So - who's planning to buy some 'new' Ektachrome when it arrives?

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
And I'm posting this here rather than in the filmies' forum, because there may be those who never look in there ...

Yes, Ektachrome existed as a Kodak brand name before, and had several variants over time, but I'm not clear what relationship the new film has to any of the old stock - I assume that the chemistry is similar, though it is to be made on different production lines on a smaller scale to suit modern demand, hence the current trials. Nor do I know what iso rating(s) the new stock will be. I'd guess that 100 is likely?

What's pretty certain is that it will behave as slide films always did, in that it will have a small exposure latitude. Slide films are a good training ground for judging light and setting exposure because of their lack of leeway - you HAVE to get it right in camera, or you're f00ked. And this might work against any new-age experimenteers (sic) who've romanticised about having a go with it and who've never used slide film before - it'll call you to book.

But there IS romance in film. Its roots stretch way back into the history of photography. And despite some impracticalities it has a certain texture that digital can never properly fake (though that texture varies according to the size of the film original).

Here's to diversity ... a celebration.

I used to use 200 as it could take 2 or 3 stops under exposure and boil in the soup as required, much better than the 400 rated at the same the same iso. Be interesting to see what the new stuff is like and get my projector out of the loft again for weekend slide shows :)
I used to home develop too.
Thank for posting.
Matt

I used the elitechrome flavour quite a bit so I could be tempted.

I'm planning to try some once it's launched as I used to shoot Ektachrome E6 quite a bit, usually in 120 roll film format with vintage (junk shop) cameras. I found the exposure latitude was a bit more forgiving than Kodachrome, which had to be pretty much spot on; so if the modern version follows suit then I don't think people need to be too frightened of it as long as their camera's light meter (or their smartphone app light meter) is reasonably accurate.

After all, if I could produce something like this at the age of 15 using a 1920s Kodak Brownie Box camera and the 'Sunny 16' guesstimation rule, then I'm sure most people using 35mm SLRs from the 80s and 90s will cope OK with it, as long as they know what they're doing.

img297a by J White, on Flickr

Last edited:
I used to use 200
Me too, latterly, but in my case because it allowed a bit more possibilty to expose at box speed in British daylight. But I began with Ektachrome 64, long ago.

Mr Badger - you're a genius. Or did you just get lucky?

Snip:
Mr Badger - you're a genius. Or did you just get lucky?

I don't know, with only 8 shots a roll and £5 a week 'Saturday job' money to play with I was never going to be destined to find out for sure which of the two it was! :LOL:

Last edited:
Snip:

I don't know, with only 8 shots a roll and £5 a week 'Saturday job' money to play with I was never going to be destined to find out for sure which of the two it was! :LOL:
Yeah - I'll go with that!

I can remember when High Speed Ektachrome came out in the late 1950's 180ASA (or ISO) as I recall, it's latitude was better and I thought it was wonderful stuff. I still have some slides somewhere!

In its heyday it was available in 64, 100 and 200 varieties.

I loved Its EliteChrome variant and was disappointed when they discontinued it, I will certainly be buying a roll or 2 when it hits the shelves.

I have used Ektachrome in the past with some success, but no plans to try the new variant. Good to know it will be produced however.

I still have some Elitechrome in the fridge I need to use up.... I also had vouchers for free development from Karstadt in Germany (5 rolls plus development for €20 - those were the days) but given that their electronics department has all but disappeared it will be difficult to honour that.

Elitechrome (or Ektachrome Elite in its earlier incarnation) was always one of my favourites... If they can reproduce it in the new guise then I would be tempted. I liked Ektachrome in its various guises apart from the ASA 200 version - I could never get on with any of the 200 speed slide films - the 400s were much better.

My dad liked it and I still have his old Leica - maybe I should give it a go?

I can remember when High Speed Ektachrome came out in the late 1950's 180ASA (or ISO) as I recall,
You are very close - it was 160.
My dad liked it and I still have his old Leica - maybe I should give it a go?
I certainly would if I had that opportunity. But note the strictures about accurate exposure. Neg film, whether colour or mono, would be a kinder intro!

