Notice Some big changes coming to TP

That’s a shock. Thanks for all the hard work @Marcel that you and others have put in. I do hope TP continues but as someone who has moderated a forum and worked in mental health services I understand your position and I wish you well should the forum close.

I would wish you all the best for your futures.

Thank you for all the work and effort entailed in bringing to us such a successful and engaging platform.

It’s unique “flavour” will be sadly missed.

Richard Dutton
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time lurker adding my thanks to all the team and best wishes to Marcel, as others have said health and family first.
I also would be sorry to see TP go.

Given my photo gear is mostly Olympus I admit to not being a frequent "logged in" member but one who really appreciates this forum and it's membership. Compared to other photo forums, this one has always been a breath of fresh air and insight and I sincerely hope it can continue. Thanks to Marcel for all his dedication and hard work which has made this the best managed, most popular photo forum on the internet.

John

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this, I have always thought that Marcel and the mods with their ‘no excessive nonsense’ approach have delivered a forum that is stable and professional. Times change, as do circumstances for people and that is easy to understand. If the forum continues and a subscription model is introduced, I am in, no question after having enjoyed 12 years on here and learnt a lot from this very knowledgeable membership. Effective and efficient moderation generally sails under the radar and it is easy to forget about those who give their time and effort, thanks guys for what you do and have done.

This is a pity, but I feel your pain.

I ran a few training forums a decade or so ago, but the social media nonsense destroyed them, despite them being an infinitely inferiour platforms to share knowledge imo, and the people posting having zero accountability.

To those of you proposing a subscription fee to continue the forum I fear you live in an ideal world untroubled by market forces. The truth of the matter is that no one really needs to pay for any content these days. Take Youtube, which is at present trying to force people into a premium service by over-burdening the non- payers with many, many adverts; this is the slow-motion version of shooting oneself in the foot. You can only get people to pay by providing stuff that you cannot get for nothing, not by making the free stuff difficult or annoying to access, that just p***es them off (it certainly has me). Alternatively take this example: Sax forum here Pete has a lot of free stuff and the forum is free but for paying subscribers there is extra stuff in the form of music scores and things which can be expensive to buy from other sources. It's a good idea that works in music but photography can't work like that, there is nothing that can be offered that can't be got anywhere else on the net for nothing: Reviews, tutorials, discounts, advice, etc. I truly hope that this forum can continue in much the same way as it has but past experience of being on forums where the owner has changed does not fill me with optimism. A tropical fish forum I was on changed hands, the moderators couldn't get on with the new owners requirements and they all left taking many of the members with them and it was a case of divide and shrink. The forum no longer exists in any form.

I wish everyone luck in this endeavour and I hope it works out just fine, perhaps things will work out better this time.

Regardless, thank you Marcel for your efforts and good luck in the future.

Last edited:
past experience of being on forums where the owner has changed does not fill me with optimism...

When any business goes under new management, we always do worry that it will never be the same. Some can be reluctant to keep visiting a business, once under new ownership. But hopefully with TP it's members will continue to visit, and contribute content to the forum, while attracting new members.

Thanks for all the support for us behind the scenes, particularly Our intrepid leader
It's very much appreciated and if we can find any possible way to keep going, rest assured we will (y)

I for one would be up for a subcription based forum, I pay for Photoshop £120 pa and I used to pay for Flickr too, many people on here I would ,guess, feel the same as I do, lets keep the TP family alive

Is it worth a Poll Chris or is a subscription route not an option??

I feel if a major advertiser took control, it would become a sales base site for said advertisers

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Marcel and whatever happens all the best for your future. Would certainly miss this place if it disappeared - would have to consider some sort of rehab! ;)

So sad to read this news about the Forum . I have used it many times for help with my photography and guidance on getting new camera gear. Not on it every day but have always enjoyed the warm welcome from members who are happy to help. Not to mention the amazing photography we see on here and all the links to help with photoshop etc. Thank you so much to all who helped run this forum and I hope you can find someone to take it over and keep it going.

