So what's new with cameras? Looking for a small interchangable lens camera!

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

I've been away from any kind of photography (other than a few snaps on my phone) for a number of years now and obviously technology hasn't stood around waiting for me.

So what's new? I'm looking for a small, ideally interchangable lens, camera as my daily shooter for when my D800E (yeah, it's been that long - although it's still a great camera and have no desire to upgrade!) is too much to carry around and when my phone isn't quite enough.

Indifferent of brand, I've traditionally been shooting with Nikon but I'm certainly not tied to them for this daily shooter. And maybe it doesn't need to be interchangeable lens? I just like the flexibility of one. Size is important - something I can sling in my bag and have with me all the time.

I've seen these Sony ZV-E10 "vlogging" cameras which I have absolutely no idea what those are (what makes a camera specific to vlogging?) but the specs seem to tick the box. And the Sony A7 also looks like it could be a winner as it's pretty small for a full frame.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

cheers!

Actually on second thoughts, the A7 while small, is more than I want to spend on a second camera. I wonder if just a compact/all in one might be more suitable, something like the Fuji X100 or whatever is current in that style camera.

What is your budget?
I moved from my Nikon kit (D850/D500) after covid and settled on Olympus - E-M5 Mk3 in my case and several Olympus/Panasonic lenses.
Great kit for me, all source used but mint.

I have a Sony A6000 as my 'travel' camera - the 16-50 kit lens shrinks down when powered off, making it small enough to fit in a decent size coat pocket if needed.

I carry my A6000 kit in a small lowepro shoulder bag, 10" x 8" x 5", which has the A6000 & 16-50 kit, 55-210 kit, 50 f/1.8 OSS, 35 f/1.8 OSS and Neewer NW320 flash, plus a couple of spare batteries, SD cards, lens cloth, etc.
A lot of options in a fairly compact setup.

Something like a Fuji X-E4? Can be bought brand new with a weather resistant 27mm f/2.8 pancake lens for £949. Nice and small but a great sensor, great lens and there are plenty of other small lenses you could pair it with in the Fuji system.

Alternatively if interchangeable lenses aren't important, the Fuji X100 series cameras are loved by pretty much everyone

Last edited:
The obvious thing other than cost is the Sony A7c. In your situation I might look at an older A7, or M43 to save weight and size.

What is your budget?
I moved from my Nikon kit (D850/D500) after covid and settled on Olympus - E-M5 Mk3 in my case and several Olympus/Panasonic lenses.
Great kit for me, all source used but mint.

Probably looking about a grand max including a lens. I'll look up the E-M5!

I haven't checked the price but I used to have a Canon EOS-M which are really small - I found it too small for my uses with big Canon ED lenses via an adapter but the image quality was stellar!

I strongly recommend you check it out - Smaller than Olympus (which I now shoot with).

Probably looking about a grand max including a lens. I'll look up the E-M5!

You can get a used A7, the original one, and a lens for under £1,000. The camera regularly crops up between £400-£500 and you can get a 35mm f1.8 for £400/£450 and maybe add a 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 for £120.

I’d get on the fujifilm bandwagon. You specified interchangeable lens so the x100 series is out. XE series is good if you’re happy with the rangefinder style. I have an XT3, which is amazing. Not the smallest but tiny compared to D800. Plus much smaller lenses.

M4/3 is the perfect compromise between size and IQ for me, I’ve had Olympus for a long time as my smaller and lighter alternative to full frame.

I’ve done the whole Fuji thing, wasn’t for me. YMMV.

If you can live with the fixed 35mm field of view, the Fuji X100v is a great everyday camera.

Staithes by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Snap :D

eY1bAJK.jpg

The smallest interchangeable lens digital camera that I've used is the Panasonic GM5. I have two and wouldn't part with them. The only problem is that they're no longer available new and they seem to have held their price remarkably well. However, that suggests how much people like them...

Cameras Panasonic GM5 and Canon 1DsII HX90 DSC00568.jpg

One of my GM5s on the left and a (substantial) dSLR on the right. :naughty:

Last edited:
The smallest interchangeable lens digital camera that I've used is the Panasonic GM5. I have two and wouldn't part with them. The only problem is that they're no longer available new and they seem to have held their price remarkably well. However, that suggests how much people like them.

I'm a fan of the GM5 too and I do wish they'd make a new one. Another I like but can not love because of the controls is the Panasonic G100 which is small and light and has a lovely EVF and a good VF of some sort is something that smaller cameras often lack. Another thing these smaller camera offer is a relatively quiet mechanical shutter.

Did you even go to Staithes if you didn't take that photo?

Me no understandie the question.

I've been to Staithes a few times as it's within easy driving distance of home but I can't say I've ever been happy with the lighting. The above picture was taken while it was spotting on and the light was a bit flat. Taken with an original Sony A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 which as I posted above are within the OP's budget.

I don't do many panoramas but I do like this one which is a 28 picture stitch and a 297mb TIFF, 61mb jpg. Taken on the same day with the same in budget kit. I kind of wished I'd included more to the left but I didn't think it was very photogenic so I didn't.

FM4ZZVL.jpg

Good luck choosing Alistair.

Last edited:
My friends have got a holiday house there, on the other side of the Cod and Lobster from where you took that photo.

My friends have got a holiday house there, on the other side of the Cod and Lobster from where you took that photo.

We saw a few houses for rent or sale but on the whole I think it's a place I like to visit rather than live but some will just love it.

Back