Some advice on telephoto lens please.

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I really wanted to get the Canon 100-400L for my 40D but funds are a bit short at the moment so I can't afford it.

Instead I am thinking about trying out the "Sigma 120-400mm 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 APO DG OS HSM", does anyone have experience with this lens?

Is there another lens I should be considering?

This will be mainly for Air shows but also a little wildlife use.

Thanks in advance for your help good people. :)

I knew just after I posted I should have used Search, Sorry chaps! :(

I own that lens and so far I have been a little disappointed because at full focal length it appears slightly out of focus. I have been told by others who have this lens that it is more likely a calibration issue and I have been recommended to send it back for adjustments. Others who have owned this lens claim it to be great. Bare in mind that it is quite a monster to carry. It looks rather small in the picture, but in reality its quite heavy and quite big. When I use mine I keep a monopod attached to the lens bracket for extra support.

Thanks for the reply Voodoochild. :)

From what I have read it would appear there are good copies and bad copies, I just ordered one so wish me luck!.

Thanks for the reply Voodoochild. :)

From what I have read it would appear there are good copies and bad copies, I just ordered one so wish me luck!.

You'll need to hire a Sherpa to carry it.

I had visions of wandering about with one getting wildlife pics. Had to revise my plans - carry it in a rucksack till I find a spot to sit and wait for the wildlife to come to me.

It's like a mini bazooka.

LOL, I am slightly worried about the size and weight but I do go to the gym so I hope I will be strong enough to use it. :)

Back