Some from my recent Skye trip

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Nice stuff Martin, 1&2 are lovely, light in the quiraing one is stunning.

I like the lighthouse one aswell as its nice to see a different angle of that spot, although it looks like it's leaning to the right a bit to me.

Nice stuff Martin, 1&2 are lovely, light in the quiraing one is stunning.

I like the lighthouse one aswell as its nice to see a different angle of that spot, although it looks like it's leaning to the right a bit to me.

Cheers mate....looking at it, you're possibly right about the lean, it was a bit of a headf*** to straighten....land, lighthouse, wall, what to go off....I went for a happy medium of them all LOL

Quiraing one was just a sublime morning and I'd have been happy if I got nothing else for the rest of the week after that one :)

The 1st two are masterful and demonstrate the importance of light in the landscape.

The first image is the best image ever taken on Skye. There is no better, there probably will be no better. It's definitive, it's landmark. It's right hand cramp time. It's unfaultable. I'm jealous of it.

The second is a very nice example of the Quairing. I can imagine exposing that would not be easy and your effort is strong. What I notice though is the top of the ridge is darkened down a lot presumably due to using a grad. I might suggest some selective shadow recovery. It's a pretty minor issue.

Neist point. It's a lot better than mine. I think I prefer the high view or right down at the light house but I know why you had to take that image and the dedication you and nick give on your workshop.

4 I like but it's not my bag but there's nothing wrong with it or anything I could suggest to improve what's there.

5. Fair play for staying up late. I like my bed.
6. Great views like this need light and reflections..lol

"Stunning" photography Martin, some of the finest landscape work I've seen on TP.(y)

George.

1st is stunning and I love the light on the second.

Neist point, I also think the lighthouse is leaning right and I'm also drawn to the little building on the top of the shot away from the lighthouse which I find distracting.

I'm going to make myself unpopular here - not for the first time i imagine. None of these images REALLY grab me.

I often agree with ST4 but in the case of No 1 I think his praise is way over the top. Steve - there ARE better images to be taken here. You might be the one to do it!

As for Neist Point lighthouse I don't think the image works well at all. The lighthouse IS leaning quite badly and the hut with its barbed wire fence is an unpleasant distraction. To use this as a focal point in a landscape is a strange choice in my opinion. The light is not particularly interesting and there are some strange colour bands in the sky. If it were mine i would have binned it.

Isle of Ornsay - The Lighthouse is great in conjunction with the rainbow but it is a shame there wasn't better light on the Lighthouse itself. I might have composed it slightly differently myself but that's a personal thing. As it is a square crop might improve it..

Northern Lights - Yes, a good image and the sky is just luminous. I can see why you have included the cottage but the telegraph pole in the foreground and the village lights on the R.H.S. make it look a bit scrappy, though. I'd love to have had the chance to take pictures there myself.

Loch Coruisk is just about OK in my opinion. Nothing more.

I await a good kicking.

Hi @jerry12953 I have tried this shot on the way back from Trotternish and I've been in the area quite a few times. Skye is a windy place and to put yourself here when the lights this good and the water this still, well, it's not easy to do.

I've shot here and got just as good a reflection but the haziness and harsh light of the mid summer morning meant it was an instant delete for me.

I rarely covet other photographers work, I prefer to focus on mine, but that's one of the few I've seen that make me wish I took that and I was there. I aim as you know for perfection but conditions wise I have my work cut out for me.

Composition wise I'd have moved a fair bit down to the left and shot the moored boats in the foreground and cottage on the lhsIMG_1477396758.777795.jpg

Thank you folks :)

The 1st two are masterful and demonstrate the importance of light in the landscape.

The first image is the best image ever taken on Skye. There is no better, there probably will be no better. It's definitive, it's landmark. It's right hand cramp time. It's unfaultable. I'm jealous of it.

The second is a very nice example of the Quairing. I can imagine exposing that would not be easy and your effort is strong. What I notice though is the top of the ridge is darkened down a lot presumably due to using a grad. I might suggest some selective shadow recovery. It's a pretty minor issue.

