Some candids... first attempts at taking pics of people...

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I was in London a few days ago with an hour or so spare time on my hands. I mustered up enough courage to take a few snaps of folk going about their business... this guy spotted me about to take a pic, and stood still for me. he was happy for me to take his pic and gave me the thumbs-up when I had taken it!!

1. Smoker....
london_palace-84.jpg

2. Three in a row!!
london_palace-87.jpg

3. Two in a row!!
london_palace-88.jpg

4. One in a row!!
london_palace-83.jpg

not bad at all that. Good candid indeed

Thanks Oldgit - I was in the middle of adding several more to the set when you posted. There should be 4 there now.

I always thought you needed peoples permission to publish photos. Obviously not as everyone on here does it... could someone explain the procedure?

In public places you are free to take photographs of anyone (even kids) but professionalism will obviously dictate whether or not you use this to it's full extent.
You are free to capture these images but you cannot however use them for any kind of monetary gain (unless for editorial purposes) without a model release signed by the subject.
I will usually respect peoples wishes if they ask me to remove an image I have taken of them but I am under no obligation to do so (at least I don't think I am :LOL:)
You should definitely take a look at the UK Photographers rights documents here:

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php

Hope that helps - There are an infinite number of variables to the points I have expressed above (eg - image manipulation, etc) but am sure others will contribute too (y)

Edit: Nice shots by the way John & well done for your 1st attempt (y) You do however really need to check the edges of your shot, moving back/zooming out slightly in the 3rd & 4th shots would have improved them a great deal imho & would have avoided edges of jackets, feet, etc from being clipped.
As a rule of thumb, I always try to give a little extra space to my candid images as it can always be removed but not replaced ;)

Thanks all...

*Mike: am I OK to leave these on here then sir? Will gladly remove if required.

:thinking: Sorry John, not sure I understand ?

If you are not using the images for monetary gain then you are not restricted at all & can post them here freely - if a random person approached you & asked to buy copies of the images then you could not sell them due to not having a model release (unless you did get one beforehand :LOL:)

Keep at it mate, looking forward to more (y)

If I understand correctly:

If you sell an image for money, you need a model release from any person in the shot.

If you are not selling the image, there are no restrictions on its use.

Just out of interest, do the people need to be identifiable for a model release to be required? For example. If I took a picture of a sunset, with a man fishing on the beach, but it was only his shillouete, would I still need a model release?

Sorry for the blatant thread hi-jack John :)

If I understand correctly:

If you sell an image for money, you need a model release from any person in the shot.

Correct.

If you are not selling the image, there are no restrictions on its use.

You cannot use the image for free marketing or send it to dodgy sites or anything like that - if the person is recognisable then you will be restricted in certain ways. I'll have a proper read up on this aspect of it as it is not something I have ever considered doing :LOL: & may be incorrect in any assumptions I make.

Just out of interest, do the people need to be identifiable for a model release to be required? For example. If I took a picture of a sunset, with a man fishing on the beach, but it was only his shillouete, would I still need a model release?

Nope, not unless he could be readily identified (y)

Sorry for the blatant thread hi-jack John :)

:LOL:

Excellent eye contact in No1, it makes the shot imo.

No2, well composed but with all three of them looking away there's nothing to draw me into the shot.

No3, I love the way you've captured the oriental lady's hair blowing in the breeze. It looks like they're both looking at the same thing out of frame which makes it a great shot for me.

No4, nope, sorry - the facial expression ruins that one

All in all an excellent set imo John :clap:

John, next tiome you have an hour to spare in London, can you give me a shout and explain how you got so good at candids so quick!! :LOL:

Very nice set, liking 1 and 3 most, plus I quite like the total 'uninvolvement' in 2. 4...would have been great apart from her expression...looks like she is trying to squeeze....err..never mind :puke:

Just a little note about taking pics of people:

www.phooto.co.uk said:
You are reminded that under UK law, there are no restrictions on taking photographs in a public place or on photography of individuals, whether they are adults or minors. There is no right to privacy in a public place, although photographers are of course subject to the usual libel laws in the same way as any other citizen and should observe them. Equipment or film may not be confiscated, or images deleted by any person or officer unless a warrant for such action is issued. Any attempt without a warrant is considered assault under UK law.

This was a suggestion on that site to have this in your camera bag, incase anyone pitchs up and kicks off etc ;)

Any attempt without a warrant is considered assault under UK law.

Gotta love that bit...that means even Police Officers, boys and Girls...lol

Back