A subscription model is potentially ok to cover costs, but it still needs an owner(s) and administrator(s).
I pay a modest sum annually to the Pentax forum, which is US based but popular here too, but it has a clear ownership. The problem with comparing to US based groups etc is that they have an economy of scale that anything primarily UK doesn't.

Thanks, Marcel for such a great site and to all the mods for keeping it so, best wishes.

Another forum I use, has a donation button. Help Support Our Forum server and software costs. It does get regular donations from a good few of the members. You can give anonymously, or it can display how much you have donated.

I joined TP back in 2007 and it was the first forum I ever joined.
Back then I was living in a remote valley in southern Spain. To get online involved fixing an aerial to my mobile phone, climbing out of the window onto the roof with the longest bit of bamboo, fixing my phone to it, and then fixing the bamboo to the chimney. Dial up was oh so slow at 56kbps, but we only got around 8 or 9 kbps on a bad day meaning it could take me half an hour or so to get online, but when I did it was an amazing thing to be a part of a small and friendly forum.
I'd like to think my photography has progressed a little as a result, but more than that I've learnt so much about so many subjects.
Thank you Marcel for your time energy and help, and hopefully you can take away the knowledge of just how much you've given me and so many others. Take care and enjoy your life with maybe a bit more time for yourself.
As for the forum, I so hope it can be kept going without too many changes, but a massive thank you to all the others who have helped keep it running so far.

I would have to disagree with that ... individually maybe but the mix of people, personalities, knowledge, expertise, photos, sales etc would be hard to find in one place.
Totally agree with Gramps. Also the member ratings can go a long way to giving other members the confidence to buy and sell on these forums. Lets try and stay positive until we have some definite news and not spread doom and gloom.

Well, after 23 years of on/off in these forums I guess it's high time I said thanks.

Thanks.(y)

I'm sorry to read this.
As with many others TP has been a big part of my photography journey so far. When my fist child came along 10 years ago I bought a camera and came here to learn how to use it. It's been a wonderful asset (apart from that one time I strayed into 'off topic' :ROFLMAO: :banghead: :ROFLMAO:), I would be sorry to see it go.

But ultimately you have to look after yourself, and I wish you well with that... Thanks for everything!

Very sad to see things come to this pass, I like others have really enjoyed this forum
So many thanks to you Marcel and your mod support.

However all private forums arrive at this stage in their existence, and it is to be expected, however sad that may be.
Some continue under new ownership, others come to an abrupt end.

My hope is that some one can be found interested enough to take on this commitment into the future. And with the energy to develop it even further. It is certain that there are financial implications to consider and a considerable amount of structural re arrangements to be put in place.

New owners might require a certain amount of funding to to complete the process.

All in all, it will be a time of change for every one, owners, moderators and members alike.

Let us hope that the forum can enjoy a successful and continuing future as it has In the past.

What ever the outcome my personal thanks go to you Marcel for carring this weight for so long.

Thank You

Marcel, admins and/mods, can I just say how much I appreciate what you’ve done for us - and no doubt given up - over the years, all for our benefit.

I cannot remember exactly when I became part of the TP family. I’ve found some references back to 2014, but I think I joined a few years before that.

I’ve sold and bought the odd thing, but more importantly the advice I’ve been fortunate enough to have received over the years has been invaluable in helping me progress my photography to where it is now.

Along the way, I’d like to think that I’ve been able to give something back in terms of the odd bit of advice here and there. None of this would have been possible without the Forum.

Like so many others, I can but hope that TP is able to continue into the future. If not, then we’ll all have the wonderful memories of what TP has given us, with the odd bit of banter along the way.

Thank you all so much for what you’ve done.

Thank you to all that run this forum. Will be sad if it can't continue. I've learnt so much since I have been on here and also read some interesting discussions!

I have had my disagreements with both Marcel and some of the mods, but I think that this is by far the best photography forum on the net and well worth preserving.

I would like to pledge my support for any future owner and would be happy to contribute to either a subscription based forum or if funds are required for the initial period a "go fund me" project.

Thank you Marcel and the mods for the amazing work you have put in to keep this place going, I totally understand why Marcel is leaving, good luck in the future sir.
Regards Roger

Can I just add my thanks for all the work Marcel and the Mods have done over the years for keeping TP going. I have (nearly) always found that contributors have been polite and well-behaved which I gather is unusual in the online world. And for one thing it has made me realise how many excellent photographers there are out there!