Last edited:
I remember using Ektachrome, but it must have been + 30 years ago. Doubt if I'll try the new version though, my film photography is pretty much restricted to the odd roll of B & W to keep the F2 and FM happy...

I just think its excellent that somebody is actually bringing a slide film back rather than cutting it from their line-up.
I mean, everyone has been cutting lines from c41, b/w neg and slide for years but slide has suffered the most, there are only 3 or 4 E6 films left still in production and they don't cover all formats.
Every year Fuji drop my favourite slide, the last one was Velvia 100F, there are so few now I don't have a favourite anymore I'm just running on discontinued stock, it will be nice to be able to choose between a 120 format slide that is kind to skin tones and one more suited to landscape, at the moment, apart from a few obscure cine films, there is only Velvia.

Anyway, that's 120, I probably won't shoot Ektachrome till its available in 120, doubtless AGFA Precisa will be cheaper initially than Ektachrome, I guess they are competing for the same market, but I suppose if sales are strong they both might up their game to 120.

Probably not as I've still got plenty of film stored in the freezer, haven't used a roll in quite a few years, there all out dated, but many years ago I bought a job lot of kodachrome, no idea of how it had been stored, I popped in the freezer and was 15 years out of date when I got round to using it and they turned out just fine,
IMG_20180107_135522_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
You are very close - it was 160.
I certainly would if I had that opportunity. But note the strictures about accurate exposure. Neg film, whether colour or mono, would be a kinder intro!

Good point!
In the past I have used Kodachrome 64 in my EOS3 and 33V and both cameras gave exposures that were spot on + lovely images! However my Leica iiiG has no metering - sounds like I need to bring one of them along as my light meter died - it was about 50 years old though so I can't complain!

If correct it would appear to be about the same price as Agfa Precisa then. :)

I'm certainly going to buy some. I've got some lovely Olympus cameras, the favourite is my OM 3. No batteries required! Paired with my Gossen Profisix I'm in photographic heaven . Not been on line in ages, it's nice to be back. Cichlid aka Peter.

Good point!
In the past I have used Kodachrome 64 in my EOS3 and 33V and both cameras gave exposures that were spot on + lovely images! However my Leica iiiG has no metering - sounds like I need to bring one of them along as my light meter died - it was about 50 years old though so I can't complain!

As a kid, I tended to use Kodachrome 64 most of the time with a Praktica MTL3 and later Minolta 7000 - certainly was one way of ensuring you learnt about getting the exposure right.

These are a couple of images from original slides taken when I was about 16 (over 30 years ago), then copied recently with a slide duplicator on digital SLR.

Think I might look out for a (Canon) film body. Any recommendations?

Buoys by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Sign by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Boat by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Think I might look out for a (Canon) film body. Any recommendations?
If you already have some Canon EF lenses then an EOS SLR would probably make more sense than a manual focus FD set-up? If so, perhaps have a look at some reviews of the Canon EOS 30. It's got a 35 zone evaluative metering system and 7 point eye controlled focus, it's smallish, light, quiet (for a motorised SLR) and it should work on all Canon EF (not EFS) lenses including those with IS.

Expect to pay around £60 from a reputable dealer for one in almost mint condition with a few months warranty. The EOS 30 was one of the last Canon film SLRs to be made, so there seem to be quite a few lightly used ones about, presumably because their owners switched to digital soon after buying them and the 30 then spent the rest of its life sitting on a shelf in the wardrobe! The 30v was a slightly upgraded and later version (the last 35mm SLR Canon launched) but it tends to sell for more money and is harder to find.

