Solar security lights?

Edit My Images
No
I have been thinking for a while about some led solar lights for the back garden?

We back south so good light all year, subject to the wettest most overcast days, but wonder just how good such lamps are....... especially as I also need one on the west facing wall that is shaded by a tree or two depending on the time of day/year.

So, I would welcome suggestions based on usage experiences as to what would be a good choice of make & model.

Thanks for your insights and suggestions :)

PS they don't need to be floodlight brightness but a wide spread illumination would be ideal :)

I looked at this awhile ago, to replace a ( wired) 100w halogen PIR light.
It seems the charging and run times are rather optimistic.

I settled on a 20w led replacement ( still wired)
It's not quite as good, but it still illuminates the front drive / garden to a reasonable level.

Obviously if you are looking for a constant light source all the above is no use to you.

I looked at this awhile ago, to replace a ( wired) 100w halogen PIR light.

I settled on a 20w led replacement ( still wired)
It's not quite as good, but it still illuminates the front drive / garden to a reasonable level.

Obviously if you are looking for a constant light source all the above is no use to you.
I suppose 'security' light is rather overkill......more intended to provide illumination when going out when dark as needed as well as to come on should we get any wildlife triggering it/them.

Though we have external mains power (plugging the mower in) I would rather not run cables up the wall and across if I can avoid it?

I hate these things going on and off all night.
Lucky enough to still see the stars, much more light pollution and we won't

I suppose 'security' light is rather overkill......
Fair enough, But I guess my original comment still stands ..

I hate these things going on and off all night.
It depends how they are set up.
Mine goes off when someone walks up or down the drive cats and the like don't trigger it.
So if it goes off I can be pretty sure that "someone" is about.

It depends how they are set up.
Mine goes off when someone walks up or down the drive cats and the like don't trigger it.
So if it goes off I can be pretty sure that "someone" is about.
You are in the minority then, most of those I see activate for practically nothing.
Become as useless as car alarms if nobody takes any notice of them.

Last edited:
The security type work ok, Smart Garden/Solar are one of the main suppliers, go for the ones in the silver and black box. Its enough to see by, you wouldnt want to read by them but most solar lights are so dim a candle would be brighter.

That Toostation one ^ looks decent. Avoid the real cheap stuff, firstly they’re not waterproof, secondly they put really rubbish batteries in them that won’t recharge after a while.

Back