Like many others presumably I have taken TP for granted and not really known how or why it exists and how it has kept going. So it has been a shock to discover that all is not well in the back room (as it were). It would be a sad day if it were to close down and I would miss it. I would probably be willing to pay a modest annual fee for membership in the future.

Last edited:
Another forum I use, has a donation button. Help Support Our Forum server and software costs. It does get regular donations from a good few of the members. You can give anonymously, or it can display how much you have donated.

I inhabit another one like this too. They don't accept advertising. Every month there is a target amount, it is always reached.

I am always late to the party. I am saddened to read of your ill health and hope that you recover quickly and the stress of life is eased. Wittering on will only reiterate what has been written in the preceeding 6 pages. You have everyone rooting for you!

I belong to a motorbike forum that is basically an owners club in all but name - many of the members have remained even though they no longer own that particular bike, and they pay for the privilidge. It is modest, just £12 annually, but with 35,000 members that is a useful sum to run the place with. The subscription is worth every penny (£1 / month) just for the banter and jokes alone, but the collective knowledge is immense, on all subjects not just motorbikes, how to fix them, how to ride them, where to ride them - it isn't quite as PC as this place as you can imagine! The forum is accessible to non payers, but the subscription permits extra 'bonuses', private messaging and access to the sales section being the most important really. There has never been a single scam on there in the 16 or so years I have been a member. There are arguments, people throw their toys out and leave, but the forum is bigger than any individual and is still going strong and survives despite the anti-social media revolution for the simple reason it is unique. This place is the same but for cameras.... I will also pledge support for it to continue.

The very best of health and luck to you and thank you for many happy years on here.

I inhabit another one like this too. They don't accept advertising. Every month there is a target amount, it is always reached.
Yes that is how they word it too, surprising just how many do donate. :)

I can not see why this forum could not be owned or hosted in any English speaking country.
It has a solid base and tradition on which to build.

Is it worth a Poll Chris
Les :)
I think that would be putting the cart before the horse at this time Les.

. To get online involved fixing an aerial to my mobile phone, climbing out of the window onto the roof with the longest bit of bamboo, fixing my phone to it, and then fixing the bamboo to the chimney.
Now that's what I call dedication
I hope your signal has improved Steve :D

I am always late to the party. I am saddened to read of your ill health and hope that you recover quickly and the stress of life is eased. Wittering on will only reiterate what has been written in the preceeding 6 pages. You have everyone rooting for you!

I belong to a motorbike forum that is basically an owners club in all but name - many of the members have remained even though they no longer own that particular bike, and they pay for the privilidge. It is modest, just £12 annually, but with 35,000 members that is a useful sum to run the place with. The subscription is worth every penny (£1 / month) just for the banter and jokes alone, but the collective knowledge is immense, on all subjects not just motorbikes, how to fix them, how to ride them, where to ride them - it isn't quite as PC as this place as you can imagine! The forum is accessible to non payers, but the subscription permits extra 'bonuses', private messaging and access to the sales section being the most important really. There has never been a single scam on there in the 16 or so years I have been a member. There are arguments, people throw their toys out and leave, but the forum is bigger than any individual and is still going strong and survives despite the anti-social media revolution for the simple reason it is unique. This place is the same but for cameras.... I will also pledge support for it to continue.

The very best of health and luck to you and thank you for many happy years on here.

Hi what model of bike does the forum cater for please?
I’m into bikes have been looking into a forum , I’m mainly into Yamaha two strokes but also have a Z750 Kawasaki and a Suzuki bandit

Sad times indeed :( But hopefully it can be rescued in some form. Health and family always comes first, in my book.

But if the worst should happen. What am I going to do with this?

View attachment 315327

Mine was used to patch a thoroughly disreputable old Tilley hat.

In the future, it might send people to a 404 but I hope that some way forward can be found for the forum (and that our beloved leader stays with the forum as a member, although I would suggest a change of user name should he choose to do so.)

Back