Software to store photos (iPhone)

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I just got a 256GB iPhone and was wondering if theres anyway to backup photos from the SD card dongle without adding them to my iCloud library. I would like to do this just incase anything happened to my SD cards.

I dont want to add them to my iCloud as I won't have great wifi and I would rather it only backed up any photos i take on my phone to the cloud.

I just got a 256GB iPhone and was wondering if theres anyway to backup photos from the SD card dongle without adding them to my iCloud library. I would like to do this just incase anything happened to my SD cards.

I dont want to add them to my iCloud as I won't have great wifi and I would rather it only backed up any photos i take on my phone to the cloud.

If you go into settings then your ID, then iCloud you can disable Photos being uploaded.

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

It’s not selective so is all or nothing but it will stop Photos being uploaded.

As @stevelmx5 says, I don't think there's a way of telling Photos what to back up to iCloud - it's either on or off.

If your wifi is poor, what's your data contract like for your phone ? Unless your trying to upload multiple GBs of RAW images every day, a good data contract should cover your needs.

I was hoping to keep them seperate if possible. I don’t really want to dump them in to my icloud until they have been edited.
I did think about about turning off iCloud but then it wouldn’t back up any photos I took with the phone.
I migrated a few years ago and this will be my first trip back to the UK so I don’t have a data plan to use anyway.

I was kind of just looking for a 3rd party app to store them incase the SD cards got lost for whatever reason. If it’s not possible it’s not a huge deal I guess.

You could use Dropbox/iCloud Drive on your phone instead (you’d need an account with enough storage). You then transfer the images to your phone via the dongle (offline), add them to the Dropbox app then delete them from Photos on the phone. Whenever you have Wi-Fi, Dropbox will slowly upload them to the cloud or you can disable synchronisation and just keep them local.

Edit: Sorry, I’ve just read the post above that suggests doing the same!

There are many ways. I personally use Google photos to store my images on their servers. This also has the option to delete the originals from the Photo's app once they are back up. Again though, its another Cloud based method.
Although ive not tried it what about saving them from the Photostream to the IOS11 Files app, using the local storage option. Might be a smoother method and no need for any other apps.

Thanks for the replies, I have found myself a solution.

I have finally got the Sony app working this in turn creates its own album on my phone and all the transferred photos will be stored there. Once I get home hopefully with my SD cards still intact I can then just delete everything out of that one album removing them from my iCloud also, and leaving any photos taken on the phone itself in place.

So what happens if you lose your phone?

Back