Some advice from the computer wizzes amongst you please.

Name
Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone, i need some advice for building a computer, mainly the components required.
My son is 16 nearly 17 and does a lot of wallpaper/logo design for youtube like this (The music on these may not be to everyones liking but it's just so you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ES827EDMM&list=UUxcWH8mGL4g62gb6BRvHohg

He also does video editing like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJdm-bWgxU

using sony vegas, it is a field he wants to progress in and is currently studying the relevent subjects at the local college. He has done small projects for people on the internet
He wanted a gaming laptop as he will also play games on it, the latest games hence the spec requirements. I suggested a tower would be better as he can upgrade the relevant components when necessary.
Now, as for budget i don't really have one but don't want to spend stupid money, buying just behind technology always seems to be the sensible option in this situation i have always found, hence getting decent spec but not paying premium prices.
Therefore i need to know the components required, except for the monitor as it will all go through his 22 inch HD TV.
I need to know what case, board, processor,ram,hdd, graphics card, sound card etc, i believe onboard sound or/and graphics wouldn't be sensible for such a system.
Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Cliff

With respect Neil, the way computer specs change the threads won't always stay relevant and the answer is in my post ;)
Thanks for the reply
Cliff

Thanks again Neil, i will look through recent threads, also, would it not be more economical to pick and choose components yourself and self build ?
Atb
Cliff

Thanks again Neil, i will look through recent threads, also, would it not be more economical to pick and choose components yourself and self build ?
Atb
Cliff
You end up speccing better components for about the same money. It's a fun thing to do mind - as long as you know what you are doing....

If you can hold on for a month, Intel will be announcing their new gen. processors (codenamed Haswell) at the beginning of June. Whilst not expected to be a huge leap over the current gen, they are newer....

but to echo those, an i5 with at least 8gb maybe 16bg, ssd plus large drive for video and a medium level GPU for video editing would be a good starter.
Yup... except for gaming you're going to need a decent graphics card (not up on those TBH) and I'd err on the side of 16G. For SSD I wouldn't go lower than 120/128G and a second SSD as your main work area would be handy if you can afford it.

Motherboard: Asus/Gigabyte with Z77 chipset. Pick motherboard depending on what features you need. I'm on about my 10th PC build (think I will be getting a Haswell board/device when they come out :D) and it's only now I'm starting to really worry about what the motherboard actually has on it as I have some specific requirements for my next build. Do you want to overclock? If so, you need a decent motherboard and a K series processor.

I also wouldn't skimp on the PSU. If it goes fubar, it could take out anything in the case. I'd be looking at something from the Corsair range. CX, TX or AX depending on what you want to spend.

Case: I keep coming back to Fractal Design (on my second Fractal case now) as a good tradeoff of features, quietening and cost.

Back