The EOS-3 was the equivalent of the 5D iv in Canon's range at the time, it's bigger and heavier than the EOS 30, but has a 45 point eye controlled focus system and more features than you'll probably ever use! However, they sell for a lot more than the EOS 30, with anything near mint-ish condition going for around £200+ these days. Probably best to try an EOS 30 (if you think it will suit your requirements) and see how you go from there? Hope these suggestions are useful, let us know how you go on. (y)

Last edited:
If you already have some Canon EF lenses then an EOS SLR would probably make more sense than a manual focus FD set-up? If so, perhaps have a look at some reviews of the Canon EOS 30. It's got a 35 zone evaluative metering system and 7 point eye controlled focus, it's smallish, light, quiet (for a motorised SLR) and it should work on all Canon EF (not EFS) lenses including those with IS.

Expect to pay around £60 from a reputable dealer for one in almost mint condition with a few months warranty. The EOS 30 was one of the last Canon film SLRs to be made, so there seem to be quite a few lightly used ones about, presumably because their owners switched to digital soon after buying them and the 30 then spent the rest of its life sitting on a shelf in the wardrobe! The 30v was a slightly upgraded and later version (the last 35mm SLR Canon launched) but it tends to sell for more money and is harder to find.

The EOS-3 was the equivalent of the 5D iv in Canon's range at the time, it's bigger and heavier than the EOS 30, but has a 45 point eye controlled focus system and more features than you'll probably ever use! However, they sell for a lot more than the EOS 30, with anything near mint-ish condition going for around £200+ these days. Probably best to try an EOS 30 (if you think it will suit your requirements) and see how you go from there? Hope these suggestions are useful, let us know how you go on. (y)

Thanks for the advice - it's very much appreciated.

All my lenses are EF/full frame compatible so EOS body does make sense. I had been looking at the EOS-1V or EOS-3 but as you say, they go for significant money. I wasn't really aware of the EOS-30 but it seems a good bet for having another go with film. After a bit of searching, I've found (and bought - it's too easy online with Paypal etc..) what is apparently an excellent condition EOS-30V Date with 12 month warranty for £60 delivered (from Harrisons Cameras). I won't use the date function, but the "V" upgrade apparently added ETTL flash compatibility, which means I'll be able to use it with the 580EXII flashes. Now, need to order some film! I guess given the thread, that Ektachrome would be appropriate! Either that or some Fuji Velvia 50.

Hopefully this little experiment will go well. Trouble is, while looking at film cameras, I couldn't help also noticing that some of the medium format offerings (that were always way too expensive when I was using film) may well be not too far out of reach - stuff like the Mamiya RB67 and Bronica GS-1. I'll have to be careful or will end up sliding down the slippery slope and shooting 6x7 film as well as 35mm! :)

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful advice.

P.S. sorry for taking the thread a bit off-topic.

@C&C Blimey, that was quick! If the camera is as described and fully working then I don't think you can have gone far wrong at that price, plus you've got 12 months guarantee and presumably the usual 14 days mail order right to return, so all should be good. :) As for film, perhaps have a look on eBay and see how much you can get a single roll of Agfa Vista 400 print film for and maybe put that through the camera to test it? One you know it works OK you can read some of the 'film type' threads in the Film and Conventional section and get some ideas on what films you'd like to try. There's also a thread on here that covers film developing and scanning in the UK, so perhaps have a look at that too?

As for medium format, and other old film cameras, yes it can be a slippery slope into collecting cameras, so do be careful! :whistle: Oh, and then you'll need a film scanner to keep the costs down... and then be tempted by home developing... and so the hobby grows! Never mind, there's usually a thread about it in the F&C section, but remember to take account of the bad as well as the good results/experiences before weighing things up and making your mind up before diving in! Best of luck enjoying film again, and there's plenty of like-minded people on here to share your journey with! (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - it's very much appreciated.

