Solarization

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if any of you ever solarize your images? With film it's achieved by removing the lid of the developing tank about half way through development, exposing to a bright light held over the tank, replacing the lid and continuing to the full development time. What happens is that the bright light reverses some of the partly developed image, so you end up with an image which is part positive - part negative. It's sometimes referred to as the Sabbatier Effect, although that is something slightly different. I'm damned if I can remember the difference now. :?

You can get some pretty fantastic effects with this technique. The good news is we have a pretty good simulation of it in Photoshop etc with a simple one button solution called 'Solarize' (LOL) You can use it for colour or B&W images. Do yourself a big favour and have a play with this effect and some of your images. You can set the level or threshold of how much solarization you apply with a simple sliding scale, so ....experiment basically.

solarized.jpg

You can get some great effects with trees and landscapes. I'm surprised we're not seeng some of this from some of our more trendy members - Petemc :wink: Lolyton (Where is he btw?) etc

In th film 'Deliverance' the scene where John Voight climbs up that rock face to get that geezer with his crossbow, the whole scene is solarized and it gives it a really gritty eerie appearance. Look out for it next time it's on TV.

Come on then it's like a graveyard this morning, lets see some examples. :D

My old dimage 7i used to take shots in solarised mode. I'll see if I can find any of them later on. it could give some fairly dramatic results

And a colour one...

solarize2.jpg

Everything looked like that in the sixties anyway! :wink:

This is infectious! :D

dv10.jpg

You mean the slider for the levels Dave? It comes up automatically when you use the 'Solarize' filter in PSP. Someone will tell you how to do it in Photoshop - I don't have photoshop installed at the moment.

Some nice ones fellers. 8)

I'm just off to catch the bust up in Hell's Kitchen (Sad I know)

took these a while ago while waiting for the wife, this is more or less how they came from the camera (Dimage 7i)

solmirror.jpg

sollan.jpg

Mypix did one of these a little while ago, i wonder if i can find it.....

mondeo832aaMedium.jpg

thanks for diggin that out m8, i seem to remember it wasnt that popular at the time, lol funny how trends change

MP :wink:

IanC_UK said:
MyPix said:
thanks for diggin that out m8, i seem to remember it wasnt that popular at the time, lol funny how trends change

Tastes change mate ! :) like the weather !

so.maybe i was ahead of my time ?

or was i too late for the last time ?

who will ever know, anyway , there was one i made earlier

MP 8)

DaveG said:
Yes, need to know for Photoshop 7.

Dave I think it may be just a fixed parameter filter in Photoshop.

MyPix said:

Never mind mate - you can't win 'em all. :wink: The thing about solarization is it isn't just some fancy Photoshop filter, it was a recognized film process long before digital hit the scene. It's not everyone's cuppa tea, and it suits some shots better than others. It's something which is handy to know about and another string to your bow.

I did some shots for a local band who were going places years ago. I took the shots at a gig and I was pretty chuffed with the results. When they saw them they liked them but thought they weren't 'Way out' enough. I solarized 'em and they were ecstatic. :shock:

I think they're stacking shelves at Asda now. I don't think it was ALL down to my photography. :D

Back