So who is queueing up for a new iMac with 5K display then?

Seriously looking at it. Possibly upgrading from my late 2009 iMac. the Retina option is only £250 extra ( if you take into account the extra you'd need to pay for the Fusion Drive option for the conventional machine) As my iMac works fine and is 5 years old and still worth a bob or two it could be a good investment if you look at a 5 year+ life. Don't really need Thunderbolt 2 but what the hell. Would probably spend the extra and go for the 4GHz model if I'm looking at 5+ years. Memory option is a bit of dilemma as the Crucial memory is not the fast 1600 that Apple fit. OWC in the states are doing suitable memory upgrades but it works out more expensive.

Hope to get to Appl;e store next week to have a serious look at one. ( Credit card stays at home) . No hurry to purchase but may make a decision by Christmas ( Dear Santa.....)

5k might seem a lot but is actually less than 15 mega pixels, so still lower res than most current DSLRs. I remember when the first digital cameras came out they were not much different from typical screen resolutions, but screen resolutions have seemed to lag behind camera resolutions by a long margin until now.

I just can't be bothered with desktops anymore. Otherwise I would.

It would be nice to have one but I seriously can't see the point - my current late 2012 27'' Sits just under 3 foot away from my eyes - my eye sight is bloody good and I can't really see the pixel density anyway so 5K would be completely pointless unless you're right up close. I would love to see windows running on it to see the scaling though!

It would be nice to have one but I seriously can't see the point - my current late 2012 27'' Sits just under 3 foot away from my eyes - my eye sight is bloody good and I can't really see the pixel density anyway so 5K would be completely pointless unless you're right up close. I would love to see windows running on it to see the scaling though!

I'm running 3200 X 1800 on a 15" laptop with W8.1. It scales fine, so 5K at 27" is also likely to be fine.

I'm running 3200 X 1800 on a 15" laptop with W8.1. It scales fine, so 5K at 27" is also likely to be fine.

sadly a 4k res is 3840x2160 so higher than the figures you quoted for your screen so you would not be able to show a true 4k image. sorry spend all day plugging 4k for a very large tv manufacturer

How do you sell 4K in a TV when virtually no one has anything to play on them to do justice to the format and its qualities

just wondering, thats all

I guess the same way he sold HD TVs before anybody broadcast HD. Netflix are already streaming some 4K stuff. Others will catch up eventually.

How do you sell 4K in a TV when virtually no one has anything to play on them to do justice to the format and its qualities

just wondering, thats all

Obviously never heard of youtube then?

It's going to take time for people to upgrade TV's to UHD from HD. It was the same we we moved to HD from SD. So in a few years time UHD will be the norm. It also give manufacturers something to encourage consumers to purchase the latest equipment. ( I hear that the Japanese are looking at 8K for the next generation.. Good luck guys). However if you are producing TV programs that are going to be around for years you are probably going to produce them in UHD so they will still be current 10-15 years in the future. Hence the need for 4K now even though there is not much currently available.

Sport is probably the driver for UHD. Not only is it a resolution improvement, but more crucially it will be an increase to 50p (over 50i) which means action will be smoother.

It will be appearing soon to a box near you once the decoder chips are out there... and they are coming soon ;) See: http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s870600.

Sky uses Cisco security for content encryption.....

I picked one up last week to replace by Late 2009 27" iMac - I'd been wanting to replace since the summer, but held off knowing there would be some announcement in October. I'd hope to get another 5+ years out of this desktop so wanted the 'latest' to give me the best chance.

Like my last one, it's the base model, I'll pop some extra memory in at some point, but at the moment it's so much quicker than my old iMac, I'm not that bothered.

I didn't really get it for the screen, but for the few extra pounds (£240), I think it's worth it when you consider the cost of external hi-res panels.

Really pleased so far.