All my lenses are EF/full frame compatible so EOS body does make sense. I had been looking at the EOS-1V or EOS-3 but as you say, they go for significant money. I wasn't really aware of the EOS-30 but it seems a good bet for having another go with film. After a bit of searching, I've found (and bought - it's too easy online with Paypal etc..) what is apparently an excellent condition EOS-30V Date with 12 month warranty for £60 delivered (from Harrisons Cameras). I won't use the date function, but the "V" upgrade apparently added ETTL flash compatibility, which means I'll be able to use it with the 580EXII flashes. Now, need to order some film! I guess given the thread, that Ektachrome would be appropriate! Either that or some Fuji Velvia 50.

Hopefully this little experiment will go well. Trouble is, while looking at film cameras, I couldn't help also noticing that some of the medium format offerings (that were always way too expensive when I was using film) may well be not too far out of reach - stuff like the Mamiya RB67 and Bronica GS-1. I'll have to be careful or will end up sliding down the slippery slope and shooting 6x7 film as well as 35mm! :)

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful advice.

P.S. sorry for taking the thread a bit off-topic.

I have the similar (but not quite as nice) EOS 33V and it is a great camera - you will certainly not be disappointed with your EOS 30V. What is pleasantly surprising is how good these film cameras are with modern lenses - especially the L series.

P.S. Can't help you with a 6x7 but I do know of a decent Mamiya 645 with two lenses that needs a home.

@C&C Blimey, that was quick! If the camera is as described and fully working then I don't think you can have gone far wrong at that price, plus you've got 12 months guarantee and presumably the usual 14 days mail order right to return, so all should be good. :) As for film, perhaps have a look on eBay and see how much you can get a single roll of Agfa Vista 400 print film for and maybe put that through the camera to test it? One you know it works OK you can read some of the 'film type' threads in the Film and Conventional section and get some ideas on what films you'd like to try. There's also a thread on here that covers film developing and scanning in the UK, so perhaps have a look at that too?

As for medium format, and other old film cameras, yes it can be a slippery slope into collecting cameras, so do be careful! :whistle: Oh, and then you'll need a film scanner to keep the costs down... and then be tempted by home developing... and so the hobby grows! Never mind, there's usually a thread about it in the F&C section, but remember to take account of the bad as well as the good results/experiences before weighing things up and making your mind up before diving in! Best of luck enjoying film again, and there's plenty of like-minded people on here to share your journey with! (y)

Good idea on running a print film through first to check the camera is working ok - they seem less expensive than reversal film. After that, I'll definitely look into the different films discussed in the F&C section, although initial thoughts are colour reversal film (like Velvia 50), and some black and white negative film - I remember previously using PanF and FP4 but will see what current thinking is.

I'll definitely need to check out the processing service recommendations.

Not sure about needing a scanner though - I've previously had mixed results with negative scanning (using a Nikon Coolscan with Vuescan software), and I have a decent slide duplicator and now have a good Macro lens to go with it, so think that'll hopefully be ok for getting digital versions of slide film.

Finally, I'm not really interested in home developing - I used to do a fair bit a long time ago (school had a darkroom), and whilst it's interesting - especially the printing aspect with dodging/burning, I don't have lots of time, and no suitable space.

Right - off to the F&C forum to see what's what!

Cheers again for the advice.

I have the similar (but not quite as nice) EOS 33V and it is a great camera - you will certainly not be disappointed with your EOS 30V. What is pleasantly surprising is how good these film cameras are with modern lenses - especially the L series.

P.S. Can't help you with a 6x7 but I do know of a decent Mamiya 645 with two lenses that needs a home.

Thanks - certainly looking forward to the 30V.

Re. the medium format - I'm definitely going to wait for a bit to see how I get on with the 35mm film, but if it goes well, I can definitely see me having a go with larger negs/slides in the future. Also knowing what I'm like, if going for larger format (better quality, but also additional discipline to take care over shots), I probably would go for something like 6x7 over 6x4.5. :)

I never really used Ekta that much back in the day, favouring Kodachrome or Boots 200 for more cheap and cheerful slide (it was rebranded Fuji Sensia and pretty useful).

However, I will be keeping my eyes peeled at my usual suppliers. Nice to have another E6 option back in play.

Last edited:
Back