some books help

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I need some suggestions for some reading materials related to digital photography. I read that people suggest "Understanding Exposure" and was wandering if there's any other books worth getting. I know I can get a lots of things online (as in tutorials and such) but I'm a traditional person and I still prefer books to hold on. :D

I just move from point and shoot to DSLR and I thought I learn by reading. And practice of course!

I've been told by some other budding photographers that

"The digital Photography Book" Volume one and two by Scott Kelby is a good read

I haven't purchased it yet but have had a look at the reviews on Amazon and it seems like its not hugely technical but easy to understand.

its on my list to get along with understanding exposure :)

I posted a thread asking the mods to set up a section for book reviews but it didn't get very good reception.

There are loads of books out there, Understanding Exposure is the main one that people recommend for beginners.

Depending what you like there's loads of choice, I recently bought several Lee Frost books and devoured the panoramic book reading it cover to cover in a couple of hours. Am now working through the filters book also by Lee Frost (can you tell I'm a fan of his).

If you can tell us what you like we can advise you better

Well, for starter, I'm looking for books on digital photography for general use. Just some basic book that teaches about those terminology associated with photography (like focal point, metering, etc). If I want to specific my interest in photography, then some suggestions on books related to portrait and landscape photography would be nice. :D I know you could only learn so much from books, but I like to start off from somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion above :D

I think that Understanding Exposure would cover all the basic questions you may have.

Landscape I would go with Lee Frost's Landscape Photography; some people prefer other photographers but I found he is one of the best at explaining and writing a book that doesn't make people's bains dribble out of their ears in a gooey mess.

Haven't read any books on portraiture yet but maybe some of the others would be able to help you with this

As a beginner, I can also vouch for the Scott Kelby books. Well explained and simple to understand. A lot of people complain about the appalling humour and cr*ppy anecdotes, but if you skip the intro to each chapter you'll find these a worthwhile read.

Back