social History some old pic's

This is an enjoyable thread :)

I did something similar but different a while ago, and called it 'Now and Then', found and scanned some old images from my home town, and tried to take the same image from the same spot/angle.

Amazingly, some things hadn't changed, in the example below, even after a 100 years, the two pubs on the left (Whittakers Arms and the Red Lion) remain as does Teales the Bakers and the Yorkshire Bank (previously Yorkshire Penny Bank) on the right.

It was great fun to do, as well as a challenge.

Picture-Package30a.jpg

nowthen1.jpg

how could they do this .....?
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

it's my FATHER !!!..... in 1907 at 18 months old ....OMG

This is an enjoyable thread :)

I did something similar but different a while ago, and called it 'Now and Then', found and scanned some old images from my home town, and tried to take the same image from the same spot/angle.

Amazingly, some things hadn't changed, in the example below, even after a 100 years, the two pubs on the left (Whittakers Arms and the Red Lion) remain as does Teales the Bakers and the Yorkshire Bank (previously Yorkshire Penny Bank) on the right.

It was great fun to do, as well as a challenge.

Picture-Package30a.jpg

oh my word how fantastic.. looks like 2 worlds but the same place.. thank you.. sorry to say unless i rob some old pic's off the net (no i am not going to) my home town is not going to see me.. but i may see of there any more floating around in the McGrath ranks of up here.. thanks les

nowthen1.jpg

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

i have alot of baby ones too here but not sure who they are and some are very similar to yours. i bet your dad loved that pic growing up.

ok guys? as you know i have my mother in law over tomorrow for lunch. now.. would you like me to get some back ground info and post it or are the pic's enough?

oh my word how fantastic.. looks like 2 worlds but the same place.. thank you.. sorry to say unless i rob some old pic's off the net (no i am not going to) my home town is not going to see me.. but i may see of there any more floating around in the McGrath ranks of up here.. thanks les

It's OK, the images were out of copyright, I checked at my local library before I went ahead.

It's OK, the images were out of copyright, I checked at my local library before I went ahead.

oh my word i didn't mean anything by that plaese forgive me. but now you have given me an idea.. may hav e to pick your brains

They are great Terri and I remember that thread Les it was one of the first threads I posted in and I tried to do something similar myself. I think I will have to go back and try again.

Andy

thanks Andy.. buthave no idea aobut the other thread you are talking about pleae point me int he right place. i am usless

Thanks for that Terri.
I've been a bit busy today, but I've been looking forward to popping back in and seeing what else you'd posted.
The wedding photo (no.2) is really interesting. It's strange to see the bridesmaids in trousers.
I wonder if that was a common thing back then, or if they were breaking with tradition :thinking:

I'd like to see that too.
Have you got a link to the thread ?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure that should be classed as some form of child cruelty !!!!

p.s. I notice that the photographer's address is down in my neck of the woods. Is your family originally from down here?

Last edited:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure that should be classed as some form of child cruelty !!!!

p.s. I notice that the photographer's address is down in my neck of the woods. Is your family originally from down here?

yes - the family originated in Mountain Ash - I was born in Llanharen

when my father retired, they bought a cottage in Talybont-on-Usk near Brecon - a lovely spot !!

Last edited:
Terri they are great. Do you know who everyone is in these photographs?

Les, the threads are a fantastic idea. That is something I might have a think about doing. I think you know my area quite well.
There are lots of pictures of how the place used to be when the iron ore mining was in full swing.

Johnny mother in law know nearly every ones names and what has become of them i'm trying to get her to write it all down

The reason he is doing the scanning ect is they are being kept in a shed in the garden!!!!!
so he is making a dvd for his mum for mothers day. then i am going to keep the pic's here safe well safer.

Hi Terri.
Just interested in what software you / your hubby are using to make the DVD, i used Magix with decent effect, I potted around just after your posts thinking i might do another but with some recent pics to give to some family members.

regards...

My fiances currently doing a very similar thing, and I have the unenviable task of starting it with my family too now, But its a great way to understand how our families lived. My fiance has a pic of her gran and her brother literally a week before he was killed in WW2, its the stories in these photos that get lost more than anything over time.

My fiances currently doing a very similar thing, and I have the unenviable task of starting it with my family too now, But its a great way to understand how our families lived. My fiance has a pic of her gran and her brother literally a week before he was killed in WW2, its the stories in these photos that get lost more than anything over time.

you are very right there we do know a bit about what happened to most of the people on here all 3 sailors were killed during the war. we have the telegrammes and other bits and bobs.

my mother in law as been set as task to write down everything she can. and we have now been given permisson to keep everything here so that is the next job is sorting the things out and finding how to store them correctley.

Back