Some advice required on light trail shooting.

Edit My Images
No
I recently had attempts and getting a shot of my car at night with a light trail.
The problems I'm having are being able to focus or believing that I have it focused when viewed back on the LCD but when on the PC they are blurred.
Also location. It's the sort of shot I want to be roadside or in road but always cars about any time of night.

Equipment
Canon 450D, tripod kit 18-55 lens.

Out of focus, orange streetlight (top left is part of wheel on original)
013a.jpg

In focus but too dark
034a.jpg

Joe has really covered it the best bet is to go for manual focus (y) and the wide and high route to check focus, or alternatively use a very powerful torch on the section you want to focus on then use auto focus and then switch to manual once AFed (y)

If you 18-55 is the IS version make sure that this is switched off also (y) also if it's windy be sure to take your camera strap off (y)

Once your happy with focus dial in your aperture and ISO etc and take you photo..

Also try and avoid things sticking out from behind your car, a lot of the work in car shooting is location location location (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Turn your interior light on or light the car somehow, put the camera on the tripod, autofocus, switch the lens to manual focus, prepare the shot, turn the lights off, then go for it!

Personally I find manual focus is a waste of time. Live view too, for that matter.

Martyn's giving you the same technique I use. To use autofocus effectively it needs something lit to hook on to. So either light the car (number plate if shooting from front/ rear or wheel if shooting from side) and focus on what's lit; or if the camera is too far from the car for the brightness of your torch, leave your torch on the ground near the car, shining on the focus point.

Once focus is locked in, disengage AF on the body and fire a test shot with some neutral light on the car. This is just to check focus so doesn't need any creative effects. Assuming all's ok, you won't need to refocus until you move position of car or camera, or you adjust the aperture setting.

As Matt says, switch off IS if it's a feature on your lens.

Just noticed you've got a convertible and I said put your interior light on, but whatever, the point is still valid! :LOL:

Thanks for all the tips guys, should really help.
I did use MF but didn't light the car up first to get proper focus so will do as suggested.

Yep it is a convertible but with the roof up it does have an interior light.
Will take a powerful torch with me next time.

Thanks again, will post up when try again but way to chilly at the moment.

Back