some basic dslr video Q's - newbie help please

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I've been asked to shoot some video with my canon 1dx, played around with it a bit before but not v seriously.

So please excuse the basic Q's
1/ is it possible to hand hold these cameras at all without a rig or do I need a tripod ?
Or do I need an IS lens ?

anything else I should be thinking about ?

I use my DSLR's to film with quite a lot, both on a professional level and non professional level, Depepnding on the type of lens you don't really need a rig or IS although its nice to have. Wide lenses such as 50mm primes are good for filming with as when filming wide or doing a medium shot any shake does not really show up, however on a telephoto lens the more you zoom in the more shake will be visible. as long as you balance the camera body and lens evenly then you should be fine just try to avoid jerky movement.

Thanks James
Does it help to have an addiotonal viewfinder as 3rd point of contact when hand holding ?

I don't use the optical viewfinder when filming as the mirror is locked up, however I try and keep the viewfinder level with the lowest part of my chin if doing run and gun shooting as it allows for a decent angle and you can see the screen easily

A monopod with a fluid head will transform your DSLR video shooting.. way more useful than a Tripod IMHO.

Yes IMO a steady cam or monopod is recommended, you will get camera shake when hand held, just try it and view it on a big screen rather than the back of your camera where it may look all good! Also try to avoid zoom as much as, use your feet instead, prime or a fixed focal length is best.

Back