Neist point. It's a lot better than mine. I think I prefer the high view or right down at the light house but I know why you had to take that image and the dedication you and nick give on your workshop.

4 I like but it's not my bag but there's nothing wrong with it or anything I could suggest to improve what's there.

5. Fair play for staying up late. I like my bed.
6. Great views like this need light and reflections..lol

I don't agree on your first quote, but I knew it was right up your street as I've already said.

Regarding the darkened ridgeline, it looks a lot darker on the smaller image, but it isn't from grads, it's just shadow.

Neist Point was a grab shot from where I had my clients, as you know :)

6, I totally agree with you, but we can't control the weather, and when it's either a boat trip in or an 8 mile hike, that's life lol! :D

1st is stunning and I love the light on the second.

Neist point, I also think the lighthouse is leaning right and I'm also drawn to the little building on the top of the shot away from the lighthouse which I find distracting.

You're correct, it is leaning right, I should have checked it when I levelled the horizon, thanks :D

I'm going to make myself unpopular here - not for the first time i imagine. None of these images REALLY grab me.

I often agree with ST4 but in the case of No 1 I think his praise is way over the top. Steve - there ARE better images to be taken here. You might be the one to do it!

As for Neist Point lighthouse I don't think the image works well at all. The lighthouse IS leaning quite badly and the hut with its barbed wire fence is an unpleasant distraction. To use this as a focal point in a landscape is a strange choice in my opinion. The light is not particularly interesting and there are some strange colour bands in the sky. If it were mine i would have binned it.

Isle of Ornsay - The Lighthouse is great in conjunction with the rainbow but it is a shame there wasn't better light on the Lighthouse itself. I might have composed it slightly differently myself but that's a personal thing. As it is a square crop might improve it..

Northern Lights - Yes, a good image and the sky is just luminous. I can see why you have included the cottage but the telegraph pole in the foreground and the village lights on the R.H.S. make it look a bit scrappy, though. I'd love to have had the chance to take pictures there myself.

Loch Coruisk is just about OK in my opinion. Nothing more.

I await a good kicking.

I won't kick you, everyone's entitled to their opinions, and those are yours.

I agree on the first image not being the best image taken on Skye, as I've taken a lot better elsewhere on the island, but the conditions warranted the shot. Not the best light, but I had clients to worry about before my own work. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Stunning work. The weakest, if you can call it that is number 6.

The strongest and one of the best landscapes I've seen in my time as a photographer is the first, if I could ever get close to that, I'd be happy. That is all.

Stunning work. The weakest, if you can call it that is number 6.

The strongest and one of the best landscapes I've seen in my time as a photographer is the first, if I could ever get close to that, I'd be happy. That is all.

Thank you Dale, appreciate that. 6 is the weakest for me too, lacking in any light or real drama, but it's an excuse to return time and time again :)

Thanks all for the kind words and also constructive crit :)

Outstanding work again Martin 1&2, would be my pick but the others are great too(y)

First followed by second for me. Well done on capturing the Aurora too, and at least making something out of it as a scene with the cottage. Must be too easy to get excited and panic! The rainbow shot I like, and I wouldn't normally say this but perhaps it could have benefitted from softer water, just lightly reflecting the colours.

Thanks again chaps :)

First followed by second for me. Well done on capturing the Aurora too, and at least making something out of it as a scene with the cottage. Must be too easy to get excited and panic! The rainbow shot I like, and I wouldn't normally say this but perhaps it could have benefitted from softer water, just lightly reflecting the colours.

We drove pretty much the whole island for clear skies for the aurora, only to give up and return back to base, where we found clear skies. The cottage is where we were staying for the week :)

The lighthouse one was a grabshot as we were packing up, there's a lot of images I took from here, and had I been arsed to get the tripod back out, I'd have softened the water a touch lol :)

What an absolutely fabulous and inspirational presentation of top-quality work.

Back