Software plea ?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys & gals !

HELP please ? :help:

Having plunged into a new lappy I now need MS Office (Small Business Edition - as a minimum !). :(

The lappy comes pre-loaded with MS Works 7 but this is inadequate when I am in work mode. :shrug:

Any ideas/suggestions as to the best source for MS software please ? ;)

Your pointers/assistance will be much appreciated ... :ty:

Rog... :p

Microsoft.

try some of the opensource office gear.

we wouldnt want to encourage any sort of nawtyness now would we

I get emails all the time about "supposedly OEM & licenced" microsoft packages at discount prices.

If you let me have a mail addy or something I'll forward the details to you and you can check it out for yourself..

matty said:
we wouldnt want to encourage any sort of nawtyness now would we

And neither was I asking for any ... asif ! If that was the case I wouldn't be asking on open forum would I ! :nono:

More checking whether Works 7 is upgradeable or obscure/cheaper sources than usual PC World etc., et al are around ? :shrug:

I have kelkoo'd and there is quite a range of prices for legit packs - but who knows someone, somewhere may have more experience of this than me ... a mere mortal ! :thinking:

dazzajl said:
I get emails all the time about "supposedly OEM & licenced" microsoft packages at discount prices.

If you let me have a mail addy or something I'll forward the details to you and you can check it out for yourself..

Thanx Dazz but for work I need actual rather than supposed ... must pass MS on-line authentications etc., !

Well they say actual but something about MS products at 80% off makes me a tad suspicious. It could be all perfectly legit but as I've never had a need for MS stuff, I couldn't tell you.

All the office software we sell is here:

CCL Online

I couldn't tell you if we are the cheapest etc but we do sell the office 2003 basic edition (word excel and outlook)

However as we sell mainly OEM software, a hardware purchase is usually necessary - even though with the cheaper hard drives it still works out cheaper than buying a retail boxed version - and you can always sell the hard drive (or whatever you buy) on afterwards.

The NHS has/had a deal with Microsoft whereby employees can get components of the Microsoft Office package for about £19 - don't know if any other companies do this though :shrug:

open office 2 seems very very good to me. you can open the files and the formatting is the same as office.

ive got open office, its great for basic office type functionality, and its not bloatware either

noah said:
open office 2 seems very very good to me. you can open the files and the formatting is the same as office.

I will check it out thanks Noah ... but I need the excel and powerpoint functionality of Office unfortunately ! :thinking:

matty said:
and its not bloatware either

Thanx too Matty but :amstupid: ... "bloatware" ? :shrug:

bloatware is software that takes up far more space than it really needs, like most of the office tools, lol

I will have a look and see how big open office is Rog, i got it free with a new motherboard and not even opened it as i had a copy from my last mobo...

The student/teacher licence for M$ Office is "only" £90 , it allows you to install up to 3 copies on home computers. To qualify you've got to be student/teacher or parent of student. According to the T&Cs you can't use it for commercial use ;)

Hi,

I need to order some equipment soon, if/when I can get MS Office 2003 Std SBS OEM version for £163 plus VAT.

I could ask my FC if it's possible to get a version for me and you pay me, invoice provided.

Or buy Star Office 7 which will probably do what you want/require!

Carl.

Steep said:
Open Office rocks, get it, try it, no need to buy it! :)

www.openoffice.org

Got it, trying it on the morrow, didn't buy it and ... hope it rocks ! ;)

Thankx Steep (and others who mentioned it) (y)

Now need to check out the compatibility & functionality with all similar MS files as not so much info on their site. Will let you know how it goes !

Cheers for the linky m8 !

CarlOgden said:
Hi,

I need to order some equipment soon, if/when I can get MS Office 2003 Std SBS OEM version for £163 plus VAT.

I could ask my FC if it's possible to get a version for me and you pay me, invoice provided.

Or buy Star Office 7 which will probably do what you want/require!

Carl.

Thanks for the kind offer Carl (y) ... may well consider taking you up on that one ... how much time do I got ?

Not heard of Star Office 7 but have just downloaded OpenOffice to test out tomorrow.

WTS ... ;)

Star Office 7 is the commercial version of OpenOffice, distributed by Sun Microsystems.

I'll PM you if I get any further today.

Carl.

Back