Some band pictures

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. Couple of days ago I took some pictures for the university's sound and lighting company (run by students). Basically, the event was a ball, followed by a band, and then DJ later on. My task was to get some nice bandy pictures, to show what the sound and lighting guys can do.

I brought my tripod along for some long exposures of the teccies going about there work, but only realsied that I had forgotten the base plate thing when I got there! Slightly useless when there is nothing to attach the camera to the tripod!

I wanted to have a go at slow-sync flash, but decided against that, as although those might work as publicity shots for the band, they wouldn't be so good for a sound and lighting company, and I didn't have the memory card space to paly around with. Therefore, there was a bit of underexposure going on to get these shots, and the nice rich blacks that accompany them.

And without further ado, I present the shots (only photoshop work is to resize, and desaturate a couple, EXIF still intact).

What I would quite like to know is what you guys would have done differently, either in the taking, or in the processing of these pictures (bearing in mind the limitations of the camera used, fuji s5500, consumer superzoom, max iso a very noisy 400!:

Some overall band on a stage pics:

stage.jpg

stage3.jpg

stage2.jpg

Some arty black and white pics:

sax.jpg

guitar.jpg

And finally, the DJ:

dj.jpg

Cheers

Chris

im very impressed, given that its a S5500 its even more impressive! i especially like the frist shot, with a wider angle lens you would have turned a very good shot into a cracking shot!

From a fellow Fuji operator I really like these.

The interesting thing is the focus on the lighting not on the staging which is exactly what they would be after. When I've tried these sorts of shots before I've made sure there was lots of smoke about so the light streams off and I think you've captured that well.

Thanks for Sharing.

PS If the local SU gets plenty bands take loads of shots then see if they want to buy any as publicity shots, loads of unknowns play the SU circuit. ( I remember working for Erasure all those years ago no one had heard of them... ok so no one has now :D )

unions also (of they're any good) will book mid sized bands such as the subways etc so if you ask the promoter you might be able to get some passes to midsized and up and coming bands.

the other option is to contact the student paper at the uni, tell them what you do, so them some stuff and ask if they have any passes for gigs they're reviewing etc, and then you can get your work in print. i went down this route but stopped because the editor at the local uni mag was a pleb and kept using my pictures and not creditting me. which also happened with the local paper who used my images a few times and never creditted me for any of them.

check out some of my band stuff on my site http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk

Cheers guys :)

Unfortunately the Nottingham University students union is rubbish, and don't get any bands, ever. There are some good venues in Nottingham, but I get the feeling they wouldn't particulary like me wandering around with a camera unfortunately. Also I rarely get the time nowadays to take photos (that's right, a student that actually does something!!! (see www.sifenottingham.co.uk)). I do enjoy it when I get the time though, especially when I actually get some good results!

Kimmett

edit: Whitewash: do you do this for a living then? Reel big fish are a pretty large name

Kimmett said:
Cheers guys :)

Unfortunately the Nottingham University students union is rubbish, and don't get any bands, ever. There are some good venues in Nottingham, but I get the feeling they wouldn't particulary like me wandering around with a camera unfortunately.

you really should ask, i befrended a local promoter in preston, by asking, and suddenly ended up getting free passes to all manner of large bands, as well as becoming well known amongst localish bands

its worth asking, even if they say no and most wont, most bands also love having there pictures taken :)

Kimmett said:
edit: Whitewash: do you do this for a living then? Reel big fish are a pretty large name

nah, considered it, worked out that it wasnt viable, i got to know alot of promoters and venue owners which meant i ended up with free passes to loads of bands

ive photographed
reel big fish
embrace
idlewild
biffy clyro
oceansize
and a load more besides and it hasnt cost me a penny, you just gotta get a few contacts (work the local scene) get to know the promoters and the venues etc. it might be useful to have a search for some local bands in your area and see if there is a local music action group or collective in the area (nottingham must have, ill contact someone and see if i can find a link for you) which should help with whats going on, which venues are good etc

you might also want to have a look at http://www.grassrootsx.com for band photography and also maybe some other photographers in your area doing the same stuff.

awesome, cheers for that. more distractions from revision :)

Kimmett

Back