SOLVED - Help needed please - Macro twin flash - differant results on 2 bodies

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Edit - Solved - details in post 14 - Thanks all (y)

Hi, I've always struggled with use of flash and now I can't get my head around an issue, I have a twin flash and I am getting differant images from 2 camera bodies, could anyone advise if it is a case of the new bodies software not talking to the flash unit being older or if this is normal .. or just a naff flash unit??

Sample images below, both taken with the same lens and flash set up but on differant bodies Canon 760D and 90D, Lens is Laowa 100mm 2:1 macro.

Just as an example I used the following settings on both - Manual, ISO 200, 1/200, F20, E-TTL - 100mm - Manual focus on a model Landrover

Brightest image at the top was from 760D and the darker was from the new 90D

Really sorry if I've missed something silly :)

Hope I've added enough info.

Thanks in advance

Gav

20220115130315_IMG_8758.JPG20220115134035_IMG_3838 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hiya. I've very little knowledge on this subject from the info provided I would set the flashes to a manual power setting as a test to see if the ettl is the culprit

Gaz

It’s clearly not firing.

Is it pushed all the way into the hot shoe?

What model flash is it?

It’s clearly not firing.

Is it pushed all the way into the hot shoe?

What model flash is it?

Hi Phil,thanks for the reply, sorry flash info was missed - Meike MK-GT620 trigger - 2x Meike MK-R200 flashes mounted on lens mount

Fully mounted and fired, I did some tests and on the 760D it would shoot at ISO200 but on the 90D the camera wanted to push to ISO3200

Last edited:
I've just tried a YN600EX-RTii on both bodies with a 50mm lens with the same settings and the image looks very close, so I'm guessing the Meike is the fault.

Just tried the flash on the 90D again, if I set the flash exposure compensation to +3 the image gets closer to the 760D

also noticed the flash when mounted to the 90D fires just before the shutter.. but thats just going by my eyes and ears

Out of date software on the Meike??

Last edited:
Hiya. I've very little knowledge on this subject from the info provided I would set the flashes to a manual power setting as a test to see if the ettl is the culprit

Gaz

Hi Gaz, thanks I will try that (y)
Hi Gaz, The flash doesn't seem to allow manual settings :banghead:

Jeez.

A headbanger for sure.

Hope you can find a solution.

Gaz

Going off-topic but important . . . Both cameras have APS-size sensors and you really shouldn't be using f/20 with this size, because some loss of resolution is inevitable due to diffraction limitation.

You shouldn't really use an aperture smaller than f/11. Just because your camera can be set to smaller apertures doesn't mean that you should use them.

With the D90 wanting to set a high ISO it sounds like it's not seeing the flash or receiving the flash is charged indication.

Not got any Canon gear but I assume they have some sort of flash ready indicator visible in the viewfinder, if it does, does it show the flash is ready to fire.

I use Lumix gear and I once tried a Meike flash that was supposed to be m43 compatible and it gave all sorts of issues Depending on which body it was fitted to, so it might be the flash not being fully compatible with the D90 but ok with the D760

Going off-topic but important . . . Both cameras have APS-size sensors and you really shouldn't be using f/20 with this size, because some loss of resolution is inevitable due to diffraction limitation.

You shouldn't really use an aperture smaller than f/11. Just because your camera can be set to smaller apertures doesn't mean that you should use them.
Thanks for the info Garry, I will make a note on that, I don't normally go with these settings, I just went with the numbers so they were easy to remember when testing the gear

With the D90 wanting to set a high ISO it sounds like it's not seeing the flash or receiving the flash is charged indication.

Not got any Canon gear but I assume they have some sort of flash ready indicator visible in the viewfinder, if it does, does it show the flash is ready to fire.

I use Lumix gear and I once tried a Meike flash that was supposed to be m43 compatible and it gave all sorts of issues Depending on which body it was fitted to, so it might be the flash not being fully compatible with the D90 but ok with the D760
Thanks Paul, I will check that out, I normally rely on the flash head LED.

I'm fairly sure it's the Meike trigger unit as when I used the Yongnuo flash head both cameras worked fine, the Meike eats batteries too, 5 shots and the recharge time is slow, I think it's a fautly unit as both cameras can't use manual setting with it attached.

I have found the flash heads don't sync at full power (seems to flash too early), the trigger unit doesn't seem to work with the 90D.

They switch off randomly now too so must be faulty units.

On the plus side the flash heads work when driven as slaves by the 90Ds own flash on reduced power

Thanks for all the help and input (y)

Gav

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

You'll be shattered after using all that brain power :)

Gaz

Thanks for the update.

You'll be shattered after using all that brain power :)

Gaz
Thought I'd update so people don't waste time reading it :ROFLMAO:

It did tax my peanut for a while but I got there ;)

I will muddle on for now, but will save up for new units

Thanks again for the help

Back