The screen is less prone to glare than my old iMac, but it is still glossy. I've not run it through the calibrator yet, just not got around to it, but the colours look as close as my eye can detect to the calibrated iMac screen sitting next to it, but I've not had time to put it through its paces just yet on the photography side! It is beautiful for working on text documents though - spend all week on spreadsheets as we're closing budgets at the moment and it is a real pleasure to look at even if the numbers themselves give me nightmares!

One thing I have noted is an annoying bug in Lightroom in that it doesn't show the adjustment brush on the retina display - a quick Google would seem to indicate this is a known issue, so a fix should be incoming.

Last edited:
I picked one up last week to replace by Late 2009 27" iMac - I'd been wanting to replace since the summer, but held off knowing there would be some announcement in October. I'd hope to get another 5+ years out of this desktop so wanted the 'latest' to give me the best chance.

Like my last one, it's the base model, I'll pop some extra memory in at some point, but at the moment it's so much quicker than my old iMac, I'm not that bothered.

I didn't really get it for the screen, but for the few extra pounds (£240), I think it's worth it when you consider the cost of external hi-res panels.

Really pleased so far.

The screen is less prone to glare than my old iMac, but it is still glossy. I've not run it through the calibrator yet, just not got around to it, but the colours look as close as my eye can detect to the calibrated iMac screen sitting next to it, but I've not had time to put it through its paces just yet on the photography side! It is beautiful for working on text documents though - spend all week on spreadsheets as we're closing budgets at the moment and it is a real pleasure to look at even if the numbers themselves give me nightmares!

One thing I have noted is an annoying bug in Lightroom in that it doesn't show the adjustment brush on the retina display - a quick Google would seem to indicate this is a known issue, so a fix should be incoming.
Sounds great does your Map module work ok I ask as it seams fair few don't have this working including the 5K display by the way bugs in LR 5.6 don't look too promising for a fix until LR6 as the the development team are disbanded

Enjoy your spreadsheets :(

Sounds great does your Map module work ok I ask as it seams fair few don't have this working including the 5K display by the way bugs in LR 5.6 don't look too promising for a fix until LR6 as the the development team are disbanded

Enjoy your spreadsheets :(
Maps working fine - just a shame the adjustment brush doesn't!
I hope there's a fix coming - don't fancy waiting for a major release :-(

I'm waiting for my 5k iMac to arrive. And whilst I'm not suggesting breaking my ankle in 3 places on Tuesday was a good thing, it looks as if I'll have no work getting in the way of me playing with my new toy for a few weeks.

I'm just considering my options and buying my first iMac around Xmas time.

The 5K is probably out of my budget but what has put me off most is discussions on the mac rumours forum regarding lag when using lightroom and Photoshop, especially lightroom in the library and develop modules due to creating full resolution images even in the film roll view etc.

Now I'm wondering whether my more realistic choice of the 8GB i5 3.2Ghz 27" will have similar problems, surely not as that's what these machines are built for?!

Thread here (and others on the forum)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1818499

Anyone out my mind at ease before k spend a lot of money on my first Apple machine.

Cheers

Now I'm wondering whether my more realistic choice of the 8GB i5 3.2Ghz 27" will have similar problems, surely not as that's what these machines are built for?!

The i5 quad core is probably OK, but this is NOT what these machines are built for - they are media consumption devices. Basically mid-performance laptop innards behind a pretty screen.

Save your money and get the standard 27, I have the i7 sandybridge version and it still packs a punch, you would have enough change left over to buy a 4k screen to use externally if you really want to use every pixel.
I seriously can't see the use for 5k when doing Lightroom edits, having a higher pixel density is not going to make any difference to noticing a dust spot on the sensor.
I added 32gb's of Ram and upgraded the drive to two SSD's plus I upgraded the cpu from the i5 for cheap on Amazon, the good thing with Apple is they use the same internal components - the logic board is generic and supports latter CPUs as well as the gpu connection being mmx meaning you can source parts online for cheap. Yes it will void your warranty but only if you are caught.....

