Some crowns [yet nicer shot added]

Edit My Images
Yes
The first, an outtake from doing droplet collisions, and so done manually:

(click to enlarge)

The second using my HiViz sensor. Seem's to be all over the place in terms of timing :| They're a bit grey, not Flickr-worthy, but interesting enough to show :)

Crowntwo.jpg

Last edited:
hmm your not flickr worthy photos I would put into a photo compo :LOL: Great set as usual matey (y)

When you produce this long awaited video detailing how you do theses(y)(y)

Please also explain how you get the surface of the water/milk so smooth and how you manage the effect shown in number 3 with the different colours in one drop.

I personally think that the third one of the best ones you've posted on here so far.

When you produce this long awaited video detailing how you do theses(y)(y)

Please also explain how you get the surface of the water/milk so smooth and how you manage the effect shown in number 3 with the different colours in one drop.

I personally think that the third one of the best ones you've posted on here so far.

Oh yeh, the video! I was gonna do that... I'll give it a stab when I have a moment when the flatmates aren't in.. they think I'm a nutter already. Talking to my self in a pitch black room... well that'll just tip it! :nuts: :LOL:

To make the surface of the water opaque and smooth is quite simple: if you point a flash in the same direction as the camera (ie an on-board flash), the flash goes through the water and hit's the bottom, and reflects back, which look's pretty crud. However, if you reflect the flash off a reflector behind the water, the angle of the light coming back doesn't penetrate the water, and you get that nice smooth opaque surface. And it's smooth rather than wavy as I have just waited til it settled before allowing drops into it again :)

Number 2 and 3 were done on a mirror, with a white reflector behind. The flash was half on the drop, half on the reflector. A drop of blue milk and red food dye was placed into the "drop zone" on the mirror, and then another drop of blue milk was splashed into it (the drop in the middle of the red bit). Thanks for the comments! :D

Personally I don't like the last two enough, they don't have enough detail, and are a bit "washed out". I'll be having another go soooooon.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining the way in which the last two were done Ash I always thought they were done on water I'd have never worked out the use of mirrors. It's one I'm planing to have a go at later on in the year.

Thanks for explaining the way in which the last two were done Ash I always thought they were done on water I'd have never worked out the use of mirrors. It's one I'm planing to have a go at later on in the year.

No worries :) The crowns on mirrors ones are by far the hardest and most time consuming unless you have a timer, I warn you! :LOL: You have to clean the mirror/glass to a sparkling clean between every single shot, which can be hundreds. With the timer, last night I got those two keepers in about 30 shots I guess, which wasn't too bad :)

A (y)(y)(y) from me as I'm a sucker for a triptych, I love the last shot in particular and it works brilliantly with the black border.

Thanks Carl! They were done by hand as well... HiViz wasn't working at all tonight, I need to solder it.

yowzer to the triptych!! Fab as usual Ash!

Another from tonight, mix of paints, milk, dyes, alsorts in there! Done by hand again. Click to enlarge:

Ugh..
Honestly!-I despise thee!
I mean...Have you any idea how shots like these make us mere mortals feel?

Cracking shots!!
Love the last one :)
Very well done! (Yet again ... Mumble... :D )

Very nice Ash like the added colors.
I did some of that mirror stuff yesterday, good fun.
Will post them later. My drop rig fell apart so have to repair it today.

Allan

Thanks Allan! Wicked, I'll look out for some from you :D

Also did this one last night, looks like some lips?

Back