Softbox v umbrellas help

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I actually prefer soft boxes normally but umbrellas are obviously FAR more mobile and with the Safari lights that becomes a significant issue.

Also as someone who normally uses soft boxes what do I need to consider when I am using umbrellas are there any issues?

I have a gold reflector umbrella which I bought with my Stable Imaging lights but I have NEVER actually used it :)

The shoot through and reflective umbrellas are the same price so it is not an issue of price I am simply deciding what to get.

I currently have or will be getting

2 x safari lights {GOT}
1 x safari ring light
1 x Elitepro 300w (or possibly a 600w)

1 x 95cm octo box (lencarta) {GOT}
1 x 60cmx60cm softbox (cheap one) {GOT}
1 x 40cmx180cm softbox (lencarta) {for full length shots}

Options

Silver/White...... Through/Reflect ???

The kit I am adding includes 2 umbrellas but I could buy another if necessary.... Are 2 enough or do I buy a 3rd? Do I need both types ??

Everyone's suggestions have been very helpful in my buying decisions so far.... :help:

Not sure on his stock levels, but I have some flash in the pan reflective umbrella softboxes, they have worked well on my bowens lights, and they fold like an umbrella for transport.

You could get a rapid folding softbox - pretty much as quick and easy to put up as a brolly. Lencarta make them, they just costs a lot more. V nice too.

The biggest difference between umbrellas is not so much the light they present to the subject (which is largely defined by their size) but how much they spill everywhere else. Shoot-throughs are bad for this. They project light over a very wide area, pretty much 180 degrees, and since half the light is bounced out of the back it goes all around the room. Instant fill-in - if that's what you want - but not much control.

You could get a rapid folding softbox - pretty much as quick and easy to put up as a brolly. Lencarta make them

Yes i have a Lencarta octa 120cm folding one, not used it in anger yet, but they are soooooo much easier than the normal type, the only thing i dislike about it is the velcro openings on the rims, as i don't see any purpose for them, and i think they would be far better without them, however it's still a nice product, something i'm hoping for is this rectangular one HERE but i'm hoping Lencarta will produce a folding one soon, please Garry :)

Bessel also do folding softboxes for a very decent price indeed.

Bessel also do folding softboxes for a very decent price indeed.

Yes just taken a look, good prices but they don't do a large size one, ideally i'm looking for a folding one, size 180cm/200cm x 60cm/70cm but i don't think they exist :(

I use the 28" Wescott Apollo softbox. Folds away like a brolly and very light.
It produces beautiful, controlled light.
The downsize is they are not cheap, so if you still want to go down the brolly route, I'd go for the dual shoot-thru/reflective version with the detachable cover/reflector...Cheap as chips!

Get into McGyver mode and you could even velcro a black strip around the edge when in 'reflective' mode to get that scrimming effect and control spill.

You can of course partially collapse the brolly to get a more 'controlled/focused/narrower beam.

if you need a portable softbox/octa I would buy one of the Lencarta 120cm folding octa's - I'v had a look at one and I would defiantly recommend it.

If not Calumet do a 60" shoot-through/reflective brolly that's very worth having.

Back