Save your money and get the standard 27, I have the i7 sandybridge version and it still packs a punch, you would have enough change left over to buy a 4k screen to use externally if you really want to use every pixel.
I seriously can't see the use for 5k when doing Lightroom edits, having a higher pixel density is not going to make any difference to noticing a dust spot on the sensor.
I added 32gb's of Ram and upgraded the drive to two SSD's plus I upgraded the cpu from the i5 for cheap on Amazon, the good thing with Apple is they use the same internal components - the logic board is generic and supports latter CPUs as well as the gpu connection being mmx meaning you can source parts online for cheap. Yes it will void your warranty but only if you are caught.....

Yeah don't think I'll be getting the 5K, but was wondering whether the standard would be enough for lightroom and Photoshop use for weddings etc.

My other option is a top spec Mac mini rigged up to my current monitor, the only advantage there if the fusion drive.

Decisions decisions

Mac mini will be more than capable, I have no Lightroom lag when doing work, if you do then bump the ram up or change the software, I do like Lightroom but I'm just finding that it's long winded for what I want. Capture one etc runs quicker and has all the same features all bar a few. I'm not into batch processing etc, each photo is worked on its own merit, I'm here to make money, not be a lazy sod using a generic setup - venture photography can do that!
I would seriously go and have a look in the Apple Store, or go down the hackintosh route ;)
I enjoy what I do, it may be slower but it works and the clients can't thank me enough :)

Mac mini will be more than capable, I have no Lightroom lag when doing work, if you do then bump the ram up or change the software, I do like Lightroom but I'm just finding that it's long winded for what I want. Capture one etc runs quicker and has all the same features all bar a few. I'm not into batch processing etc, each photo is worked on its own merit, I'm here to make money, not be a lazy sod using a generic setup - venture photography can do that!
I would seriously go and have a look in the Apple Store, or go down the hackintosh route ;)
I enjoy what I do, it may be slower but it works and the clients can't thank me enough :)

I'm actually very similar, unless it's a few similar shots from a controlled shoot in a studio setup then each photo gets it own attention too.

When you said earlier to buy the standard version and have enough spare to buy a 4k screen did you not mean 5k as doesnt the standard 27" have a 4k screen anyway?

Not quite, it's 2560x1440, at a viewing distance of 16 inches it's hard to distinguish the pixels for most which is why 5k is overkill! I have a 1080p screen set in portrait for comparing my website layout while I do the photo editing to make things easier, again it's only 1080p but how many of joe blogs are there running high pixel setups anyway?
As long as the monitor is Calibrated and has a rich gamut then I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t!!

Not quite, it's 2560x1440, at a viewing distance of 16 inches it's hard to distinguish the pixels for most which is why 5k is overkill! I have a 1080p screen set in portrait for comparing my website layout while I do the photo editing to make things easier, again it's only 1080p but how many of joe blogs are there running high pixel setups anyway?
As long as the monitor is Calibrated and has a rich gamut then I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t!!

I have a monitor currently which I'm more than happy with so a Mac mini will do everything an iMac would just without the aesthetically pleasing iMac sat on my desk.

For £1119 I can't get an i7, 1TB fusion drive, 16GB Mac mini to plug into my current calibrated monitor.

That's where I think my money may go now. And saves me £250 too

I saw one today in store. The sharpness and overall look is amazing, just really shame about the small colour space considering it's a purchase for the next 4-5 years... I can't buy it at this price, end of. On the other hand there is little that can match it for those that do not understand or need to go beyond sRGB boundaries (the 4K standard is very different).

Let's face it, 5k on a screen that size and you will be using the pixels for anti-aliasing. And pub points.

I have 3 (wide gamut ;)) monitors, for a total desktop area of 7040 x 1440 (the last 1920 is only 1200!). End to end, it's a wall of monitors about 6ft long. I wouldn't like 5k of resolution on a single 27" monitor and trying to display at 1:1. The 27" 2560 x 1440 is as small as I'd want to go for 1:1 pixels.

Back