception is very interesting but based on prices, are these type of mirrorless systems appealing to a wide range of pro toggers who are switching from full frame DSLR's?
Yeah but the question begs, are these uncle Bobs actually taking good photos?
I still think that full frame bodies are expensive and there is a limit to how much cash I will throw at a hobby hence a cropped body is perfect for my needs.

Like you say, really depends what you shoot and what's important to you.
Exactly, I am just interested in those who have switched from a DSLR to a mirrorless system such as the Fuji X.
I would also be interesting to know if people are moving up from a compact system to a mirrorless rather than a DSLR.

I find the Canon EOS M series interesting and I have seen some stunning photos (especially landscapes) posted on here but at it's present state, it is not enough for me to change systems.
I'd like to see more photos taken with the Fuji X system posted on here (I probably have without realising it though)
I expect as technology improves, longer reach telephoto lenses will be available for the mirrorless systems and I will be keeping an eye on this.

Last edited:
Oh I see, you are one of the younger generation who refers technology as 'sexy'? :D

Yep I'm 59 in just over a week and I see a lot of tech as being "sexy" you just have to get your head around the idea that we youngsters don't use the word literally :D

Yep I'm 59 in just over a week and I see a lot of tech as being "sexy" you just have to get your head around the idea that we youngsters don't use the word literally :D
LOL!:D
You caught me out a treat (y)

Yes i just couldn't carry around an DSLR kit anymore :)
That's fair enough and it totally makes sense and it does seem that the form factor is a priority in some cases.

Try one and find out, the worst that could happen is that you might like them.. .. ;)

(a Canon-to-Fuji convert)

Try one and find out, the worst that could happen is that you might like them.. .. ;)

(a Canon-to-Fuji convert)
When they release a 100-400 or perhaps a 150-600 lens, perhaps I will :p

Daz - ask them to show you a picture of a bird in flight ;)
Hmmm, that could be classed as trolling but I know you meant it in a light hearted banter way :)

When they release a 100-400 or perhaps a 150-600 lens, perhaps I will :p
If they shoot fast-moving wildlife at long range then it's probably not a system for you anyway.

Every system has their strengths and weaknesses.

Hmmm, that could be classed as trolling but I know you meant it in a light hearted banter way :)

Yes - just a small amount of banter :)

If you shoot wildlife then My opinion (after owning 3 mirrorless systems) is that you are better with a DSLR that better suits faster moving subjects.

If you are not that bothered about wildlife then they should be fine.

I will also say that NO mirrorless camera I have owned has competed with the dynamic range and high ISO capability of my D810. But I have not owned a Fuji.

Dave.

I will also say that NO mirrorless camera I have owned has competed with the dynamic range and high ISO capability of my D810. But I have not owned a Fuji.
For that matter none of the Fuji bodies come close to the cost of a D810.. .. ;)

I think I know the answer. All the Leica wannabes couldn't afford their ultimate dream camera, so when fuji outed something that looks almost as outdated and is as slow to work with and records reasonable image data they all went for it and forgot about the Leica. Honestly, I haven't heard anyone say "Leica" or "red dot" for almost 3 years now, until then it was a constant craving and winging noise up here.

Reactions: ST4
I think I know the answer. All the Leica wannabes couldn't afford their ultimate dream camera, so when fuji outed something that looks almost as outdated and is as slow to work with and records reasonable image data they all went for it and forgot about the Leica. Honestly, I haven't heard anyone say "Leica" or "red dot" for almost 3 years now, until then it was a constant craving and winging noise up here.
Nope, the Leica wannabies all bought Panasonic and got the red dot. The Hasselblad wannabies all bought Sony and glued wooden grips to their bodies.

Fuji buyers are all far more discerning, they hanker after Minolta or Contax.. :D

If they shoot fast-moving wildlife at long range then it's probably not a system for you anyway.

Every system has their strengths and weaknesses.

Not at present no but who knows what the future will bring.

Fuji are not the only makers of mirrorless system cameras, nevertheless they have some unique features that have caught the imagination of many photographers looking for a particular set of features.
Factors that are especially important seem to be...

Traditional small form design
high qualital metal fabrication
superb optical quality
unfiltered sensors with unique cell pattern capable of the highest quality output
A full set of direct access controls
relative light overall weight
exceptional viewfinders

Though planned the lens range does not yet include very long focal lengths. Nor do the focus systems quite reach the speed levels achieved by the high end professional Dslr's. But the are certainly on a par with the better models aimed at amateurs in this respect.

they are certainly not yet, the first choice for the more expert wild life and sports fraternity.

Fuji seems to excell in street photography and the other areas that do not insist on the longest lenses nor the fastest action,
though there is nothing inherent in their design that will stop them entering those arenas in the future.

