SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
A few months ago over the darker months I processed some of pictures from the Pyrenees as B&Ws. I was bored and despondent with the foul cold weather and at the time seemed a good idea. I shared them on Flickr then promptly forgot about them.

A few months on and I am not so sure...but here goes

Ordesa Valley x2

_DSC4316 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4262 - Version 5 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Top of the Ossau Valley

_DSC3478 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

A break of light in the Anisclo Canyon

_DSC3256 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

That's at 200mm - the longest lens I have. Gonna need more reach to frame it the way you'd like - but it's a fair and valid point you make.

You could crop it surely?

It's No 3 for me; the others just don't seem have enough contrast for me.

It's part of the Pyrenees I'd love to visit, and apparently in a couple of years time it will be accessible by train direct from France ..... so I'm looking forward to that.

You could crop it surely?

It's No 3 for me; the others just don't seem have enough contrast for me.

It's part of the Pyrenees I'd love to visit, and apparently in a couple of years time it will be accessible by train direct from France ..... so I'm looking forward to that.

It is cropped - wide - I suspect a squarer crop would leave a lot of sky and trees below .

Contrast wise - they’re how I like them but that’s not for everyone.

You’ll enjoy the Anisclo Canyon and Ordesa valleys immensely.

No. 1 for me Steve.
Those long rays of light and that little highlight on the right hand mountain face are the cherry on the cake.

I'm sorry; I'm not to keen on these - I think it is the B & W; I personally don't think it suits the subject and not keen on the conversion - looks muddy.

Sorry i don't like being critical, but this is another vote for not liking the B&W..... I'm certain the colour version will have far more interest in them
Especially the first one with the rays of light.

They don't really do anything for me either I'm afraid, and not so much the B&W as the subject

I know we all chipped in on a Lake District thread some time ago where several, OP included, said it wasn't impressive enough and hence going to the Alps is a 'must'; whereas here I find the enormity of the subject doesn't transfer as well to the final image, and mostly as it all seems so far away with no means of getting there - where in the 'smaller' subject of such as the Lakes' mountains you can include a way to walk into the far distance making them accessible. This 'problem' of accessibility is why I don't like to walk up a hill to take photos (laziness aside lol), so a photo of a HUGE faraway mountain does nothing for me - though being there I'd be blown away by it all

Sometimes a great view just doesn't make for a great photo IMHO :)

Dave

They don't really do anything for me either I'm afraid, and not so much the B&W as the subject

I know we all chipped in on a Lake District thread some time ago where several, OP included, said it wasn't impressive enough and hence going to the Alps is a 'must'; whereas here I find the enormity of the subject doesn't transfer as well to the final image, and mostly as it all seems so far away with no means of getting there - where in the 'smaller' subject of such as the Lakes' mountains you can include a way to walk into the far distance making them accessible. This 'problem' of accessibility is why I don't like to walk up a hill to take photos (laziness aside lol), so a photo of a HUGE faraway mountain does nothing for me - though being there I'd be blown away by it all

Sometimes a great view just doesn't make for a great photo IMHO :)

Dave

I remember the thread.

Fair comments but subject wise these appeal to me far more than a boring little mountain in England. England is something I drive through to get to France from Scotland :p

I’m not huge on hiking but only the Ordesa Valley shots required a hike - the last two were taken from very accessible spots with only 20mins to walk to where I took 3 and the car a stones throw from the last one. The joys of a 70-200mm ;)

Last edited:
I remember the thread.

Fair comments but subject wise these appeal to me far more than a boring little mountain in England. England is something I drive through to get to France from Scotland :p

I’m not huge on hiking but only the Ordesa Valley shots required a hike - the last two were taken from very accessible spots with only 20mins to walk to where I took 3 and the car a stones throw from the last one. The joys of a 70-200mm ;)

lol - good job we don't all like shooting the same things or there'd be ticket sales at those tripod holes :D

Dave

Back