Some Car Shots Creative Criticism Required

Name
Alex Hill
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I'm new round here but I love my cars and I love my camera. Only had my DSLR for about a year now and I think I've learned a lot through just using it and trying new things. I currently have a D3200 with the kit lens but I'd love to upgrade to a full frame camera and a better lens sometime soon, just don't know if I really need it yet.

I'm very much into fiddling with my images in Lightroom and use Photoshop to mostly to get rid of distractions from shooting in really not perfect locations, creating light flares, and for sharpening. Taken a lot of inspiration from GFWilliams' work, just will never be able to match it at a hobby level!

Anyways, on with the show and I would like you to be as upfront as possible with what you think of these as some of them are my favourites and others are just new bits and bobs. Mostly just friend's cars or my own cars. I'm just trying to improve my work so any constructive criticism will help!

Alex :)

I personally think the sun burst on the blue VX220 and Exige S is too bright. I find the Silver Vw220 also appears to be not quite level.

Apart from that cracking pictures, keep up the good work

Pete

I personally think the sun burst on the blue VX220 and Exige S is too bright. I find the Silver Vw220 also appears to be not quite level.

Apart from that cracking pictures, keep up the good work

Pete

Thanks Pete! :) Yeah I need to learn when to dial back my sun flares as it's quite easy to see it and think "I want all of that!" then only see it that way.

The silver VX is mine, that one was actually taken yesterday! It didn't stand out to me until now but it is slightly wonky and not level with the background!

Here is another one of my beauty by Guildford Cathedral. Tried to frame it using the tree but could have come in a bit tighter as there is some space off to the left hand side which I didn't want to crop out because of the nice blue sky there. Opinions?

They're very clear shots. I like the second one, but the street lamp detracts for me - well done for lining it up pretty much spot on with the door/wing gap though. The last one in the main set is nice as well. I think the last one may be better from a little lower down, so that the branches hanging down from above could be excluded, though it's mainly the one from centre that hangs left that distracts my eye, perhaps as it meets the lower foliage in the shot.

They're very clear shots. I like the second one, but the street lamp detracts for me - well done for lining it up pretty much spot on with the door/wing gap though. The last one in the main set is nice as well. I think the last one may be better from a little lower down, so that the branches hanging down from above could be excluded, though it's mainly the one from centre that hangs left that distracts my eye, perhaps as it meets the lower foliage in the shot.

Thanks :) I need to get a tripod that the legs can crab out on as that currently limits how low I can go at the moment in static shots as I tend to shoot with a remote at ISO 100.

I agree with your point on the 911 shot from the front. I hadn't noticed at all that I had lined the lamppost up with the door gap though! :p The car actually didn't move from the guy's drive and garage so I was quite happy with the results. Could quite easily get rid of the lamppost though.

True, I guess with better PS cloning skills than I have the lamp could go, just harder because it's down the edge of the tree line. I'm not sure what it is about the 911 shots that make me prefer them, just seems the reflections are much better and everything that little bit sharper.

Agree with @seaodyssey Very creative! Favourite is number three.

Thanks :) I tried to brighten up the car in that one and really make the blue pop. It was quite bright, being exposed for the bright grass at first. Used the pen tool in Photoshop to cut the car out, raised the exposure of the car by a stop and then ramped up the blues.

I like the first of the 911 shots and the shot across the top of the open MR2. The 911 is nice and contrasty (is there just a little HDR in there?) and that, combined with the aggressive stance shown by way the wheel is turned adds to the feeling of sportiness - just as a 911 should have, although I have to agree with others about the street lamp which should be cloned out. The MR2 shot has good colours, the red leather contrasting nicely against the grey bodywork and green field. The sky is good - not too bright and complements the feel of the shot. To be hyper-critical I would suggest cloning out the little branch in the top left had corner, I think you should have wiped away those rain spots on the drivers door and would have liked to have seen some shadow detail in the top right hand corner. Overall a good set of shots that you can be pleased with.

Rob

Last week I popped over to Super Veloce Racing in High Wycombe to photograph some of their amazing cars.

Again any comments welcome to help me improve!
These were mostly multiple exposures using a remote flash and light painted. They thought the light streaks were cool so I left them in for a few. What do you guys think?

So the wonderful folks at Super Veloce Racing got some more cars in for me when I went back. Just trying out some light painting with a torch. First up a Corvette Z06

Then a Lamborghini Countach...

Then I tried out some light painting one night on my baby VX220!

The last two (of the first set) are the stand out ones for me, I don't find the light in the last but one overdone. The first one however with the leaves just looks like it's been abandoned

Back