*Solved* improving 4G home broadband

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've mentioned a few times that I rely on 4G for home broadband (no fibre, shocking copper, tying to band the neighbours together to pay 20K for FTTP). Anyway, it's been awful. Very slow connectivity and frequent periods of no connectivity - iPlayer in particular unusable and all round suckiness.

At the start of the lockdown I decided that it was important to fix it especially because OpenReach have shut down installations. It turns out it was remarkably easy. All I had to do was swap the modem. Instead of the cool looking AI Cube that Three "gave" me, I swapped to a TPLink. It was relatively expensive (c£130) but literally within a minute of turning it on my internet speed more than doubled. Raw numbers aren't that useful but where I was lucky to get 2MB I now frequently see over 10 (25 this morning - I guess nobody else is up yet). iPlayer works, I can d/l apps and games in less than a day and I can even listen to Spotify while watching an online tutorial :)

Worth a go for anybody else with 4G. Same SIM, same location.

Here's the one I bought - there's a suspiciously similar on on deal of the day for 50 quid less ATM :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Configuration-Required-Archer-MR400/dp/B07S7DMY3H/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1151IR5KIIMMW&keywords=tp+link+4g+router+with+sim+slot&qid=1585547252&sprefix=4g+tp,aps,166&sr=8-5&th=1

Last edited:
Back