Critique Some from Edinburgh Last Might

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't normally do Urban type stuff but for some reason the last couple of weeks I've ben drawn to potential images going to work.. Heading into Edinburgh for something last night so took some ki and got photos thee and at the tram and offices on way bak. There wasn;t a plan (which also isn't like me) other than to take wander about and shoot what I liked. I hope this is the right part of the forum, night and astro seemed wrong. The last ones my favourite adn I'll head back there with som eother lenses and tr to get a view without the lifering

01EN1.jpg
01EN2.jpg
01EN4.jpg
01EN5.jpg

01EN6.jpg

Nice Set!

The tram one makes me think... (cannot work out the blurring, which makes me think)

The castle one is a bit orange, and maybe needs something going on in the sky? (like the great last one has scudding cloud)

And the Princes Street Gardens stage - I imagine a person in silhouette shuffling along in front!

Nice Set!

The tram one makes me think... (cannot work out the blurring, which makes me think)

The castle one is a bit orange, and maybe needs something going on in the sky? (like the great last one has scudding cloud)

And the Princes Street Gardens stage - I imagine a person in silhouette shuffling along in front!
thanks

it’s just the tram doors starting to close. I was set up for the tram stop shelter when a tram going the other way stopped and door opened right in front of me

csstle was lit like that, sky was disappointing

i would have loved to catch a rehearsal or a cleaner or similar on stage

I have a friend in the US who is coming to Edinburgh again in a few months, and she wants to spend an evening shooting low light stuff in and around the New Town and the Old Town, and possibly in The Vaults (rooms and spaces inside the piers of South Bridge, built in the late C18th, rediscovered about 20 years ago and a venue for paid 'ghost tours' now).

That's okay. She's a model, dancer, writer, poet and a few other things, and very photogenic. The problem is that I don't have the gear or skills for this.

My only digital camera that might stretch to this is my old Canon 30D, which isn't the best at high ISOs! I'll do some experimenting but can anyone give me an idea of how high I can go, realistically? Also, I don't have a fast lens. I could stick my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (Nikon F mount) on the camera with an adapter, and that might work, or I could buy an inexpensive Canon f1.8, but that's about it.

I could decline, and explain that this isn't feasible, but I'd like to try. This is just for fun, so there's nothing dependent on it. Could anyone suggest some settings to try, to give me a starting point?

Thanks guys.

Good pictures. There is always room for a different take on the castle.

I particularly like the last one. Balancing the light and dark areas at night isn't easy. I also like the lights. I'm always pleased with myself if I manage to get a starburst effect from lights at night, and I really like that row over the water.

I have a friend in the US who is coming to Edinburgh again in a few months, and she wants to spend an evening shooting low light stuff in and around the New Town and the Old Town, and possibly in The Vaults (rooms and spaces inside the piers of South Bridge, built in the late C18th, rediscovered about 20 years ago and a venue for paid 'ghost tours' now).

That's okay. She's a model, dancer, writer, poet and a few other things, and very photogenic. The problem is that I don't have the gear or skills for this.

My only digital camera that might stretch to this is my old Canon 30D, which isn't the best at high ISOs! I'll do some experimenting but can anyone give me an idea of how high I can go, realistically? Also, I don't have a fast lens. I could stick my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (Nikon F mount) on the camera with an adapter, and that might work, or I could buy an inexpensive Canon f1.8, but that's about it.

I could decline, and explain that this isn't feasible, but I'd like to try. This is just for fun, so there's nothing dependent on it. Could anyone suggest some settings to try, to give me a starting point?

Thanks guys.
Martyn

if its photos of her in these low light situations in these places then i suspect you will need flash. None of the above photos were taken at high iso, they’re mainly long exposure on a tripod.

if you need flash and dont yet have the skills then there’s a little project for the next few months to build up those skills with a challenge deadline for when she arrives. There’s plenty of advice in the lighting forum if you describe the shots you’re trying to pull of which could speed up the learning curve

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input.

I have a Canon 430 EX 11 flash that I bought for a trip to the Cango Caves years ago. IIRC, I just put everything on automatic and it worked out surprisingly well, but I'll certainly read the lighting forum and ask questions there.

My 'model' mentioned a previous shoot on Skye and in a couple of other places, which included a lot of low light (no flash) work, but this was with a friend who is a professional. I think she was using high end, full frame, Nikon gear which would have given her an edge!

I'll practice and experiment in the meantime as you suggest. I enjoy learning new things and the 'model' is great fun to be with. I'll post results in a few months if she's okay with that.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input.

I have a Canon 430 EX 11 flash that I bought for a trip to the Cango Caves years ago. IIRC, I just put everything on automatic and it worked out surprisingly well, but I'll certainly read the lighting forum and ask questions there.

My 'model' mentioned a previous shoot on Skye and in a couple of other places, which included a lot of low light (no flash) work, but this was with a friend who is a professional. I think she was using high end, full frame, Nikon gear which would have given her an edge!

I'll practice and experiment in the meantime as you suggest. I enjoy learning new things and the 'model' is great fun to be with. I'll post results in a few months if she's okay with that.
Ask her to send you the Skye and other location images if she can. You can maybe work back what was going on lighting wise As part of the project learning curve

I like the tram with the movement shot.. Open doors gives a story to it for me and I like how the movement stops at the opening presumably through it being lit.
Thanks Simon

youve got me thinking on tram door. I now have to become a tram door geek and find out why theres no swoosh across the main opening. Is it because the shutter closed at exactly the right moment (accidentaly i would add) as i thought up to i read your post or did the lit part of the tram result in something else occurring

Hope its not raining too heavily when i’m hanging around the tram stop

The tram shot is also my favourite. The castle shot, whilst nicely positioned, needs some colour tweaking. Are the buildings in the last shot the Scottish Office HQ (not the parliament) shot from their rear? Just curious because I've worked in there a couple of times.

The tram shot is also my favourite. The castle shot, whilst nicely positioned, needs some colour tweaking. Are the buildings in the last shot the Scottish Office HQ (not the parliament) shot from their rear? Just curious because I've worked in there a couple of times.
Buildings are at the Gyle

I really like the second image, colours and tones are great. Theres also something about an empty, lit stage....it should be full of people but it is devoid of life. Great stuff.

I really like the second image, colours and tones are great. Theres also something about an empty, lit stage....it should be full of people but it is devoid of life. Great stuff.
I was waiting and hoping for a solitary figure on the stage but it wasn’t to be and I just liked the lighting so empty stage it was

Back