Critique Some critique please! Various shots from christmas.

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Just hoping for some comments and advice on the following shots. Took this over the christmas period as what i would say to be my first proper period of shooting with my current setup.

All shot with my Canon 6D, and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens. Filter used was likely a lee little stopper (and potential big stopper at some point....). Others shot hand held and some on tripod.

PP done in LR5, and whilst perhaps overly done in many opinions just trying out different looks/styles.

1. Blackhall Rocks - Seaham - NE. Photo shot with the little stopper at sunrise. View attachment 27910
2. Blackhall again. Shot on tripod in a wonderful dark cave!View attachment 27911
3. Blackhall again. Little stopper. View attachment 27912

4. Easby Abbey - terrible grey boxing day lunch! View attachment 27913

5. Same as above.
View attachment 27914

Last edited:
6. Easby Abbey - Richmond.
View attachment 27915
7. High Force - Teasdale. Unfortunately went essentially after sun set so was grey and horrible. Monochrome was the best i could do but i feel like it captures the mood whilst i was there....
View attachment 27916
8. Same
View attachment 27917
9.High force again - this time some what off the beaten track.
View attachment 27918
10. Just as i was leading high force, was terrible grey with terrible light so the following was the best i could get!
View attachment 27919

Last edited:
I really like the majority of these photos, so I'm only going to comment on the ones I'm less keen on.

3 Feels a little bleak and I'm not really draw into the image and feel a little lost.

4. One of my favorites, but that tree branch coming into the image on the left side is slightly distracting.

6. Playing tricks on my eyes, for some reason I find it hard to concentrate on the image with the unfocused area in the middle.

Nice work :)

I really like the majority of these photos, so I'm only going to comment on the ones I'm less keen on.

3 Feels a little bleak and I'm not really draw into the image and feel a little lost.

4. One of my favorites, but that tree branch coming into the image on the left side is slightly distracting.

6. Playing tricks on my eyes, for some reason I find it hard to concentrate on the image with the unfocused area in the middle.

Nice work :)

Thanks for the comments - i agree on 3 in hindsight, perhaps too much sky? i tried to get more of the beach whilst i was there but don't seem to remember it looking that good?
good shout on 4, hadn't even noticed it, will definitely crop it out when i get chance.
6. appreciate your comments, think iv got on shot at f8 or 11 perhaps but not sure if i was keen on it?

overall thanks for your comments, much appreciated!

I'm afraid I can't give any advice but I like all of these shots.

2, 5, 8 and 10 are my favourites. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments wissel, glad you were a fan!!:)

I think the landscape shots are nicely composed with a good choice of subject. The black and white conversions look a bit dark on my monitor. The architecture shots don't look as well composed to me the church (4) and the arch (7) look very cramped and overly cropped, possibly as a result of the 35mm lens. 5 Could have been cropped more heavily and concentrated less on the blank foreground. Try leaving a bit more space around the subject and then crop away in post until you are totally happy with your in camera compositions. You could also try using a different crop ratio for you portrait shots I find that a 5 x 4 ratio often works better in portrait that the standard wide ratio.

Back