Last edited:
I know it's a case of 'each to their own' and I certainly would not knock anyone for their prefered choice but I just can't see any reason for switching from either Canon or Nikon to Fuji?

I don't own Fuji (I have Panasonic and Sony) but the following matter to me and lead me to ditch Canon FF and are perhaps applicable to most if not all mirrorless systems, the Canon M has arguably relatively slow performance and is limited in lenses. Anyway, apart from the Canon M...

- Small form bodies and good compact lenses which don't seem to attract the attention a DSLR can when in public.
- Great for manual focus.
- What you see through the VF is what you get, great aids such as an in view histogram.
- No MA or back/front focus hassles to contend with.
- High focus accuracy, arguably better than a DSLR as the focus is taken off the sensor and not off something buried in the depths of the camera.
- No garbage in the VF and better sensor anti contamination measures than some DSLR's.

I just can't imagine going back to a conventional DSLR.

Lets not get into a DSLR vs mirrorless debate is it is pointless when it comes to capabilities or lack of.
A tablet device is more than capable for browsing the net or the games released for it but it is no replacement for a desktop / laptop or a games console.
It's obvious that weight is an important choice as to why some have switched to switch to Fuji and I think everyone would agree that due to the restriction in telephoto lenses, it'a not ideal for wildlife or aviation photography.
However, what about things like low light capabilities / ISO range and this is aimed at those who have also used a DSLR previously, I've noticed that there are a few f2.8 lenses available for the Fuji X system.
How about seeing some photos posted here?

Lets not get into a DSLR vs mirrorless debate is it is pointless when it comes to capabilities or lack of.

Isn't that what you asked for?

However, what about things like low light capabilities / ISO range and this is aimed at those who have also used a DSLR previously, I've noticed that there are a few f2.8 lenses available for the Fuji X system. How about seeing some photos posted here?

I suppose a lot hangs on...
- how high an ISO do you want to use?
- how do you view images? Print and if so how big? On screen?

Even my GX7 will take pretty good pictures at ISO 25,600. Maybe not 6ft wide exhibition quality but pretty good for on screen and quite large prints. My A7 does even better.

Last edited:
Fuji are not the only makers of mirrorless system cameras, nevertheless they have some unique features that have caught the imagination of many photographers looking for a particular set of features.

I know that other companies are producing mirrorless camera systems but I get the feeling that perhaps Fuji are leading the way when it comes to popularity although I know that the Canon EOS M is also very popular.

I don't own Fuji (I have Panasonic and Sony) but the following matter to me and lead me to ditch Canon FF and are perhaps applicable to most if not all mirrorless systems, the Canon M has arguably relatively slow performance and is limited in lenses. Anyway, apart from the Canon M...

- Small form bodies and good compact lenses which don't seem to attract the attention a DSLR can when in public.
- Great for manual focus.
- What you see through the VF is what you get, great aids such as an in view histogram.
- No MA or back/front focus hassles to contend with.
- High focus accuracy, arguably better than a DSLR as the focus is taken off the sensor and not off something buried in the depths of the camera.
- No garbage in the VF and better sensor anti contamination measures than some DSLR's.

I just can't imagine going back to a conventional DSLR.

Really good post and lots of interesting points, did you move from a cropped or full frame DSLR?

For me personally I find the Fuji JPEGS to be a joy to work with, in so much as I do very, very little with them (I hate editing at the best of times). Shooting with a DSLR (had a D750 until recently) I felt I had to shoot RAW, but with the X-T1 it's JPEG all the way. It's quite liberating in a way, I like knowing I have to get it pretty much spot on 'in-camera', it's very easy to be lazy with a DSLR shooting RAW with obscene dynamic range.

That and the lens line-up is exceptional, not a bad egg in the set...it's also rather nice not having to worry about micro adjustments etc, they just work out of the box.

So a combination of factors really. Fuji X is the only APS-C range where I don't miss Full Frame, the photos just have that certain something, particularly from the 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2. It takes something special to replace the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART but the little Fuji 23 did it.

Last edited:
The Canon M is an interesting example, why Canon has never marketed it to the North American market remains a mystery. It's almost as if they don't believe in the system and are only going along with developing it out of a sense of appearance.

Isn't that what you asked for?

Not really, not with respect to capabilities as such, your other post covered more of the reasons I was looking at, like UaeExile you have both mentioned lots of valid reasons without technical comparisons.

For me personally I find the Fuji JPEGS to be a joy to work with, in so much as I do very, very little with them (I hate editing at the best of times)
That is very interesting as I also hate editing but I have never felt good enough to shoot in JPEG only, does the Fuji also support RAW?

it's also rather nice not having to worry about micro adjustments etc, they just work out of the box.
Again that is a very interesting point and it's one that never occurred to me when I was thinking about starting this thread.

Back