Solar Storm to hit earth soon!

Except for viewers in Scotland, looks like it's going to be cloudy here :(

Looks quite exciting, I will definately keep my eyes open tomorrow evening as suggested in that news article. Hopefully the skies will be clear enough to see something at least!

I'm not that clued up on this sort of stuff. But when might we see something? News story says 06:00 - 10:00 GMT :thinking:

Ah, just seen it

In the UK, the best chance to see them will be on Thursday night, the British Geological Survey says.

Is there any 'best' time?

Is there any 'best' time?
According to Aurora Watch UK:

You need a certain amount of luck to see a bright aurora, as individual displays may only last a few minutes. The display will often repeat many times during a night, so it is worth waiting after an aurora has gone quiet. Also, very big storms will run for a couple of days, so checking the night after a display may produce results. The best time of night to look is in the few hours either side of midnight, when the skies are darkest and the auroral oval goes the furthest south.

So you reckon tonight for the UK :)? Hmm, we are forecast cloud here tonight but I'll keep an eye out!

Oh and before I forget, here's a projected image of the Sunspot in question (1429) which is the cause of so much 'space weather' during the past 24 hours. A simple point-and-shoot method with the DSLR and telescope in combo.

ss.jpg

Activity is apparently around Kp of 4 currently - (need 5 for it to begin to be visible in the Scottish Borders according to the local aurora guru... more for further south - ie. England)

I think the moon will make it too bright to see much unless it's spectacularly good.
However the moonlight could be useful for lighting some foreground objects so worth going out if the forecasts come good.

They're on twitter too; might be easier to keep up to date that way @Aurora_Alerts

I heard about this on the radio earlier. Trouble is, we have heavy cloud and rain - as usual - and the chances of seeing anything short of a UFO's searchlights are pretty remote!

I'm in Sweden at the moment and got quite excited when I read about this, thinking that I might be in with a chance of seeing some aurora activity. Unfortunately, it's about as cloudy as you can get, so no chance tonight. Flying back tomorrow evening but probably too early to see anything from above cloud level. :crying:

Hmm - a little cloudy here too, so nothing to see outside. I guess the idea of seeing the northern lights down in the south was always going to be a long shot..

rain - rain - rain

Here's the only change I will ever have of seeing the aurora

skyrim.jpg

Viewed from central mountains in Skyrim.:D

I'm in Sweden at the moment and got quite excited when I read about this, thinking that I might be in with a chance of seeing some aurora activity. Unfortunately, it's about as cloudy as you can get, so no chance tonight. Flying back tomorrow evening but probably too early to see anything from above cloud level. :crying:

where abouts are you?!? Is crystal clear here in Gothenburg!!

where abouts are you?!? Is crystal clear here in Gothenburg!!

I'm in Gotene. Just been out and checked again and it's still cloudy.

You should have a pretty good chance of seeing something though...

Last edited:
can you remember the rough camera settings?!?

Have you been to Lacko castle near there?? Looks beautiful!!

I can't remember but there was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago that had some settings :thinking:

It's the first time I've been to this area of Sweden, but it is really beautiful. I had an hour or so this afternoon so went for a drive through the Kinnekulle area - absolutely gorgeous and lookng really spectacular with a light covering of snow. Not been to Lacko though. I love Sweden, it's a great country and this area would be worth a longer visit with hiking boots and full togging gear! Are you living here or visiting?

I've just received a red alert ("It is likely that aurora will be visible from everywhere in the UK") email from Aurora Watch. First time since I started subscribing to the service. Shame the sun has just come up!

What happened? I'm still here, telly's working, got internet and phones are still operating!

:D

Very typically the sun is up now, plus it's raining so those two factors alone rule out seeing anything until evening later on (assuming the CME wave is still passing.) On the Aurora Oval it looks like had it happened 5 hours before (and with clear skies) even the South could have at least seen something. C'est la vie.

http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/

Weather looking good over in Fife for this evening, so going on a wee hunt for somewhere dark.
So hoping I can get a view of them tonight.

Weather a bit dodgy on Skye but I'm going to go out after dark anyway. Its worth a go as the levels are exceptionally high tonight.

Weather looking good over in Fife for this evening, so going on a wee hunt for somewhere dark.
So hoping I can get a view of them tonight.

Yep, thinking about driving up to Kingsbarns beach, or Balcomie tonight. The light pollution at both should be quite low. May also try the west sands at st Andrews but as far away from the town as possible! Good luck anyway Keith/Marie

normally the 'nodes' at Sunrise/Sunset have lower geomagentic activity due to the curvature of the Earth (linear sight) and the way the ionosphere is placed in allowing CME particles to heat it. Facing the Sun typically is where the geomagnetic field is at it's lowest..in part thanks to the magnetic 'tail' Earth has. Meaning on the other side of the globe (where the tail is) the isotopic rebound causes the flux's to lower within the upper atmosphere.

Back